Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Routing Coax Feed to Quad  (Read 906 times)
WB4ROA

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2012, 05:44:50 AM »

Hi folks.  I have a 5-band 2-EL quad which has worked well for several years.  After some storm (hurricane) damage I had to replace a few spreaders.  No problem as tower has a hazer.  Since then the coax has wrapped around the tower on two occasions.  Would appreciate thoughts on the best way to run the coax to prevent it getting caught as the antenna rotates.  Rotor is Yaesu with overlap so I have to allow for 270 degrees of rotation each way.  I am beginning to believe it is haunted.  Looks fine on the ground and not fine in the air.  We do get high winds and on one occasion the wind looped the slack coax over the tower top.  Arggg...

WB4ROA
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 07:02:44 AM »

When I used mine I fed it at the bottom of the diamond shaped quad. I used a small teflon terminal block that I fabricated just adjacent to the end of the spreader.

The boom was roughly as I recollect 6'6" so about three feet from center of support and simply allowed for a drip loop.I made a matching transformer from rg11 and a uhf barrel splice after attaching securely with robust tie wraps nothing to wrap around .

I thought it is flexible but is simply a moving part and will eventually need maintenance.
Never opened up as a function of rotation.

I held to maintenance schedule once a year serviced the feed point and re wrapped the splice after inspection and cleaning the connectors etc.

This was a mono band 10m home made quad installed in Miami,Fl. and used it for 5 years FB. 73 Rebuke the demon it aint haunted
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 07:15:06 AM »

Nice station.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 08:23:22 AM »

Put the extra coax in a couple of loops around the tower.  That way when
it rotates you wind or unwind coax into the loop (or make it somewhat
larger or smaller) but there isn't a hanging loop to catch on anything.
WB4ROA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 09:36:20 AM »

Thanks for the responses folks.  I think the loops around the mast might keep the coax under control.  Problem is it is an aluminum tower with a hazer, so there is no access to the quad when it is up and rotating.  Once it is down on the hazer there is no way to rotate and check for binds.  Again, thanks much!

WB4ROA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: