Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PT0S active  (Read 40995 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: November 20, 2012, 12:17:13 AM »

We get some interesting propagation being closer to the equator.  I was looking through my CQWW DX CW log from last year and saw I had a 10m long path opening to the northeast USA at my 1AM local (15Z).  If the SFI is up, we often get this LP opening into the Caribbean also.  Sometimes it is the only time we can work this part of the world because otherwise we are fighting pileups from NA and sometimes JA as well.

73, Dave (NH2T for WWCW)

When conditions are good I often work the guys from Indonesia will past their local midnight on 15 meters.  That's really odd for somebody in my area. Although there are great advantages to being near the equator usually nature has a way of evening things out. I'd imagine the static level can be extremely high on the low bands.

As an SWL in my teens it was always my understanding that countries near the equator used the 120, 90, and 60 meter bands for domestic broadcasting because the QRN levels were too high on LW and MW.

I always wanted to receive one of the many Indonesian stations in the 90 meter band but most were low power and my antenna at the time was just a random length of wire so I never pulled it off.  I did hear many stations from China on odd-ball low frequencies but they were no doubt using much more power.

Chris/NU1O

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: November 20, 2012, 12:36:45 AM »

Both of my 15 meter QSOs with PT0S were confirmed via LoTW tonight.

These four gentlemen went above and beyond the call of duty, IMO. Not only are they enduring a harsh climate, getting little sleep, eating lousy food, and no doubt hearing about complaints they aren't working various areas, or enough bands or modes, they managed to have their aides upload our QSOs to LoTW while still on the island!

I was already going to increase my donation but the quick LoTW confirmation is just another reason to be more generous.

I have great respect for all the OPs who activate these God forsaken places that nobody but hams, Navies, birds and turtles, and some meteorologists have even heard of.  I'd like to work them on 20 meters as icing on the cake but if I do not it's not a big deal. These guys deserve a lot of credit for this wonderful expedition to what really is just a rock in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

Chris/NU1O

VE3YF

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: November 20, 2012, 02:30:56 AM »

Hi:

Well I think I had my chance and blew it. PT0S was just on 30m RTTY (1000z) and I went to switch antenna and then they were gone. I thought maybe the dreaded QRX, so I waited...waited and nothing... I looked for a new spot ie on 160 or 80 and saw nothing. This could have been my 1 and only chance to get em and I blew it. Why didnt I get up 15 mins earlier.....

73 De Mike
VE3YF
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: November 20, 2012, 02:57:24 AM »

Hi:

Well I think I had my chance and blew it. PT0S was just on 30m RTTY (1000z) and I went to switch antenna and then they were gone. I thought maybe the dreaded QRX, so I waited...waited and nothing... I looked for a new spot ie on 160 or 80 and saw nothing. This could have been my 1 and only chance to get em and I blew it. Why didnt I get up 15 mins earlier.....

73 De Mike
VE3YF

Me too! RATS! I got up at 0820 for 40CW. There they were loud and clear. And they worked about 3 stations and went QRT (or fell asleep or something).

I did work PJ7I on 80 for a new band counter. Even still, while I enjoyed working PJ7I and it was a band counter, I still felt like I got the consolation prize after losing the Big Showcase on The Price Is Right:

"Thank you for playing, here's a box of Tide."
HS0ZJU

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: November 20, 2012, 05:26:19 AM »

Both of my 15 meter QSOs with PT0S were confirmed via LoTW tonight.

These four gentlemen went above and beyond the call of duty, IMO. Not only are they enduring a harsh climate, getting little sleep, eating lousy food, and no doubt hearing about complaints they aren't working various areas, or enough bands or modes, they managed to have their aides upload our QSOs to LoTW while still on the island!

I was already going to increase my donation but the quick LoTW confirmation is just another reason to be more generous.

I have great respect for all the OPs who activate these God forsaken places that nobody but hams, Navies, birds and turtles, and some meteorologists have even heard of.  I'd like to work them on 20 meters as icing on the cake but if I do not it's not a big deal. These guys deserve a lot of credit for this wonderful expedition to what really is just a rock in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

Chris/NU1O

I have to say that they make a habit to stop and work outside of their pileups to NA & EU.  I was trying for about a hour on 15m cw last night and it was impossible as i really had no idea where they were working. At 19:38 utc 2:38am local they called for SA then Asia that was ok with me...

73 marc hs0zju
HS0ZJU

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: November 20, 2012, 05:32:09 AM »

This is not easy from hs between usa and eu. Speaking of radio gods ;]. Managed to work them on 10meters at around 11:30pm local time.

73 marc hs0zju

Unfortunately, I have never seen 10 meters open at 11:30 PM local time for F-layer skip. We occasionally get some sporadic E skip on 10 at that time to the Southern and Great Lakes states. I find it interesting as to how one's location effects propagation on the various bands.

BTW, Marc, that's a very nice catch!

Chris/NU1O

I really wish i understood the propagation better. The band (10meters) is generally closed at night. Last night was no exception. I am not even sure what made me listen there. He 9pt0s) was fading in and out and working the US at a good rate. I was shocked he even heard me and think he was a little surprised also..

73 marc hs0zju
WS4T

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: November 20, 2012, 05:48:12 AM »

I don't like bragging on the cluster, but I will post this message. A miracle occurred: I just worked them on 2 bands. Hopefully not slims and hopefully they didn't bust my call.

I was beginning to think this one wasn't going to work out, but first I got them on 10m SSB and right after that on 15m CW. Only a 2-hour investment overall. Man, those were some pile-ups.

Now I just have to wait and see if I'm in the log.

Gary, ES1WST
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: November 20, 2012, 08:12:30 AM »

I have to say that they make a habit to stop and work outside of their pileups to NA & EU.  I was trying for about a hour on 15m cw last night and it was impossible as i really had no idea where they were working. At 19:38 utc 2:38am local they called for SA then Asia that was ok with me...

73 marc hs0zju

I happened to wake up around 2 AM (not to work PT0S. That time is close to their sunrise) and they had a nice signal on 30 meter RTTY where they were working a steady stream of Japanese stations. They did take at least one break asking for only SA and Africa. They got a few SA calls and went back to a general CQ.  I think they are doing the best they can at spreading things around but naturally NA & EU will make up the bulk of their contacts due to the close proximity.

Chris/NU1O
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: November 20, 2012, 09:12:01 AM »

They had just returned from lunch this morning and I caught them as they started
calling QRZ on my third call.  I hadn't turned on the amp yet so made it with 100 watts.
It sure gets easier without those horrible pile ups.  Now if I make it into the log I
am set forever,  I'm too old to wait for anothe DXpedition to Peter and Paul Rocks.

yipee Allen Ka5n
NQ3X

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: November 20, 2012, 09:39:16 AM »

Just went to check if I'm in the log (I know I worked 'em on 30CW), and it appears the website is down. 

Curious.

Bob WP2XX
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: November 20, 2012, 09:41:45 AM »

Sight has been down since yesterday morning.
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: November 20, 2012, 09:58:59 AM »

Just went to check if I'm in the log (I know I worked 'em on 30CW), and it appears the website is down. 

Curious.

Bob WP2XX

Worked fine for me a minute ago.

Log is also on Clublog.   

http://www.clublog.org/expeditions.php
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: November 20, 2012, 10:54:23 AM »

Per their latest log update, it appears that some folks could not work them to their taste and have
complained that it is a poor operation.

http://pt0s.com/NEWSUPDATES.html

First of all, these folks should go on an expedition and see the challenges that are thrown at them.
These 4 fine men have been spending sleepless nights, have been facing a challenging environment on a rock near
the equator. Do some of these people know what the suns feels like close to the tropics, esp on a rock? Sigh!!!

To top it off, salty environment is not congenial to radio equipment, when it is hot and can cause equipment failure.

The ops have spent their resources to put a rare one on the air, so please be grateful that there are such people out
there that are able to do it for the love of the hobby.

So before people throw their stupid asinine comments, they need to think through and then react.

These 4 iron men deserve kudos and a beer on me if and when they visit Dayton, because it continues to amaze me as
to how 4 people are able to man the stations round the clock for 2 weeks.

Krish
w4vku
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: November 20, 2012, 11:00:46 AM »

Well said Krish. I don't know how they do it on that sun baked salty rock with little sleep. Absolutely amazing.

Well done guys and a such a great signal.

73 Mark N1UK
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: November 20, 2012, 11:22:33 AM »

Simply incredible. I just finished reading an e-mail, from Bernie, in which he resent George's response. I am constantly amazed that people can be so petty and self-centered.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: