The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuning a MFJ1788 Q antenna  (Read 532 times)
W1EAP

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2016, 05:45:03 AM »

I need help with understanding the tuning instructions from the manual.
I realize there are feelings and opinions concerning MFJ, but I need help from someone who actually uses a 1788.
The manual doesn't mention when to apply signal(CW) in the tuning section

Ed W1EAP
W6EIJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 08:12:52 AM »

Tuning the 1786 or 88 loop:

1.  Using the fast-tune buttons [right-side of controller], push the Up button to run the capacitor all the way up to the top (15 meter range).  Tuning down seems to work going down, better for me.
2.  Use key-down cw or tune mode on your transmitter at about 5 watts.  Note: Do not let up on the key-down until tuning of the loop is completed.  The loop needs a constant rf signal.
3.  Push and release the Down fast-tune-button until you hear a high pitched tone.
4.  Push the Down fast-tune button again to release it.
5.  A slow-tune button will light.
6.  Push and hold the slow-tune button that was lite until the SWR is at 1:1 (or close as possible).
7.  Release the button, increase power if needed and you are ready to go.

I have had a 1788 for over 8 years, and it works great relative to its small size.  There is an MFJ loop group on Yahoo that you might want to look into.  If you don't get a 1:1 swr, you can change the shape of the smaller wire loop inside the plastic cover to get to 1:1.  I have found that the loop is more immune to physical objects and metal in the vertical position.  Finally, you can change the speed of the motor by adjusting pots in the controller.  The instructions are available on the internet and on the Yahoo Group's file section.  Tom W2CRN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: