Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headset Questions  (Read 1107 times)
KC2IFH

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:01:18 PM »

Hello all,

I have just come into a slightly used Heil Proset Elite 6 headset and foot switch.

I have in correctly connected to my TS-480 SAT.  I have menu 19 set to HB1 or HB2 and the width to 2.4 in menu 20.

What I need to know is how to position the mic from the headset.  I can't seem to get any readings on the ALC meter into a dummy load unless I have the mic up against my lips.

I have the mic gain set to about 45 and it seems if I go any higher on that I can run into problems.

How close to my mouth should I position the mic?

Sorry for this stupid question but I have never used a headset and not sure the correct way to set it up.

Thank you,

Alex
KC2IFH
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 04:11:35 AM »

Does that have an external mic gain pot? May be set too low. You should not have to have it up against your lips.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 06:41:24 AM »

One thing to consider before you adjust the mic-gain is the ambient noise level. If you're operating in a noisy area, having the mike far from your mouth will pick up more ambient noise than if you have the mike close to your mouth with the gain turned down. The down-side, of course is that having the mike right up against your lips is uncomfortable. If you're in a quiet environment, then having the mike at a more comfortable distance with the gain turned up to accommodate isn't a problem.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 08:03:08 AM »

I have the mic gain set to about 45 and it seems if I go any higher on that I can run into problems.

What "problems?"
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 10:22:59 AM »

.......    I can't seem to get any readings on the ALC meter into a dummy load unless I have the mic up against my lips.
When are fully modulating the transmitter, you should only see an indication on the ALC at voice peaks.  IT is not a VU meter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: