Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home Printed QSL cards?  (Read 6235 times)
K5UNX

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2012, 01:32:37 PM »

Hi All, I am going to get a HF rig sometime in the next few months. I am trying to learn about some of the details before I get it. Do people print their own QSL cards? I have a ton of 4x6 photo paper that might make for a nice card.

Any folks do that? Or are they too "cheap" looking?

Wayne

W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 02:56:30 PM »

Not an issue, Wayne.  People do that all the time.  Some are better than others, but if the have all the right information, it shouldn't matter to the recipient.  Most household printers today can do a decent job printing QSL cards.  One of my favorite cards was from a 10 year old ham in Rhode Island back in the late 1960's.  She had just gotten her license and I was something like her third contact.  She had no QSL cards, so she made the card for me from scratch using a plain post card and some colored markers.  Great effort!

The cards I sent as ZF2FM during my trips to the Cayman Islands were photos I took printed on photo paper stock. 

Terry, WØFM, ZF2FM
KE4VVF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 04:02:26 PM »

One of my favorite cards was from a 10 year old ham in Rhode Island back in the late 1960's.  She had just gotten her license and I was something like her third contact.  She had no QSL cards, so she made the card for me from scratch using a plain post card and some colored markers.  Great effort!

I would cherish that card until the day I died.
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »

Designing QSL cards is fairly easy. I use Microsoft Publisher, which has built in post card templates. Insert a background pic, add the appropriate fields for qso exchange info, and all personal information including station setup. Publisher allows two sided designing also, so the reverse can be used for a quick note and address info. Slap on a stamp and send it off, or stuff it into an envelope so it will arrive clean. I use standard card stock paper which works in most printers ( I use a Brother MFP Inkjet). I save a few different cards all having the same design, but each contains its own callsign (HAM, 11m and one for PopComm monitring.)

Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:35:08 PM by MAGNUM257 » Logged
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 08:30:56 PM »

Hamstuff.com (W7NN) has very good and inexpensive card stock for printing QSL cards.

http://www.hamstuff.com/QslKitPage/qslkit.html

I used to use his card stock. I quit printing my own. I use too many of them and it can get expensive in ink jet cartridges.
There are a couple of mine on his website but they were done in MS pub and didn't format well with his version at the time.
They looked a lot better in real life.
I went back to buying 1000 at a time from WWDXC our DX club for about $70. Just less hassle.
If you don't use very many then printing your own can be worthwhile.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 03:56:26 AM »

I don't have anything against store-bought cards, I use 'em myself 99% of the time these days.  But homebrew cards are GREAT.  They've got a lot more personality than standard designs!  I love getting a homebrew card.  There's lots of discussion on the web about this; for years I made mine in Powerpoint and printed on cardstock.  Do it and have fun designing and making them!  73 GL!
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 10:01:40 AM »

The only problem I have with printing my own cards is that color ink is extremely expensive.  On a per-card basis the purchased cards are cheaper.  But then you can't change the design until you run out.

My 2 cents.  Welcome to HF.  It's a blast.

73, JP, K8AG
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 08:54:34 PM »

The only problem I have with printing my own cards is that color ink is extremely expensive.  On a per-card basis the purchased cards are cheaper.  But then you can't change the design until you run out.

My 2 cents.  Welcome to HF.  It's a blast.

73, JP, K8AG

Agreed, however thanks to a tip from a friend I have been buying cartridges for my Brother on Ebay. All four colors (4 pk) p/n LC41 for under $5!! No kidding. And they work great!!  I've got enough spares to last me a LONG time. Check it out...

http://stores.ebay.com/qsery?_rdc=1

...and see if they have them for your printer.  

-Chuck
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 06:07:46 PM »

One of my favorite cards was from a 10 year old ham in Rhode Island back in the late 1960's.  She had just gotten her license and I was something like her third contact.  She had no QSL cards, so she made the card for me from scratch using a plain post card and some colored markers.  Great effort!

I would cherish that card until the day I died.

I got one like that a couple years ago from an adult. I sent him a QSL card and he sent back my card but on the reverse side he hand drew a card. He said that he hadn't had QSL cards for years. He didn't just put down the QSL info, he actually drew stuff on it. It wasn't well done, but he put some time into it. It was sort of touching, but at the same time I kinda regretted ever sending him a card in the first place which caused him to waste his time drawing a card by hand to send back. I didn't need his card for anything, I just like to exchange QSL cards. I send them out and usually don't really care a whole lot of I ever get one back.

To answer the original question, no, homebrew cards printed on a computer are fairly common. Not as common as they were when computers were kinda a new thing, but I get one every once in awhile. I have often thought about doing my own cards on a computer for one simple reason: you could easily do custom cards for specific occasions. For example, you might operate portable on a mountain top. You could take a picture of your actual operating location and then put that on a card for the contacts made that day, from that location and then (obviously) the recipient could see where you were when you worked him. You could do the same thing for mobile contacts, or whatever. And only print as many as you need for the number of contacts you worked under those conditions.
Which reminds me of another card I got that I thought was very cool. I sent a guy a card and he sent me back a very nice computer made card featuring a picture of his operating postion and lying on the desk in the picture was my card that I sent him.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 10:17:09 AM »

After considering the cost and hassle of home printing my own cards on card stock, I finally just custom ordered 1000 3.5" X 5.5" cards from Uprinting.com. It was $100 including shipping for 1000 2-sided, full color, photo quality cards on very nice matte paper. I used this photo for the front and it came out great - http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.qrz.com/i/n7smi/cardsmall.jpg
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 10:48:45 AM »

FWIW: I have been buying my QSL cards for several years from cheapQSLs.com.
They are VERY nice people to deal with. And, as I have ordered more and more cards, they have all my info on hand and just ask me if there are any changes; which makes the process super simple.

I certainly recommend buying QSL cards for the vast majority of your contacts, but I still think there is a place for computer generated cards for those special occasions when having a custom card would be nice.

Ken
AB8KT

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 11:27:55 AM »

If you're like me, and don't send out all that many paper cards, you might want to consider a free software program called QSL Design and Print.  It's a deceptively simple application that lets you create and print very nice looking cards.  I'm not that crazy about buying ink for my printer, so I have the program create jpgs, which I upload to the Walgreens photo site and print out for about $0.19 a card.

You can download the program at:

http://www.va3hj.ca/

Take a look at the sample cards page; you'll be impressed.
AC4WY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 06:35:00 AM »

What I do, like a lot of other hams today, I reckon, is use eQSL, the online system. When I receive an eQSL I print it with Adobe Photoshop on 4x6 photo paper. Looks pretty good, I think. I do keep a stack of non-virtual QSLs for occasional use, but not many of 'em go out anymore.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 10:40:04 AM »

Hi All, I am going to get a HF rig sometime in the next few months. I am trying to learn about some of the details before I get it. Do people print their own QSL cards? I have a ton of 4x6 photo paper that might make for a nice card.

Any folks do that? Or are they too "cheap" looking?

Wayne

Done all the time however my exeprience has shown that it is much more economical to create a master image and take it to a photofinisher (like Walmart, Costco, Ritz, Fox Photo, or whatever is available) and have a bulk printing made if you want to roll your own. When I tried it in the past, I used way too much inkjet ink to set it all up and get it the way I liked it. When I wanted to create more, it seemed like I was always futzing with the printer to get the colors the same each time. Not sure why it was like that for me but I have since given up and had commercial ones printed. They are much better quality than 4x6 photo paper type, are the correct size (3.5" x 5.5") and they cost around about the same at 7.5 cents each in qty of 1000 from UX5UO QSLs ($75 / qty 1000 / full color front / grayscale back / delivered = 7.5 cents each)

Good Luck,

Gene W5DQ
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 10:43:12 AM by W5DQ » Logged

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 09:46:14 AM »

Done all the time however my exeprience has shown that it is much more economical to create a master image and take it to a photofinisher (like Walmart, Costco, Ritz, Fox Photo, or whatever is available) and have a bulk printing made if you want to roll your own. When I tried it in the past, I used way too much inkjet ink to set it all up and get it the way I liked it. When I wanted to create more, it seemed like I was always futzing with the printer to get the colors the same each time. Not sure why it was like that for me but I have since given up and had commercial ones printed. They are much better quality than 4x6 photo paper type, are the correct size (3.5" x 5.5") and they cost around about the same at 7.5 cents each in qty of 1000 from UX5UO QSLs ($75 / qty 1000 / full color front / grayscale back / delivered = 7.5 cents each)

Good Luck,

Gene W5DQ

100% agree, I used to do my own cards, and I found that they were running about 50% more in cost than if I took them to Costco, and had them print 500 cards...  Use GIMP to build your QSL, make it big, but keep the aspect ratio correct, then have one or two made, if you like them, make a bunch.

73's
Dave

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: