Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Telescope mount for Az/El rotator  (Read 4026 times)
K0JEG

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2012, 06:41:30 PM »

Spent a few hours this weekend testing a rotator based on a computerized telescope mount. Initial results look promising. Too bad we had snow all weekend or I would have been testing outside. I'm sure being under a snow covered roof attenuated RF a little.

http://youtu.be/Avp1ROEkgeA

Please don't pick on the talent!  Smiley
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 10:02:35 PM »

What's the maximum weight that can support and swing?

73, Jim
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 11:48:33 AM »

What's the maximum weight that can support and swing?

73, Jim

The specs say 9 lbs. I set it up clamped from the back of the mast with a 2.5 lb counterweight and it didn't have any trouble, but I didn't see any advantage to that setup either.

however, this particular mount is no longer manufactured. There are other mounts that use the same communications protocol, from small to larger to add-on kits.

http://www.telescope.com/Mounts-Tripods/GoTo-Mounts-Tripods/pc/2/36.uts
http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/mounts.html?technologies=126#filter_menu
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 12:00:16 PM »

I go to the Southern California Linux Exposition every year, and there's always a couple of booths set up with telescope stuff.
Unfortunately, they don't sell hardware, even though some of the mounts they've homebrewed could easily be "productized".

Are these weatherproof at all?
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 05:04:53 AM »

I go to the Southern California Linux Exposition every year, and there's always a couple of booths set up with telescope stuff.

There's a great open source program called Stellarium that basically simulates a planetarium on your PC. Also has builds for Windows and Android that I know of. It is able to point telescopes as well, although not to track, just to aim and let the internal sidereal motor control take over.

Are these weatherproof at all?

Not at all. I doubt you'll find one that is, since stargazing isn't much fun when it's cloudy, let alone raining! But I want it for portable use, like during field day (and because it's an interesting hack). I was thinking that a tent might be able to act like a radome if the weather gets bad.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 05:09:25 AM by K0JEG » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: