The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you do when you can finally read CW?  (Read 1259 times)
KF6HHH

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2008, 11:35:30 AM »

Well, I'm learning CW.....AGAIN!...for the umteenth time.  Hopefully, I've figured out all the things I'm not supposed to do and I'll be able to stick with it this tims.

I am using the G4FON trainer and am doing pretty good, and am listening to practice messages and CW on the air.  I noticed that I can copy some CW, but right now it's just a bunch of letters in my head.  I was wondering how do I copy the words and stuff?  I mean, do I write or type the letters down and figure it out from there?  I have a program that reads CW and I noticed it does the same thing, it puts all the letters together then I have to figure out what the words are.

Just wondering how to do it CORRECTLY when I finally get my head out of my......you know, and am able to communicate with CW again (I did it one whole time a couple of years ago!!! YEA!!!!).
Dan'o  :}
KF6HHH, someone who wants to keep CW alive....and I just love the end of my call in CW!!!
_.... .... .... ....
Sounds like I got the hicups!
M0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 12:27:19 PM »

Hello, i have just come through what your heading into now. I used G4FON along with other pc morse trainers and like you sat listening to simulated qso's.

The thing i found is that there needs to be a minimal speed for the characters to be sent to stop you counting dits and dahs and to learn to hear the tune of each character for want of a better word.

The sound of the letter C for example has its own distinctive sound when sent fast enough for the dits and dahs not to be counted. This is the same with words .

At first i had to simply copy each letter down on paper as it was sent and do it this way, as you get more experienced you will notice that complete words also have a tune to them and you will start to copy the whole word as one instead of a group of letters.

Untill you get to the point that you hear words instead of single letters its a matter of practice. I have just started hearing complete words here and there so i still have a way to go but dont let that keep you off the air.

Don't get in a rut of using a decoder on the pc. a guy i know does this and cant send very well at all because he has never really learnt the letters and relies on the pc. Ok for now he can copy a qso at 30wpm but when he tries to send it is simply a jumble of dits ans dahs.

Don't wait till you can read complete words and sentences on the pc,

One tip i would give anyone and i really do think this is the best possible way to progress..

Get on and use the code. even if its only rx but thats boring. pound that brass..

billy

KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 07:41:47 PM »

I was wondering how do I copy the words and stuff? I mean, do I write or type the letters down and figure it out from there?

You copy in your head and only write down the key information.  
K1HS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 05:01:36 AM »

>>You copy in your head and only write down the key information.<<

There you have it! :-)
KF6HHH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 09:17:30 AM »

Thanks for all the info.  I found a couple of my old operating books and it discusses the same things you folks talk about, so I guess I'm headed in the right direction.
Dan'o  :}
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 12:48:10 PM »

I don't think there's anything wrong with being able to transcribe from code to paper.

But the vast majority of time I'm using CW, I am not just transcribing it to paper.

You WILL reach a level where you can have a whole conversational QSO without any hardcopy at all.

The way to do this, is to have enough real QSO's, with actual conversations, on the air. You'll be confident enough to do this after you've mastered the RST/Name/QTH/Rig/Antenna/WX QSO and just take notes instead of copying each and every letter. I'm sure those computer practice programs are OK, and many will do entire practice QSO's, but they are not (as far as I know) a conversation.

Just listening to QSO's on the air, you will eventually get to the point where you don't have to put everything down on paper. But nothing beats actually being part of the conversation.

Tim.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 04:05:22 PM »

When I'm operating CW, I write down the signal report, name and QTH (and any other stuff I might want to recall) in my paper log.  

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: