Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PT0S active  (Read 47485 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2012, 12:48:57 PM »

So in other words you have a chip on your shoulder about me. Sad.

I have a good number of chips but they aren't on my shoulder.  They are blue and they are in my safe deposit box.   Grin

Chris/NU1O

N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2012, 12:51:54 PM »

Chris, Ryan has two huge advantages over me. One, a MonstIR antenna that has far more gain on the WARC bands than my Force-12 2/2/1 has (by a considerable amount), and two, a combination of 600' more height ASL and a clear takeoff path to the southeast.

That's part of it, but yes you are right about the WARC advantage. I have a good location. As you said, Asia is a bit better on your end.

But apart from Asia I'm doing pretty good. 3Y0E was audible and workable here a month before you did, IIRC. So I'm good in that direction.

Anyway the method has to do with finding a split frequency. You have to choose your splits carefully and I employ both my main rig and SDR receivers to scan the bands. For narrow splits on cw I might just open the filter all the way up on my main rig and watch the waterfall. Patterns and split frequency are easy to find then. I throw the kitchen sink where I see the frequency being the most productive. I'm not impolite or rude on frequency and I QRX when I hear the station calling. That is not always where the big pileup is (and a lot of guys are simply wasting their time). Sometimes I go to a quiet frequency where I can be heard. That works more effectively than you believe, especially if the DX is not using a pattern and just tuning up/down. The usual stuff applies - listen (and listen and listen). Can't believe how many guys just don't listen.

Maybe it's just luck, but I find it hard to believe that I would consistently be lucky. I found a system that works for me. Maybe it won't work for you but it works for me.

I have a much better path to Asia than Ryan, on the other hand, and he also has half the power coming out of the wall (811H vs AL-1200). But there's a LOT to be said for height on his side as well as very little man-made noise--whereas I live beside an industrial park.

For now anyway. That power advantage may be going away soon. In any case I've not found the additional 700w to make much of a difference. I run 800w on SSB and 600 on CW. Perhaps a bit more because my amp is wired for 240v and there's no sag now when transmitting. 

And what's really gonna surprise you is that I've never even turned on the amp for some of my best catches. No time to warm up and tuneup. But as I said, I might get "expert" help in that department soon, and run a QRO legal limit rig. Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:54:17 PM by N2RJ » Logged
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2012, 01:31:12 PM »

Luck has nothing to do with it. I have a method that works, and has worked consistently for me.

Care to share your method?  W2IRT has a much stronger signal than you and he isn't breaking pileups as quickly as you.

Chris/NU1O
If he's smart, he'll keep letting you believe that sig strength has the weight in a CW pile-up that you believe it does and he'll keep the method to himself.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

John,

I've only had a legal limit amplifier for a little over 1 year and the Bencher Skyhawk for just one month.  I did not get to 315 countries with brute force, far from it. I learned how to break CW pileups using techniques I learned in W9KNI's book which I read when I was first licensed in 1988
That book has become what I consider my best DX accessory here in the shack and it's my first recommendation to a new DXer.

John AE5X
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2012, 01:32:12 PM »

Sadly, the on line database is up And though I "worked" PT0S on 160 @ 1:33 and 80 @ 4:52 on 11/12, my call is not in their database. They have 533 QSOs listed to date.

http://pt0s.com/search.html

I took the liberty of checking everyone's call in this list and the only two calls that came up as present were W4VKU and K5JZ, both on 160.

There may be an unexpected number of pirates...

Rats... Back to zero...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 01:34:31 PM by KA1J » Logged
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2012, 01:36:20 PM »

At present it only shows 533 QSOs in the db so it's probably an incomplete upload.
We hope...!

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog
VE3YF

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2012, 01:37:45 PM »

Sadly, the on line database is up And though I "worked" PT0S on 160 @ 1:33 and 80 @ 4:52 on 11/12, my call is not in their database. They have 533 QSOs listed to date.

http://pt0s.com/search.html

I took the liberty of checking everyone's call in this list and the only two calls that came up as present were W4VKU and K5JZ, both on 160.

There may be an unexpected number of pirates...

Rats... Back to zero...

Guys:

If your not in the log, dont fret, only 533 qso's are this installment. More to come though. They mention that the LOTW upload has also happened but cant find the PT0S callsign in the LOTW list. Oh well can wait, no big deal.

73 De Mike
VE3YF
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2012, 01:47:14 PM »

Yep, absolutely an incomplete log and certainly from the very early hours of their operation,i.e when they came on the
air and on 160m. So not to despair. The Q's should all be in there and hopefully will show up in a subsequent upload or
else i would be darned.

Ryan, FB on the operating tactics. We have an old rig here FT990. Does not even supply an external IF for a panadapter.
A modern rig is what is lacking here along with a pan adapter. Well, at some point will add one. But for now, will need to
jump back and forth between the VFO's and scan thru the wall of noise.  Grin
Krish
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2012, 01:48:07 PM »

Sometimes I go to a quiet frequency where I can be heard. That works more effectively than you believe, especially if the DX is not using a pattern and just tuning up/down. The usual stuff applies - listen (and listen and listen). Can't believe how many guys just don't listen.

Not too long ago (I think it was a month or so) I described the way I broke a pileup in a post to this forum.  There was a big CW pileup, say from 14.030 to 14.035, and rather than join the gang I transmitted about 500 Hertz higher than the top edge of the pileup.  The DX station came back to me in just a few calls.  Since I'm a big baseball fan I used a baseball analogy and wrote, "I simply hit it where they ain't."  I will try to find the post and repost it.

Ryan, isn't that basically what you did (you avoided the bulk of the pileup) and do you think you are the only ham using that "method"?

Chris/NU1O
VE3YF

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2012, 02:00:13 PM »

Sometimes I go to a quiet frequency where I can be heard. That works more effectively than you believe, especially if the DX is not using a pattern and just tuning up/down. The usual stuff applies - listen (and listen and listen). Can't believe how many guys just don't listen.

Not too long ago (I think it was a month or so) I described the way I broke a pileup in a post to this forum.  There was a big CW pileup, say from 14.030 to 14.035, and rather than join the gang I transmitted about 500 Hertz higher than the top edge of the pileup.  The DX station came back to me in just a few calls.  Since I'm a big baseball fan I used a baseball analogy and wrote, "I simply hit it where they ain't."  I will try to find the post and repost it.

Ryan, isn't that basically what you did (you avoided the bulk of the pileup) and do you think you are the only ham using that "method"?

Chris/NU1O

Chris:

That is almost what I do, except once I know where their split range is, I just go up a bit and find a definate clear spot and monitor my freq to make sure a big gun doesn't clobber me. Takes me a tad longer to get the QSO, but it works. I guess its true "patience is a virtue". The same principal worked for me today in both my SSB contacts with PT0S, after they were done working Asia, SA, and Africa 5 up. I sat up about 8 and got them in a minute or so, sure beats sitting 5 up and in the big pileup...

73 De Mike
VE3YF
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2012, 02:01:34 PM »

Since I'm a big baseball fan I used a baseball analogy and wrote, "I simply hit it where they ain't."  I will try to find the post and repost it.

From the movie battleship - "Art of war:- Fight the enemy where they aren't"  Grin

N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2012, 02:05:23 PM »

Chris/NU1O

It's one of many things I do.

I am definitely not calling it luck, as my success with my methods are pretty consistent. That and a decent station helps too.
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »

Chris:

That is almost what I do, except once I know where their split range is, I just go up a bit and find a definate clear spot and monitor my freq to make sure a big gun doesn't clobber me.

>>> Most often, when i QSY up and find a clear spot way up and call, for some reason, after a few calls, the next
big gun is right by or on and then the next and the next and sooner rather than later, it is a wall on the pan adapter. Such
has been my observation with PT0S pile. Grin, but it works most often.

73 De Mike
VE3YF

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »

Was glad to see my 80m QSO early Sunday morning is good in the log.  I was listening to the 80m and 40m pileups last night/early this morning and they were as rough and disorderly as I've ever seen.  When PT0S came back to someone, it seemed 90% of the pileup came back to him, becuse my P3 panadaptor display didn't look any different than if he had sent QRZ?

It wasn't nearly as bad on Sunday morning, perhaps the hordes weren't yet aware the operation was QRV.

GL to all & 73,
Chuck  NI0C
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2012, 02:39:31 PM »

You guys working PY0S on 30, 40, 80 and especially 160 meters deserve much credit.  It's still not prime time for Low Band DXing and the QRN levels are still high.

And, aside from 40 meters the great majority of QSOs are with wire antennas.

ON4UN has encouraged me to load up my tower but even if I do that there is not a whole lot of space to lay ground radials due to a swimming pool and a small yard to start with. 

I just asked my neighbor to trim some branches which are in my yard and hitting my beam when the tower is cranked down but the work will have to be done in his yard and he didn't even want to go and look at the trees.  He just said it was OK to do.  I've found out he is very likely putting the house up for sale next spring and retiring to Florida.  Now, if I could lay buried radials all over his yard and combine them with the few in my yard I'd have a decent radial system.

Since I would only be going down a few inches the odds are very slim that I would break his sprinkler system.  I could also string up an 80 meter dipole using one of his trees and hope the new owners don't notice or care.

Anybody have any thoughts? This current neighbor never said boo to me in all the years he has lived here so I'm probably due for a bad neighbor. It's either lay the ground system in the spring when he moves or forget about a decent radial system. What do I do?

Chris/NU1O
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2012, 02:40:27 PM »

My 40M CW contact is in their log! That is the one I was worried about, as the noise level here was extremely high and I was half asleep, being awoken by DXHunter!

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: