Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PT0S active  (Read 32656 times)
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 10:30:42 AM »

Ryan, you got lucky on that 17m cw with being in the right spot at the right time. Now, if you are able to bag them
slot after slot that way, then i will come over and pay for it and have you buy me a powerball ticket Wink Cheers Smiley

Luck has nothing to do with it. I have a method that works, and has worked consistently for me.
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2012, 10:45:20 AM »

Just got em on 15m cw. 15 minutes of jumping around.
Krish
w4vku
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2012, 10:52:19 AM »

Good work Chris.

I just got him on 15m cw.  It took about a million calls at 1500 watts.

I need to take a break.

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2012, 11:00:44 AM »

Luck has nothing to do with it. I have a method that works, and has worked consistently for me.

Care to share your method?  W2IRT has a much stronger signal than you and he isn't breaking pileups as quickly as you.

You are lucky.  The difference is I will admit it and you will not.

Chris/NU1O
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2012, 11:37:50 AM »

I was only able to get through by spotting a weak station that I assume most folks couldn't find.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2012, 11:44:14 AM »

Chris, Ryan has two huge advantages over me. One, a MonstIR antenna that has far more gain on the WARC bands than my Force-12 2/2/1 has (by a considerable amount), and two, a combination of 600' more height ASL and a clear takeoff path to the southeast. I have a much better path to Asia than Ryan, on the other hand, and he also has half the power coming out of the wall (811H vs AL-1200). But there's a LOT to be said for height on his side as well as very little man-made noise--whereas I live beside an industrial park.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »

Care to share your method?  W2IRT has a much stronger signal than you and he isn't breaking pileups as quickly as you.

Chris/NU1O

If he's smart, he'll keep letting you believe that sig strength has the weight in a CW pile-up that you believe it does and he'll keep the method to himself.

John AE5X
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2012, 11:54:11 AM »

No secret here: on 80 I noticed on the panadapter that he was moving down a bit after each qso. Started calling below the last qso and got them.

Tor
N4OGW
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2012, 12:03:35 PM »

Chris, Ryan has two huge advantages over me. One, a MonstIR antenna that has far more gain on the WARC bands than my Force-12 2/2/1 has (by a considerable amount), and two, a combination of 600' more height ASL and a clear takeoff path to the southeast. I have a much better path to Asia than Ryan, on the other hand, and he also has half the power coming out of the wall (811H vs AL-1200). But there's a LOT to be said for height on his side as well as very little man-made noise--whereas I live beside an industrial park.

Peter, that is not a method.  It's strictly his antenna system and his location.  Maybe he thinks that is a system.

Chris/NU1O
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2012, 12:33:53 PM »

Care to share your method?  W2IRT has a much stronger signal than you and he isn't breaking pileups as quickly as you.

Chris/NU1O
If he's smart, he'll keep letting you believe that sig strength has the weight in a CW pile-up that you believe it does and he'll keep the method to himself.

John AE5X

John,

I've only had a legal limit amplifier for a little over 1 year and the Bencher Skyhawk for just one month.  I did not get to 315 countries with brute force, far from it. I learned how to break CW pileups using techniques I learned in W9KNI's book which I read when I was first licensed in 1988, or using techniques I learned on my own. I have known for a long time that ERP is important but operating skill is more important in huge CW pileups like we are experiencing with PT0S.

When I wrote a post that claimed most US hams (I specifically excluded contest stations and hams in lightly populated states where there is huge demand for a QSL) could still charge $1 for an overseas QSL instead of $2, and absorb the 5 cent differential, N2RJ went absolutely ballistic and said my suggestion was tantamount to taking food out of the mouths of his kids and gasoline out of his car!  Then, in his last post for that topic he said it was a moot point anyway because he doesn't get many direct requests for overseas QSLs.  He's in New Jersey. He gets fewer direct QSL requests than I do and I'm lucky if I get one direct overseas QSL every 2 weeks. He made a big commotion over absolutely NOTHING. Since then I've learned to ignore most of what he writes.

I'd love to make a good sized wager with you that he does not have any method and the QSOs were mostly the result of luck - just as mine were - but we aren't about to find out.

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 01:10:56 PM by NU1O » Logged
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2012, 12:35:19 PM »

I just added 15 CW and the QSO only took a few calls like the SSB QSO.  For the SSB QSO I know there was a lot of luck involved.  I just happened to see the cluster spot and call where he was listening.  That's dumb luck. For the CW contact I tail-ended a US station he had just worked.

Both of my contacts are on 15 meters where he is very strong at 20 dB over S9.  I'm working him on a band where I have close to 6 dB gain and I'm running 1500 Watts. If I were stuck working him on the WARC bands or 40 and 80 I'd hate to even think of how long I'd be in a pileup.

I'll try to work them on 10 and 20 but I'm not going to spend more than an hour on 40 meters trying to work him with my Inverted Vee.  Forget 80 and we will not even mention 160.

Right now there is no jammer or frequency cops. Just a very strong PT0S.  He's on 21025.55.  I was transmitting up 5.

Chris/NU1O

Best signal yet on 15 cw this afternoon, but NO luck yet. I am not even close to figuring out his method of moving........   SO....... then what happens at 2000z?  QSY to 160.  Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

This is not looking too good. HUGE pileups and HUGE splits with no pattern makes it very tough. Tomorrow may be a little better for NA. Probably a bunch of hams still off work today for a long veterans day weekend.

10 days..... I hope I can get lucky, cause skill and 1Kw with the 1/4 vertical is not getting it done ......... so far Shocked

73, Gene AF3Y
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2012, 12:38:33 PM »

You are lucky.  The difference is I will admit it and you will not.

Chris/NU1O

Wow, if that wasn't jealousy I don't know what it is. Smiley

I am consistently lucky then I guess.

I'll share the method in time, but it's common sense when you think about it.

As I said, luck has nothing to do with it. I really don't have a lot of time to DX but when I do I have to make the most of it.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2012, 12:39:38 PM »

Chris/NU1O

John AE5X

John,

I've only had a legal limit amplifier for a little over 1 year and the Bencher Skyhawk for just one month.  I did not get to 315 countries with brute force, far from it. I learned how to break CW pileups using techniques I learned in W9KNI's book which I read when I was first licensed in 1988, or using techniques I learned on my own. I have known for a long time that ERP is important but operating skill is more important in huge CW pileups like we are experiencing with PT0S.

When I wrote a post that claimed most US hams (I specifically excluded contest stations and hams in lightly populated states where there is huge demand for a QSL) could still charge $1 for an overseas QSL instead of $2, and absorb the 5 cent differential, N2RJ went absolutely ballistic and said my suggestion was tantamount to taking food out of the mouths of his kids and gasoline out of his car!  Then, in his last post for that topic he said it was a moot point anyway because he doesn't get many direct requests for overseas QSLs.  He's in New Jersey. He gets fewer than I do and I'm lucky if I get one direct overseas QSL every 2 weeks. He made a big commotion over absolutely NOTHING. Since then I've learned to ignore most of what he writes.

I'd love to make a good sized wager with you that he does not have any method and the QSOs were mostly the result of luck - just as mine were - but we aren't about to find out.

Chris/NU1O

So in other words you have a chip on your shoulder about me. Sad.
K5JZ

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2012, 12:41:39 PM »

They do not have their receive antenna up due to rough seas and they are saying that the noise on 160 was S9 plus 10DB. ALL of us that made it in the log on 160 last night had to rise above that noise floor. It will get better.

That would explain the difficulty in picking out callsigns.  He actually got up to S4~5 here on my HyTower cum inverted L, but later in the evening the static crashes were still in excess of S9 which made it difficult to tell who he was responding to.  Hopefully this storm will have tracked further to the east by tonight so the band will be quieter.  Beautiful, clear starry night last night, but still lots of residual noise.  Hopefully they will have have the 160m RX antenna in place and that will speed things up a bit.  Agree that the pileup was large on 160M.  I missed the 80M activity, where I also need SP&P.

GL on 80 tonight! They are on 160, 17, and 6 (2235z) as I write this.
George K5JZ

With only TWO stations ACTIVE?  Pretty NEAT! Shocked

73, Gene AF3Y

I have run a DX Cluster since 1991... I see all of the spots and if you go online and check... you will see that what I posted was correct. I have no idea if any of these operations were a pirate but the PY's were working their friend on 6 and the world was working them on 160 and 17... beam heading correct... those on low band chat seem to know the op on 160. Perhaps they are running a dedicated 6 meter beacon station that can be used when the band opens? You tell me.

George K5JZ

George, as it stands right now, I dont think I could work em if they had FIVE stations QRV. BUT..........

From their website:  www.pt0s.com  :   

Transceivers and Amplifiers:
We will have two stations. Both stations will use K3 transceivers. The main station will have two combined SG-500 amplifiers for an output of 1000 W, while the other station will have a single SG-500 amplifier for an output of 500 watts.

73, Gene AF3Y

Hi Gene,

If my suggestion is not correct... then some number of DXers worked a pirate on one of those three bands that were spotted. I hope not!

I am pulling for you and everyone else needing them!!!
George K5JZ
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2012, 12:43:04 PM »

Good work Chris.

I just got him on 15m cw.  It took about a million calls at 1500 watts.

I need to take a break.

Jonathan W6GX

Isn't that like 1.5 Giga-Watts, albeit for a short time?  You better not let your wife see this month's electric bill.   Cheesy

Glad you bagged him, Jonathan.

Chris/NU1O
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: