Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ 10 meter Moxon rectangle  (Read 6790 times)
AF5C

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2012, 10:48:09 AM »

I see that MFJ has come out with a 10 meter Moxon Rectangle antenna.  I like the price on it-$75 at R and L Electronics.  I like the size and weight, would fit nicely in my setup.  However, MFJ's ad says the gain is 3.3DBi.  That put it at .5 db gain over a dipole or something like that.  Is that really worth it for the price.  Yes, it has some F/B to it, but would it be worth the money over the G5RV I am currently using on 10m?

John AF5CC
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 11:02:18 AM »

They can't even spell Moxon- what  makes you think they have the gain correct?

Dale W4OP
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 11:06:28 AM »

Do a search on google and build your own.  remember those old folding patio chairs with the plastic webbing.  Cut the 90 degree corners out of them and use  the appropriate sized aluminum tubes to build your own, a self tapping sheet metal screw at the joints will hold it all together. almost free if you get the lawn chairs at  goodwill or  garage sales.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »

I see that MFJ has come out with a 10 meter Moxon Rectangle antenna.  I like the price on it-$75 at R and L Electronics.  I like the size and weight, would fit nicely in my setup.  However, MFJ's ad says the gain is 3.3DBi.  That put it at .5 db gain over a dipole or something like that.  Is that really worth it for the price.  Yes, it has some F/B to it, but would it be worth the money over the G5RV I am currently using on 10m?

John AF5CC

The gain is significantly higher than that. Modelling the one I have at 22ft in EZNEC shows a max gain of 11dBi. "Some" F/B should be at least 16dB. It will slaughter the G5RV.
N8WWM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 07:51:15 PM »

Get a copy of the MoxGen software and make your own! Lotsa fun and not hard at all. That is what I have built for 6 and 10.

A lot of your signal is eaten up in the tuner with a G5RV. You should notice a change for the better right away.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 10:23:30 PM »

The Moxon is a 2-element yagi with a typical free-space gain of about 6dBi,
or close to 4dB over a dipole.  You can get more that from some other 2-element
designs, but they tend to be plagued with poor F/B and/or low feedpoint
impedance.

If they were claiming 3.3dB over a dipole, that probably is pretty accurate.

The G5RV will have multiple lobes on 10m:  the Moxon will be perhap slightly
better in those directions, and much better at filling in the nulls between them.
(If your G5RV is sloping then the Moxon will make even more of an improvement.)

Quote from: N8WWM

A lot of your signal is eaten up in the tuner with a G5RV.

More likely loss in the coax rather than the tuner.  This can be 6dB or more on 10m,
as VK1OD shows here:  http://www.vk1od.net/antenna/G5RV/index.htm
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 07:23:56 AM »

John AF5CC

The gain is significantly higher than that. Modelling the one I have at 22ft in EZNEC shows a max gain of 11dBi. "Some" F/B should be at least 16dB. It will slaughter the G5RV.
    Totally agree.  My 10 Meter Moxon significantly outperforms my G5RV.
KD0TLI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 01:03:14 PM »

Do a search on google and build your own.  remember those old folding patio chairs with the plastic webbing.  Cut the 90 degree corners out of them and use  the appropriate sized aluminum tubes to build your own, a self tapping sheet metal screw at the joints will hold it all together. almost free if you get the lawn chairs at  goodwill or  garage sales.

Cool idea Tom !     I may have to give that a try.
SM5JAB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »

The Moxon acts like any old two-element beam. Its main virtue is its size and phenomenal F/B-ration. It is not magic, but does a good job. Don't get lured by the large F/B figures, often they are not as interesting as the forward gain (CONDX take care of the F/B). I have a home made one for 18 MHz, very decent.
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 08:36:16 AM »

They work great here in Florida! We have spanish speaking stations from south america, and need a high F/B Ratio.
N9ZQZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 05:47:46 PM »

Some advice. If you order one like I did do a complete comparison against the parts list. I ended up missing 4 aluminum tubes and been waiting almost 2 weeks to get them from MFJ. The dealer I bought it from has been trying to get them to ship me the parts. If they don't soon I am gonna package it back up and send er back for a refund. From my examination of the parts they are good quality aluminum and well made. If you follow the directions this antenna should last for years. I will post again when I get it assembled, tuned and on the tower.

N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 06:10:27 PM »

Get a copy of the MoxGen software and make your own!

Great little program, even outputs EZNEC file for you to use  Smiley
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 06:28:02 PM »

To pile on, any Moxon will out perform a G5RV as it was never designed for that band, and if you can actually match it correctly, all or any of the resultant lobes will be less productive than the Moxon assuming you can rotate the moxon.
All moxons have slightly less gain then a full size 2 element beam, by design, the front to back and matching was optimized by the turned in ends.
Bob
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 02:52:19 AM »

John AF5CC

Gain of a Moxon is a lot more than that. Modelling mine at 30ft in EZNEC I got 10dBi over real ground and it is slightly better than the Hexbeam that replaced it. I think they meant 3dBd. The "some" F/B should be 20-30+dBi.

I used one for a single band entry in the 2012 CQ-WW-DX SSB contest and even with 100W the performance was amazing even busting a pileup from Europe to a Chinese station whilst I was working longpath and that was with it at just 22ft high. The F/B of it was priceless and without it I'd not have been able to work N/S America due to the wall of European stations on my doorstep. In 16hrs operating I worked 91 DXCC in 31 Zones on all 6 continents setting a new country record.

The one thing to remember about your G5RV is that it has lots of sharp lobes and nulls. In some directions you'll get several dBi of gain but in others you'll have 20-30dBi of losses and if those nulls are in the direction of a station you want to work there's little you can do about it.
N9ZQZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 07:55:25 AM »

I have one of these antennas. It works very well. Turns with an ordinary TV antenna rotor and I have worked the UK on many occasions. I was using a vertical (A-99 with an antenna tuner) and this is light years better. For people on a budget like I am this is a nice antenna to get you out on 10 meters and it is easy to assemble. Yes you can make your own but for the cost of materials it was so close I chose to buy one. Glad I did. If you follow the instructions it will get you pretty close. All I had to do was lengthen it about a quarter inch and my SWR was 1.2 across the tech section of 10 meters. On the antenna tester at 29 mhz it was still under 1.5. You can't beat that. You can see mine up on my QRZ page. Right now it is at 30 feet. Planning on raising it to at least 40 or 50 feet in the spring. Ran out of time before winter was coming.

Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: