Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What cleaner(s) to use on a couple of Kenwood Hybrids  (Read 4633 times)
KB8BAB

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2012, 04:31:40 PM »

For my winter project, I picked up an TS-820 and a TS-530S.

TS-820 was sold as is with "no power out", well after some playing with it, it has 110W out.

Anyway both of these old anchors need to be thoroughly cleaned so the question...what to use.

Pots are scratchy, band-switches need cleaning, VFO needs cleaning. What are good products to clean and also products to lube and protect?

Bart
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 07:02:23 PM »

Pots and switches require Deoxit.

Covers, faceplate, bezels (all removed of course), use Krud Kutter, Spray, soak, let sit for 1-2 minutes, rinse with water. Do not use the spray and wipe method.
KB8BAB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:25:21 AM »

Thanks for the info, found deoxit online.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 09:51:04 AM »

Krud Kutter can be found at Lowes or Home Depot.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 05:20:36 PM »

Rat Shack has DeOxit too.
james
WD5GWY
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 07:21:08 PM »

james
WD5GWY

I saw it there, and think it was expensive. You can get it on ebay bigger and cheaper can.
KB8BAB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 05:08:52 AM »

Got it...

Yep Rat Shack has it, bought it to continue with the project....did not last very long...
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 06:59:12 AM »

I have a small bottle of DeOxit that I've been nursing for better than 15 years... In terms of dollars per ounce you can buy some very fine booze for less. It doesn't take much to wet the contacts (which is all you need) of a rotary switch so DeOxit is cost effective on that level, but for potentiometers and less precise applications I've had good results with CRC 2-26.

It's rated for electrical work and lasts longer than WD-40. Look for the blue spray can at your local handy guy or auto parts store in the 'chemical tools' section. Much less expensive than DeOxit but about as effective IMHO.

Even though it's in a spray can, you can use it for precise application. Spray a little in the cap of the can then use a resistor wire or similar to transfer droplets to the work.

Never change a password on a Friday                
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 04:06:04 PM »

Got it...

Yep Rat Shack has it, bought it to continue with the project....did not last very long...
I bought some last year(2 can pack) and still have one full can a part of another.
It seems to take very little of it to be effective. Even with a Hallicrafters S-40a that
had been sitting out in a barn for years.
james
WD5GWY
Have fun on your project!!

WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 04:08:29 PM »

james
WD5GWY

I saw it there, and think it was expensive. You can get it on ebay bigger and cheaper can.
Yes, I know that you can get it online cheaper. But, it always seems I need it "NOW" and
not later when I run out. I still have one full can and most of another from my  last purchase from Radio Shack, A little goes a long way!!
james
WD5GWY
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 04:45:10 PM »

I hate when I need it now and do not have it! LOL

N8CBX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 06:36:39 AM »

For my winter project, I picked up an TS-820 and a TS-530S.
Bart,
I just cleaned my TS-820s. I pulled most of the boards and de-fluxed them with a solvent and then blow dry with compressed air.
We have a Kenwood hybrid net on Sat (7.235 @3:30) & Sun (14.316 MHz @ 18:00 GMT).
Mine still has the original tubes, but I'm going to re-cap it as soon as I receive my parts
Jan N8CBX

Dayton Ohio - The Birthplace of Aviation
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 09:13:14 AM »

"  I hate when I need it now and do not have it! LOL "

Well, you can use the down time as AC5UP sugested; "some very fine booze ". I'm more plebeian so its beer for me.... ..

I use a tooth pic for the de ox.

klc
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 12:41:50 PM »

Bart,
I just cleaned my TS-820s. I pulled most of the boards and de-fluxed them with a solvent and then blow dry with compressed air.
We have a Kenwood hybrid net on Sat (7.235 @3:30) & Sun (14.316 MHz @ 18:00 GMT).
Mine still has the original tubes, but I'm going to re-cap it as soon as I receive my parts
Jan N8CBX

Years ago, there was a cleaner called Blue Shower. Worked great. But then the environmental police came, and they changed the formula. Never worked the same, and I am not sure if it is still around.
W9WLS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 05:18:50 AM »

Check your "Electrical Supply" house or "JOBBER"  for "CONTACT RE-NU MS-730", comes in several size's of aerosols.
Work's almost as well as the old CRC cleaner, is a bit pricey (industrial product) but good stuff on contacts and pots, and will remove some levels of crud.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: