Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: why such impunity?  (Read 969 times)
WS4T

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2012, 09:40:26 AM »

My question: How can malicious, intentional QRMers can get away with what they do?

Today during the PT0S pileup on 15m CW, there was a guy who had some long CW tape playing over and over: "QRX QRX QRX ... POLICE ..." etc. I was trying to block it out of course but I still haven't managed to work PT0S so I am ANGRY.

So what I am thinking is this: What if we somehow came up with a little organization and we all funded it, each putting in, say $25. We can build a fairly large fund like this. Our goal: To bring justice to QRMers. How: By creating and publicizing a reward system for people who provide verifiable, actionable information about QRMers. Clearly, someone must know because radio operators can distinguish local signals from non-local signals. We just need to convince some locals to step forward, anonymously if necessary.

Of course, then we need to involve the authorities of the respective country, since I'm not saying we should cut some malicious QRMer's coax, of course. If the authorities are interested, it's easy as pie to track down these creeps. Just use some DF product like this: http://www2.rohde-schwarz.com/product/DDF255.html

What do you guys think? I'm just venting, but there should be a way to put an end to the current state of impunity.

Gary, ES1WST (WS4T)

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 11:36:35 AM »

My question: How can malicious, intentional QRMers can get away with what they do?

Today during the PT0S pileup on 15m CW, there was a guy who had some long CW tape playing over and over: "QRX QRX QRX ... POLICE ..." etc. I was trying to block it out of course but I still haven't managed to work PT0S so I am ANGRY.

So what I am thinking is this: What if we somehow came up with a little organization and we all funded it, each putting in, say $25. We can build a fairly large fund like this. Our goal: To bring justice to QRMers. How: By creating and publicizing a reward system for people who provide verifiable, actionable information about QRMers. Clearly, someone must know because radio operators can distinguish local signals from non-local signals. We just need to convince some locals to step forward, anonymously if necessary.

Of course, then we need to involve the authorities of the respective country, since I'm not saying we should cut some malicious QRMer's coax, of course. If the authorities are interested, it's easy as pie to track down these creeps. Just use some DF product like this: http://www2.rohde-schwarz.com/product/DDF255.html

What do you guys think? I'm just venting, but there should be a way to put an end to the current state of impunity.

Gary, ES1WST (WS4T)

If it were a NA ham, which I would say is a 50% possiblity, all you could do is go pin his coax or kick his ass. The FCC wont do anything and does not have the people to do this anymore.  Damned shame....... Roll Eyes

73, Gene AF3Y
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 12:53:56 PM »

Yep, there's nothing you could do that wouldn't probably land you in jail. The FCC has made it clear they won't do anything about it.

If you really want to stop them, simply ignore them. They do it to provoke a response, including the endless stream of forum complaints and vent sessions. If nobody ever mentioned the words "intentional QRM" again, I think we'd find that it would significantly decrease.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 01:03:39 PM »

By now QST should be hitting your mailbox.

In this month's issue, Laura Smith said that self-policing is working just fine, and they (the FCC) are getting really aggressive with enforcement.

I hope she's right but I doubt it.

I think they are dealing more with truck stops selling 11m rigs and less with on air stuff. So yes, they are doing enforcement but not the kind we are thinking about.

Look, I doubt they will do anything about QRMers on DXpeditions, or contests, or nets that deliberately interfere with ongoing QSOs. The best way to deal with it? Technology. Directional antennae and filters will take care of most problems that the FCC doesn't deal with.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »

The kilocycle cops are all having a fistfight on 10.1385 now that PT0S has gone away. I haven't heard one of them ID yet.
W4RS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 10:20:16 PM »

the post on here about the pin in the coax carries me back a long time. on a wide area repeter in n.c their was a unlicened fellow who jamed, cursed, beltched, etc all day on the repeater. i was diving down the road near sanford nc one day and listened on the input freq, he was strong, i did find him, and road away from his house with about 50 feet of his coax!
never heard him again on there!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: