Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Raising/lowering a Glen Martin Hazer via Electric Drill  (Read 1620 times)
W9BKR

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2012, 03:31:54 AM »

I saw somewhere and cannot find the reference that supposedly, you could raise/lower your hazer on the Glen Martin towers via 1/2 inch electric Drill.  Has anyone done this or know of someone doing this?  I have a hand winch on mine, but would like to try an alternative method.  Don't think the Hazer requires a huge motor to do this as it
raises/lowers relatively easily....

Appreciate any info.
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 03:44:32 AM »

I do it all the time, in fact just last weekend.  Best is a variable speed reversible drill, 1/2" chuck and 1/2 HP or more (6.5 to 10A rating).  Remove the hand crank from the Hazer and replace it with a double nut (standard 3/8" nuts).  Then a garden variety 3/4" socket will do the job.  If it's a GM tower (not the Rohn kit), forward on the drill (clockwise) is down and reverse is up.  When starting back up, start slow so you don't back off the double nuts.  Works like a champ.  I bring mine down from 60' once or twice a year for a look-see.  It takes 3 - 4 minutes each way, including removing and replacing two sets of guys.  BTW - Harbor Freight has the drill for $50 and a new one is on my Christmas list.

Shoot me an email if you have any questions - k2dc (at) arrl dot net.

Don, K2DC
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 03:48:54 AM by K2DC » Logged
WV4L

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:21:57 AM »

Replace the hand crank nut with a coupling nut. Then wire tie a wrench to the nut and hand crank. This will prevent the nut from backing off.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2304696250028987393jALNyY

Wayne C.
WV4L
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 11:01:35 AM »

Hey, appreciate that info...not sure what a double nut is...you might explain that...not that mechanical on this end..Hi.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 05:27:51 PM »

If you made it a pair of Nylock nuts or used a bit of Threadlok on it that would help stop the nuts from backing off.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 06:07:21 PM »

If you made it a pair of Nylock nuts or used a bit of Threadlok on it that would help stop the nuts from backing off.

Im not sure nylock or thread lock is up to the task of stopping a 1/2 hp drill....
W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 07:13:02 PM »

I don't have a Glen Martin Hazer but I raise and lower my EZ-Way tower with a 1/2" AC electric drill. I had a machinist friend make an adapter that fits the 1/2" chuck and fits over the crank shaft on my Dutton-Lainson worm gear 40:1 ratio winches. The electric drill never gets warm.

Russ
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 05:46:48 AM »

A double nut is exactly what it souns like - two 3/8" nuts back-to-back.  Thread on one nut and then the other until they are together.  Then take two wrenches, one on each nut, and tighten them together by rotating the wrenches in opposite directions until they are as tight together as you can get them.  Then put your drill-driven 3/4" socket on the outer nut and go to it.

BTW - the threadlock is not a bad idea as long as it isn't permanent (like non-reusable Locktite).  However, I prefer removing and storing the nuts between uses because I only raise/lower once or twice a year and I don't want them to rust in place.

Don, K2DC

K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 01:26:04 PM »

Double nut=: Put one nut on the crank shaft which held the handle leaving some threads exposed to put another nut on. Then hold the first nut with a wrench and tighten the second nut against it with a second wrench.
Then when you put a socket in a drill, the outboard nut will not turn on the threads, but will turn the shaft to crank the hazer up. I have a hazer but always use the hand crank as it takes about two minutes to crank it down and 5 minutes to go up as I have to shift
arms because the first one gets tired.

Frank
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:42:18 PM by K4RVN » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: