Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PT0S active  (Read 38744 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 07:49:55 AM »

They do not have their receive antenna up due to rough seas and they are saying that the noise on 160 was S9 plus 10DB. ALL of us that made it in the log on 160 last night had to rise above that noise floor. It will get better.

That would explain the difficulty in picking out callsigns.  He actually got up to S4~5 here on my HyTower cum inverted L, but later in the evening the static crashes were still in excess of S9 which made it difficult to tell who he was responding to.  Hopefully this storm will have tracked further to the east by tonight so the band will be quieter.  Beautiful, clear starry night last night, but still lots of residual noise.  Hopefully they will have have the 160m RX antenna in place and that will speed things up a bit.  Agree that the pileup was large on 160M.  I missed the 80M activity, where I also need SP&P.

GL on 80 tonight! They are on 160, 17, and 6 (2235z) as I write this.
George K5JZ

With only TWO stations ACTIVE?  Pretty NEAT! Shocked

73, Gene AF3Y

I have run a DX Cluster since 1991... I see all of the spots and if you go online and check... you will see that what I posted was correct. I have no idea if any of these operations were a pirate but the PY's were working their friend on 6 and the world was working them on 160 and 17... beam heading correct... those on low band chat seem to know the op on 160. Perhaps they are running a dedicated 6 meter beacon station that can be used when the band opens? You tell me.

George K5JZ

George, as it stands right now, I dont think I could work em if they had FIVE stations QRV. BUT..........

From their website:  www.pt0s.com  :   

Transceivers and Amplifiers:
We will have two stations. Both stations will use K3 transceivers. The main station will have two combined SG-500 amplifiers for an output of 1000 W, while the other station will have a single SG-500 amplifier for an output of 500 watts.

73, Gene AF3Y

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 08:10:32 AM »

They are on 15 meter phone as I write with a strong signal into New England.  Transmitting on 21.295.

I just selected what seemed to be a clear frequency and worked him on my second call.  PT0S makes number 315 for me.

I'm just glad I have no doubts about hearing my call and I can now concentrate on some band slots.

73 and good luck to all,

Chris/NU1O

K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 08:12:41 AM »

they were loud on 15 this morning, working lots of Eu. What a huge pile, was really hard to hear who they were working and find a pattern.

Last night on 80 was insane. Also huge split and hard (for me) to find a pattern. I am surprised, PY0S/PS7JN was no big deal in 2005, got it QRP. I must have been lucky and didn't even  know it.

paul
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 08:15:41 AM »

If yinz guys with kilowatts, and huge amounts of aluminum in the air
are having difficulty, this just might be a tough row-to-hoe.
They are weak here, and the powerline noise has been back
all weekend, so lets see what happens.

Let the challenge begin !
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2012, 09:05:03 AM »

This has been a tough one to crack.
I was on 80m cw last night calling for about 5.5 hours. When it was sunrise over EU, they went QRT and they were
 still heard and could be worked. With both NA and EU calling, the pileup is horrendous and the chances get slim
without lady luck. Its hard to spot a gap nor the last Q.

They were/are strong now on 15ssb. I worked them 45kcs up. What the heck with the size of the split? Smiley

The same on 12m cw this Am. Tough shot with both EU and NA. They were working more EU.
They absolutely need to reduce the size of the pile by inculcating a sense of fairness to convince both EU/NA
to standby and maximize everyones effort. Oh well. It is what it is.

I won't complain with 3 bands in the log ( hope it shows up when they bring it online).

Good luck
73s
krish
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2012, 09:14:14 AM »

I'm just thanking my lucky stars that I was able to get through on 17M CW yesterday. I was trying for 15M this morning and it was a zoo. They worked lots of EU, listening for Asia, Africa, SA, but I didn't hear them work hardly anyone from the West Coast. Maybe a handful of stations and that's it. They are not making any particular effort, that's for sure Smiley

John K7KB
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 09:19:54 AM »

Wish their Log would show up online soon. As soon as that happens, I am "out of here" as they say. I just want one confirmed slot for this DXpedition.

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2012, 09:23:26 AM »

A few observations so far:

Apparently someone, somewhere, doesn't like these guys.  Intentional QRM seems to be at an all time high.

Pileups are extraordinarily large.  I realize this is an ATNO for some, but SP&P just isn't that rare.  It surely is no 7O or P5.

The pileups seem much more difficult than necessary.  Some of you guys are reporting getting through in short order and that's great, but I'd have to say that seems to be the exception.  There is often no discernable listening pattern for the PT0S op and his QSX is difficult to ascertain.  Even if you spot his previous QSO, it doesn't seem to do much good.  He just pops up on another unpredictable frequency.  Splits are often out of control...up 40 kHz?

It seems they haven't gotten their noise problem under control yet.  They had two stations going last night, one on 80m and one on 160m.  At times the 80m rate was painfully slow.  After my local midnight (0700 UTC) the 160m op worked no one, even though many were calling on specific frequencies specified by PT0S.  He eventually gave up in frustration and QSYed to 40m complaining of QRN.  Once on 40, he commenced working EU, which by then was in almost in complete daylight, ignoring an opening to JA and Asia which was short lived...something their website said they would be mindful of.  A lost opportunity.  I'll bet there were some disappointed JAs.

If you check a grayline map, EU really has the holeshot on NA for this one.  The distance to EU is not much greater than NA, and the grayline really favors EU this time of year from SP&P.  I finally got a QSO on 80 last night, but not until after he had taken a break and the pileup had diminished significantly.  Previous to his break he had been working EU almost exclusively.  I really can't remember spending so much time in one pileup.

I'm with W2IRT and AF3Y.  I thought this would be a chip shot.  Instead it's proven to be an extraordinarily tough nut.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:46:36 AM by K0RS » Logged
M0TTB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2012, 09:45:43 AM »

Wish their Log would show up online soon. As soon as that happens, I am "out of here" as they say. I just want one confirmed slot for this DXpedition.

We may have to lower our hopes with the online log....seems they have far worse internet capability than expected. They may be of the school of thought, a few have done the same, that if they can't do it reliably, don't do it all. And as for 36hrs LoTW  Smiley
Still early days, they may get it sorted.

I don't think all of EU is getting an easy ride with this one... certainly N.W EU is enjoying it (for a change) but further to the east very few UA's seem to be getting through.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:48:34 AM by M0TTB » Logged
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2012, 09:46:31 AM »

Hasn't been all that difficult for me. I got them on the 3rd call yesterday evening on 17 cw as I went into the shack after a long day of the honey do list.

AS for the large pileups, remember that SP&SP rocks is now officially off limits to ham radio, so this dxpedition may be the last one for a long while.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2012, 10:00:05 AM »

Hasn't been all that difficult for me. I got them on the 3rd call yesterday evening on 17 cw

...and that's good for you.  Try 80 or 160.  I would like to work them on the bands where I don't already have SP&P, not just any old where that I can happen to get thru.
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2012, 10:03:02 AM »

Ryan, you got lucky on that 17m cw with being in the right spot at the right time. Now, if you are able to bag them
slot after slot that way, then i will come over and pay for it and have you buy me a powerball ticket Wink Cheers Smiley

We got them relatively easy on 12m ssb and 15m ssb. However, 80m and 160m CW has been elusive so far.
17m cw was hard to log them, but not as hard as chasing on 80m.

The wall to wall pile along with no systematic pattern to follow has made it difficult. With yagi's and amp's, if this is what
it is, i guess the dipoles will need to wait for a few more days, and it applies to me on 80m with my dipole and/or quater wave
vertical.

Krish
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2012, 10:10:38 AM »

I was listening on both 80 and 160 last night. They have a killer signal on both bands but their RX noise is the limiting factor. I did make it on 80 (a needed band) but no joy on 160. I think it took about 3 hours to make it on 80, and probably only because the weekend warriors had to go to bed early in order to be up for work today.

Krish, for me it was the other way around. I was chasing them on 17 the entire day (I figured about 14 hours give or take an hour). 80 was comparatively easier.

I do wish they'd go by continent. To their credit, they do this for JA/Asia and SA (bravo!), but lumping EU and NA together, when they're equally separated from both continents and have similar propagation to both is head-bangingly painful. I, too, am looking forward to seeing the online logs show up. I have one very doubtful 12m call -- they got the IRT but I'm think they busted the W2--a frequency cop was chasing off a lid when he came back to me and I missed their reply.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2012, 10:21:17 AM »

Good work on the 80m contact Peter. I heard the Qso.

Btw, they have a strong signal into NA, about 20 to 27db on 80m.
Thanks to that salt water. Their 160m is ok, but if only they can hear better and
the pile shrinks to the advantage of my backyard vertical, will my 15 to 18db
signal be heard by PT0S on even 80m.

Oh well. Another 10 days of anxiety to go around  Grin
Krish

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2012, 10:27:08 AM »

I just added 15 CW and the QSO only took a few calls like the SSB QSO.  For the SSB QSO I know there was a lot of luck involved.  I just happened to see the cluster spot and call where he was listening.  That's dumb luck. For the CW contact I tail-ended a US station he had just worked.

Both of my contacts are on 15 meters where he is very strong at 20 dB over S9.  I'm working him on a band where I have close to 6 dB gain and I'm running 1500 Watts. If I were stuck working him on the WARC bands or 40 and 80 I'd hate to even think of how long I'd be in a pileup.

I'll try to work them on 10 and 20 but I'm not going to spend more than an hour on 40 meters trying to work him with my Inverted Vee.  Forget 80 and we will not even mention 160.

Right now there is no jammer or frequency cops. Just a very strong PT0S.  He's on 21025.55.  I was transmitting up 5.

Chris/NU1O
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: