Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power On-Off at Rig or at Power Supply?  (Read 3472 times)
VA3KBC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 04:13:34 PM »

My TS590 manual says that I can turn off the transceiver by turning off the power supply.
I can skip turning the radio off by it's own power switch.

I have the TS590, DX Enginerring antenna switcher, FT1900 two meter radio, Daiwa CN-801 SWR & Power meter light all powered by the Astron RS-35M power supply.
I just tunr off one switch.
DJ
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 06:45:08 PM »

My K3 is supposed to be turned on after power supply is on, and turned off before power supply is off.

Per Elecraft: To ensure correct save of operating parameters, turn the K3 off before turning the power supply off.
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 05:59:37 AM »

I keep my power supply off when not in use.

This keeps my power consumption down as the supply uses power even when nothing is being used.

(This also applies to wallwarts)

I turn the supply on and wait a couple of minutes for it to stabilize then turn the rig on.

I turn the rig off first then the power supply.

Go Green!
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 06:57:39 AM »

OK.... Grin  I'm a believer.  Almost all say use the switch on the rig instead of the PS. 

I will do it that way from now on. Thanks for all the comments guys! 

73, Gene AF3Y
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 06:30:50 AM »

Well, in some cases it depends on the radio.

Older type radios were probably more tolerant of this practice.  But, modern computer controlled radios don't like to have the power cord pulled.  Radios like Elecrafts' K3 or KX3 and many others are more like computers than radios, and when shutdown properly, store many operating parameters to nonvolatile memory at the time of shutdown, so that when powered on again, it is in the same configuration as it was when last used.  Many parameters values are kept so that as you change bands, the filter settings, mode, NR/NB and many others setttings are saved so that when you change back to that band, the radio is just like you left it.  Same for turning the radio off and then back on.  If you just pull the plug, none of this is saved, and it looks like it did the last time it was saved.  This is true for many internal parameters as well, so it's not a good idea to just pull the plug on a radio like this.

Your dad's old TS-520S may not care, and some would say you're saving wear and tear on the switch.

...bill  nr4c
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 04:48:18 PM »

It is NOT a good idea to use the power supply on/off and not turn the rig off on the front panel for many of the ultra new rigs.

Any radio like the yaesu's (FT-2000, 950, 5000 and 9000) have very orderly power sequencing built into
the radio to make sure that the internal firmware and software come up in the correct sequence.  They don't necessarily have internal software code that looks at everything and preserves integrity if you do not use the radio's power button to sequence events.... Don't be surprised if something gets trashed if you don't follow
the correct sequence.   

Don't own and ICOM or Kenwood so I don't know how they would react to this.

W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 08:58:08 AM »

I think this is similiar to why you don`t start a generator with a load on it.

Precisely.  I always turn off the radio before I turn off the power supply...and turn on the power supply before I turn the radio on.  I use switching power supplies, so I don't leave them on 24/7.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 11:24:19 AM »

lug everything into a 5 or 6 hole zip strip.  then turn on everything with it.  after replacing the on off and stand by switch ( now made of unobtainum) on a ft 101, you learn its easy and cheap to replace the zip strip when the switch fails as opposed to changing the switch on the radios.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 03:34:04 PM »

I have been in Ham radio and electronics for more then 50 years. It has always been good practice to turn the power supply on first then the piece of electronic equipment, and reverse the order for shut off. This also holds  for plugging in wall warts for charging HTs, Cell phones and rechargeable electronic equipment. Plug the charger in first then the the equipment and reverse the order for removal. Modern equipment has many types of protective circuitry, but why take a chance. The reason for this order power switching is to avoid back EMF which can produce a voltage spike many times the amount of the set voltage. I will always use the power supply on equipment on, and equipment off power supply off mode of operation.

73s

K2OWK   
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: