Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: emi source?  (Read 1710 times)
TTOMAS59

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2012, 01:12:51 PM »

At my qth I just began getting 60hz interference fro 80 meters all the way up to 10 meters. I opened up Fldigi and it's white lines 60 hz apart through our the rf spectrum. Can sone identify what electrical device may be causing this? A new neighbor just moved in next door. Thanks,

Tim
WB4BYQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 01:45:41 AM »

Tom, only experience can help with this.  i suffered from many rfi sources when i lived in
a close neighborhood.  i did not know what the device was until i put my hands on it.
you will have to try to zero in on the source location with a fox hunt in mind.  it could be
a led light bub, battery charger for any kind, but as in my old location it was almost always
some type of switching power supply.   laptop computer, desktop computer, battery charger, vcr/dvd player, charger for model cars, now we have led lights that can cause rfi from the switching power supply in them, could be a bad cfl, etc.  be nice to the neighbor and try to work with them, that was the biggest job that i had.

richard
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:54:25 AM »

Assuming the noise is coming from the neighbor's house the 60 Hz noise points to a plasma television. The frequency is actually close to 59.94 Hz for HDTV, the same as NTSC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: