Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homebrew speaker  (Read 6554 times)
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 02:18:36 AM »

I just realized that my Elmer forgot to give me a speaker for my Kenwood. He included a speaker for the Heathkit SB-102, but it has an RCA jack (as opposed to the Kenwood's 1/8") and it's attached to a bulky HP-23A power supply. I'm thinking of simply buying a 8 ohm speaker and a 1/8" jack, hooking the two with speaker wire (of which I've got plenty), and plugging it in. An external speaker is basically a speaker in a box, so this would be a speaker sans box. I'm not the type of guy to care about looks. My question is, will it work? Did anybody do this when they were a young, broke newbie like me?

Of course it will work, but it may not sound as good as the speaker that's already in the TS-130S.

Why would you want an external speaker? Wink

Cause the internal speaker is fried. My Elmer confirmed this. He'd tested the 130 once, ages ago (he was a high school science teacher, and this was donated to the student ham radio program at the school), then forgot that the speaker was bad. When I got no sound, I asked him to test the radio, and he realized that the internal speaker was bad. Plug in headphones, ok. Grab an old Motorola speaker and plug it in, ok. But no sound out of the internal. "Well, oh yeah, now I remember..." He gave me an old generic CB speaker, but THAT one turned out to be cooked too! Not my day. I finally bought a cheap MFJ speaker off QTH swap.

If you want to "hear stuff better," cheap headphones are usually better for hamming than any kind of speaker.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 06:48:44 AM »

Why not just replace the defective speaker inside the rig? 

You might even find one that fits down at the local Radio Shack.

But you won't know until you open the rig, remove the speaker and measure it to see what can be used as a replacement...

KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 11:02:55 AM »

Why not just replace the defective speaker inside the rig? 

You might even find one that fits down at the local Radio Shack.

But you won't know until you open the rig, remove the speaker and measure it to see what can be used as a replacement...

Cause I'm lazy. Easier to plug in an external speaker than to go through the trouble of replacing the inside speaker.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 08:00:22 AM »

Gotta respect an individual who knows himself that well, my friend!    Grin

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 08:18:29 AM »

The way that radio is 'packed', I don't think I would want to open it up just to replace the speaker either.  I have opened the TS130 I have up to try to troubleshoot it.  After taking the covers off, I took one look--and put them back on.  If you don't know exactly what you're doing, it's too easy to make one mistake that will make the radio unusable.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: