Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JT65-HF Log QSO no correct  (Read 3213 times)
W6TGE

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »

I see I can not correct my subject, but it is "...QSO NOT correct". When will they invent a keyboard that can type?  :-)

OK, my issue...

I would not have noticed this except that I had an error uploading my log generated by JT65 to eQSL. I forgot to show the BAND in 1 entry and tried to edit it.

I also looked at the CSV. When I had the QSO I got a -12 and sent a -14. However, when I looked in the ADI it said I sent a -15. Even the CSV shows the -14. Any idea why this could happen?

Is there a program I can use to display/edit the ADI? I used UltraEdit but wanted something for Ham Radio.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:30:00 PM by W6TGE » Logged
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 06:04:29 AM »

With the JT65 program I use, it logs the last signal report corresponding to a transmission initiated by a double click on RED.  It keeps the signal report if you use the buttons.  

You can change it back to the right report before you save it.  In practice, I still use paper logs and do the LoTW transfer via DX Keeper. 

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:07:54 AM by W1VT » Logged
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 12:09:13 PM »

With the JT65 program I use, it logs the last signal report corresponding to a transmission initiated by a double click on RED.  It keeps the signal report if you use the buttons.  

You can change it back to the right report before you save it.  In practice, I still use paper logs and do the LoTW transfer via DX Keeper. 

Well, I worked 2 JT65 stations yesterday and it was OK so I have no idea what happened. One station was KL8DX and I wanted his QSL and submitted several different logs to LoTW but I guess they are way behind! I am looking for a JA as well. I have him on eQSL but I guess they only count if they are on LoTW.

P.S. When I was a kid..K1NBW...I lived in Hartford and "lived" at the ARRL/W1AW. I knew all of the people there and often talked to them from their QTH. I remember 1 night me and W1HDQ were on 10M and a station broke in and said we were the only 2 he heard on the band. It was ZS4LB!
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 04:08:27 PM »

The different values for signal report are caused by operator error...namely, double-clicking on the call window instead of using the two rows of buttons. Each time you click on the QSO window, it changes the log to match the measured signal report from THAT transmission...not necessarily the one you started with.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 06:04:46 PM »

The different values for signal report are caused by operator error...namely, double-clicking on the call window instead of using the two rows of buttons. Each time you click on the QSO window, it changes the log to match the measured signal report from THAT transmission...not necessarily the one you started with.

Dave
K3DCW

Good point, but I was not sure I did that. I guess I am not sure when the halt TX should be used either.

I can call CQ and if I get an answer I do double click. If I answer a CQ I also double click. However, I do not believe I double click after that...I just use the buttons...however, I may hit halt TX...I will have to play some more.

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 09:43:37 AM »

I see I can not correct my subject, but it is "...QSO NOT correct". When will they invent a keyboard that can type?  :-)

OK, my issue...

I would not have noticed this except that I had an error uploading my log generated by JT65 to eQSL. I forgot to show the BAND in 1 entry and tried to edit it.

I also looked at the CSV. When I had the QSO I got a -12 and sent a -14. However, when I looked in the ADI it said I sent a -15. Even the CSV shows the -14. Any idea why this could happen?

Is there a program I can use to display/edit the ADI? I used UltraEdit but wanted something for Ham Radio.

Unless you require 100% exact confirmation on all data elements to create a QSL, I would say that a delta of -1 db isn't going to make a difference in your log results. Why your logging is different is, like was posted, probably due to the way you select stations by double clicking. I have noticed JT65-HF behave slightly different by clicking in different places vs typing in data. Personally I don't worry about the signal reports that much on JT65. I figure if the computer decoded them then it must have heard them. I have worked stations I personally did not know were there (no trace or sound to my ear) yet the computer decoded them and we had a QSO. Really weird having a QSO with 'nothing' seen or heard. Kind of like QSOing with Elvis or something like that.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 02:09:53 PM »

I see I can not correct my subject, but it is "...QSO NOT correct". When will they invent a keyboard that can type?  :-)

OK, my issue...

Unless you require 100% exact confirmation on all data elements to create a QSL, I would say that a delta of -1 db isn't going to make a difference in your log results. Why your logging is different is, like was posted, probably due to the way you select stations by double clicking. I have noticed JT65-HF behave slightly different by clicking in different places vs typing in data. Personally I don't worry about the signal reports that much on JT65. I figure if the computer decoded them then it must have heard them. I have worked stations I personally did not know were there (no trace or sound to my ear) yet the computer decoded them and we had a QSO. Really weird having a QSO with 'nothing' seen or heard. Kind of like QSOing with Elvis or something like that.

Gene W5DQ

I agree, Gene, but was wondering why it happened. I, too, have had contacts (can I call JT65 a QSO?) I could not hear. I am using, for now, an "air interface" using 2 mic's and a "dipole" in an "L" configuration hanging in my room with about 20 watts. I can not wait to get my R5 back up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: