Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC-7000 - improve audio quality?  (Read 11310 times)
CHRISDX

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2012, 09:29:55 PM »

hi all,

I just acquired a Drake SW2 (and  Degen 1103 for when I'm on the road) for SW listening.  This is a great opportunity to compare a few radios. My main station rig is the IC7000, a great radio, but terrible audio. I bought a bearcat external speaker which is muffled, not better.

First thing I noticed about the Drake SW2 (besides the incredible sync det) is the audio quality is so much clearer, and smoother. Not harsh. I know the little internal speaker is puny and not great, but since I already took a stab at one external speaker, thought of putting it out here as to if there is any significantly better speaker that works well with the 7000?  Looking for something on the smaller side as space is very limited.

as to these 2 new additional radios, please dont tell my wife LOL
KB5ZSM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 11:36:22 PM »

I also have a IC7000 but I haven't noticed the audio being quite that bad. Of the various external speakers that I've tried, I think my favorite is a 6 x 9 that I mounted in a small plywood box. The speaker is a 'tri-axial'. In other words it is three speakers in one. A full 6 x 9 and a smaller midrange and tweeter mounted in the middle. The box was made from 3/4 inch plywood to make it very solid. I place it on the rear deck facing forward and it works great.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 06:15:41 AM »

There is only one good way to get RX and TX audio with the Icom 7000 and that's to use an external equaliser.

A quick HOWTO from Bob Heil,

Start at 43:30.
http://twit.tv/show/ham-nation/36
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 07:14:39 AM »

Three things:

1.  Use a good loudspeaker -- 2-driver or 3-driver, with a 5" woofer or larger.  Any hi-fi "bookshelf loudspeaker" will be OK. 

2.  Make sure the IF filter is set to "soft skirts", _not_ "steep skirts".  "Soft skirts" is the default for SSB mode, but somebody might have changed it.   I don't know why, but "steep skirts" gives an _awful_ sound on SSB.

3.  Adjust the filter bandwidth for good sound.    The Icom default SSB bandwidths are all narrow -- likely, narrower than the old Drake.  For pleasant sound, try 150 Hz - 3 kHz.   Change it back before the next contest.

.              charles

CHRISDX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 02:15:31 AM »

thanks charles, how to change the 7000 to 150hz - 3khz?  I looked at the menus, only could find transmit bandwidth not receive...

3.  Adjust the filter bandwidth for good sound.    The Icom default SSB bandwidths are all narrow -- likely, narrower than the old Drake.  For pleasant sound, try 150 Hz - 3 kHz.   Change it back before the next contest.

.              charles

M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 01:27:38 PM »

Scroll through using the Menu button until you see FIL. Select filter 3 then press and hold the FIL button and it'll then get you to where you can change it.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 09:56:44 PM »

Or, check the manual for "twin passband tuning" (Twin PBT) -- p.77.

You can make temporary bandwidth changes with the two coaxial knobs -- one for the bass cutoff, the second for the high-frequency cutoff.

.           Charles
KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 08:50:02 AM »

Good #2 good tip!!!  Yes.. I like it!

And for #1 I use the Bose noise cancelling headphones - they sound amazing!  I also have a CLRspkr from West Mountain Radio and it works far better than the internal speaker AND its noise reduction is a real plus.

Three things:

1.  Use a good loudspeaker -- 2-driver or 3-driver, with a 5" woofer or larger.  Any hi-fi "bookshelf loudspeaker" will be OK. 

2.  Make sure the IF filter is set to "soft skirts", _not_ "steep skirts".  "Soft skirts" is the default for SSB mode, but somebody might have changed it.   I don't know why, but "steep skirts" gives an _awful_ sound on SSB.

.              charles

Mike
KD2CJJ
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 09:29:13 AM »

Although the conventional wisdom is that you "must" use an external speaker specifically marketed for communications use, your comment about the sound quality of Bose (OMG! That's Hi-Fi!) headphones proves a point I learned years ago...

With rare exception, every thrift store sees orphaned speakers donated from a bookshelf stereo system that has lost its will to live. The speakers are still good but the electronics not so much. You can buy them for maybe $5 a pair or less. Look for something that's a good size for your situation, bass reflex, and marked 4 Ohms impedance. Bass reflex speakers run better efficiency than acoustic suspension designs and considering the anemic amplificator in most rigs, higher efficiency is a good thing. You'll recognize what you want by the empty round hole front or rear. That's the bass port.

If possible, eyeball the speaker(s) for rotted foam surrounds. The industry went through a fad of high compliance drivers using a thin foam between the cone and basket. This was a good idea until the foam fell apart. As a general rule orphaned bookshelf speakers do not have this issue. Foam surrounds were more common on high end goods and the typical thrift shop is more like Wally World than Sam Goody.

BTW:  Before someone says bookshelf speakers have too much treble for radio use, remember that a tweeter can be disconnected and a small value electrolytic can be added across the speaker lugs. Either can mellow the tone as needed.

What do you think is inside the high dollar "communications grade" boxes?

Never change a password on a Friday                
K8ESE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 02:56:24 PM »

I am having multiple problems with both the internal speaker and the external ICOM speaker for the ICOM IC 7000 that I just got on the air....when I had the Icom external speaker connected, I was getting strong feedback through it while I tried SSB operation....audio was very annoying so I put a choke on the speaker wire and did no good...I unplugged the darn thing from the 7000, and the audio still had the bad feedback through the internal speaker on multiple bands....Is there something I am missing on this IC 7000 that I should be doing...It is properly grounded and checked the manual for a setting that maybe has to be done....no luck...I wander if anyone out there can help me with some info to rid the internal speaker feedback....Thanks very much..Harold K8ESE
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 05:01:20 PM »

I strongly doubt that you are getting "feedback' through the speaker.

I've never seen a ham transceiver that was designed to output micrphone sidetone from the speaker whether internal or external. Why?  Because it serves no purpose, and the only thing that can happen would be actual feedback.

I suspect that you are getting either RF overload from the antenna or common mode RF down the coax.

This question gets asked and answered in several posts every week. It is worth spending some time reviewing the forums.  Here are some quick answers.

Procedural point:  It is better to post your separate questions rather than piggy back them onto a year old unrelated topic.  Smiley

-Try reducing power to see if there is a level where problem disappears.
-Clean up your shack, separate cables, coil them out.
-Try putting toroid chokes on your antenna coax, mike cable
-Does problem go away on different bands?
-Re-orient antennna,
-move antenna further away from shack
-elevate the antenna
-Look at possible ground loops.  Do you have ground wires between components?  If so try removing them.
K8ESE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 06:26:13 PM »

Thank you for your advice....This is the only rig that I have had this problem.....I apologize for the intrusion on this forum.....But I will follow your advice...many thanks Smiley. 73 Harold
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 04:00:07 AM »

;)K8SE--make sure the "monitor" facility is switched OFF.

73!.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: