Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Circular polarized antenna choices?  (Read 20586 times)
AF8F

Ignore
« on: November 14, 2012, 06:16:20 PM »

For satellite work my M2 eggbeater antennas are just not doing the job.   Angry

On to yagis and a rotator.  Rather than plain yagis I'm inclined to go with circular polarized antennas to combat minor polarization differences, even though there are no satellites with circular antennas.

My question is, how much gain do I need?

M2 (m2inc.com) makes some good circular polarized yagis, but they are at least ten feet long.  These would be a very tight fit in the space I have available.  I'd much rather use something about six feet long.

Gulf Alpha (www.gulfalphaantennas.com) makes some shorter ones, but they would have only about 4 db of gain.  Is this enough?  I'd hate to strike out twice.

Does anyone here have experience with this matter?  How much gain is really needed to work all of the hamsats?  Thanks so much for your help.

Bruce  AF8F
WB0KFC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 09:00:19 AM »

Hello, I have the Gulf Alpha 2 meter 5x5CP and 70CM 8x8CP.  I am very impressed with the performance and quality of these antenna's.  I have no problems working the sats with 5 watts from my FT817.  Recently I worked well into Europe from Chicago on both AO-7 and FO-29 at around 1 deg for me.  Pete builds the ant's one at a time so it may take some time to get them after you order but I would wait again.  Hope this helps, 73 de WB0KFC/Glenn
N6JSX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 11:32:23 AM »

Other than M2 there isn't much 'commerically' any more....  Huh

Most of the OSCAR antennas are no longer made/in-business. However, in my Group (check signature below) you will find many of the old manuals and DIY articles in the FILES area. For economics - buy used and refurb into shape or build.  Grin

LU4AHR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 04:55:14 AM »

Hello all,

I used to do satellites long time ago but downsizing has kept me away of them so far.

Since I was forced (and still am BTW) to use fixed antennas, at that moment I had a fan dipole for 21 and 28 MHz and the crossed moxons as described originally by Cebik for 2 m and 70 cm.  The moxons worked extremely well, quite better than the turnstyles and even a quadrifilar helix I tried once.

Moxon antennas are pretty easy to build, inexpensive, and quite forgiving, just got to be careful with the dimensions and the gaps though. 

Just my 2 cents, hope this helps.

Good luck !!! 

73 de Marcelo - LU4AHR

KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 08:50:06 PM »

Check out Gulf Alpha antenna.  I'm just starting to put together a Sat station, and Pete is the go to person.  Also, Directive System is another source.  In this regard, Google is your friend!
N6JSX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 06:16:11 AM »

Before doing Gulf-Alpha read this post on eHAM.....   http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=75038.0

I'll avoid buying from them.....

W5PFG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 02:21:25 PM »

Before doing Gulf-Alpha read this post on eHAM.....   http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=75038.0

I'll avoid buying from them.....

As someone who purchased a set of Gulf Alpha circularly polarized beams I will say this:

1. The quality and craftsman ship is top notch, second to none.
2. The ease of installation is far superior to any other beams I've assembled from other "big names."
3. To have something rugged AND assembles easily is a big plus.  Gulf Alpha wins again.

Now for the "not so good..."

1. Delivery takes a long time for the Gulf Alpha satellite antennas.   Pete will tell you that up front.
2. Whatever Pete tells you for delivery time, plan on adding to it.  This is what others told me and this is what ended  up happening to me personally.  
3. Don't be in a hurry.

I classify Gulf Alpha as being a "niche market" antenna company. Do not compare them to companies that mass-produce off-the-shelf antennas.  There is a difference.  Luckily Pete doesn't jack up his prices.  The wait is the price you will pay for quality! 

Even considering the "not so good," I am now planning to order at least one or two of his linear yagis.  His element-to-boom construction and assembly is overall a WINNER.

Clayton
W5PFG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: