Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 1500 or winradio  (Read 3930 times)
KB2HUK

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2012, 04:54:08 PM »

I am looking for a good SDR radio receiver for the UHF and VHF bands including HF would be fine .  can anyone recomend one that they use ?  I am thinking about either Icom 1500 or the winradio Excalibur .  Thanks for your opinions .  John kb2huk
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 05:29:36 PM »

ICOM 1500? Maybe you meant FLEX 1500.
If so, you will need transverters to hook up
to the Flex 1500 for VHF & UHF.
The Flex 1500 covers 160- 6 meters out of box.
There are several transverts on the market that
will work with the 1500. Get on the Flex Radio
Yahoo group and you can find a lot of info that will
help you if that is what you want.
james
WD5GWY
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 05:39:51 PM »

I am looking for a good SDR radio receiver for the UHF and VHF bands including HF would be fine .  can anyone recomend one that they use ?  I am thinking about either Icom 1500 or the winradio Excalibur .  Thanks for your opinions .  John kb2huk

I think you may be a little confused between what is and is not a SDR.  The receivers you mention are not SDRs, they are PC controlled receivers.  Big difference!

The ICOM PCR-1500 is not a SDR, it is a PC controlled receiver.  

As far as Winradio, the only receivers they sell that are SDRs are the ones that cover up to 49.99 MHz and are described as DDC based receivers.  The Winradio receivers that cover VHF and UHF like you are interested in are not SDRs.  They are PC controlled receivers.

Gene
KB2HUK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 07:28:56 PM »

OK , Let me be a little more specific I am looking for a computer controlled receiver that will scan vhf and uhf frequiences quickly with a many memories To be used 99% of the time for FM . I am looking at monitoring much of the public service traffic on the FM vhf and uhf bands.  Any suggestions ?  I will try and be more specific next time   Smiley
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 10:29:57 PM »

As I see it your receiver does not have to be SDR.
The Excalibur is limited to 50 MHz which is probably not your intended receiving range. So you'll have to use a converter to get to the higher frequencies.
Th ICOM PCR-1500 seems to be a good solution. It is really wide concerning the coverage. However, your next question to raise will be: What antenna should I have? So may be you could state the frequency range you plan on receiving.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 02:40:12 AM »

OK , Let me be a little more specific I am looking for a computer controlled receiver that will scan vhf and uhf frequiences quickly with a many memories To be used 99% of the time for FM . I am looking at monitoring much of the public service traffic on the FM vhf and uhf bands.  Any suggestions ?  I will try and be more specific next time   Smiley

You did say SDR which is a BIG difference.  In is  not a matter of being more specific, it is not even the same thing at all.

Why not buy a scanner?  Why does it need to be computer controlled?

Also, computer controlled receivers such as the PCR-1500 make a crappy scanner.  They are not able to scan nearly as fast and efficiently as todays modern scanning receiver.  One of your stated requirements is that it scans VHF and UHF frequencies quickly.

If you are primarily interested in the public service frequencies, then most anything worth listening to today has gone to a trunked system and many of those are now going digital.  This would be another reason to by a modern scanning receiver and if you need to monitor digital systems, this limits the choice even more.  

As for an antenna, this one is very popular and works well: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=ST2&d=AntennaCraft-ST2-Scanner-Antenna-Kit-with-50-Foot-Cable-%28ST2%29

Gene
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 03:20:21 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 06:57:11 PM »

I own a small fleet of Icom PCR radios, including the 100s, 1000s and 1500s. They are well suited as a computer controlled wideband receiver, not so much as a scanner. The 1500 makes a nice car receiver using only the control head, no PC. The PCR2500 at least has the option of installing AP25 for a couple hundred bucks more, but by the time you buy all the stuff and outfit a PC for dedicated use, you might as well just get a good scanner.

You'd be better off with one of the Uniden Home Patrols or Bearcats.

For wideband use, the traditional discone antenna is fine. The AOR DA3200 is a good choice but spendy. On the low budget end, the Radio Shack discone is not that great unless you can find one for really cheap. It works ok but tends to fall apart. Some folks have had OK luck with it by bolstering up the connection points and using Loctite. A better choice for a few bucks more is the Diamond ANT-09, which is mostly stainless steel and more durable construction.

I have the Antennacraft Gene mentioned, and it is OK and pretty cheap. Not as good as a discone, but half the price.

AUSSIE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 01:44:52 AM »

Hi John i use the PCR1000/1500 R2500 all are excellent receivers for hf/vhf/uhf as for antennas i use a Wellbrook-ALA1530AL-1 Active Loop on hf for vhf an Icom-AH7000 Discone..

Regards Lino..
MY SHACK:
ALINCO DJ-X11,ALINCO DJ-X2000,ALINCO DX-R8 (2)
AOR-3030,AOR-50001D,AOR-82OOMK3,AOR-8600MK3
DRAKE-R8,DRAKE-SW2
GRE-PSR400,GRE-PSR500
GRUNDIG SATELLIT-750
ICOM-PCR1000,ICOM-PCR1500,ICOM-R3,ICOM-R20,ICOM-R71A,ICOM-R75 (2),
ICOM-R2500,ICOM-R7100,ICOM-R8500,ICOM-RX7
KINETIC SBS-3
PALSTAR-R30A
REALISTIC-PRO2035
RFSPACE SDR-IQ (2)
SANGEAN-ATS909X
TEN TEC-320D
UNIDEN-BCT15X,UNIDEN-UBCD396T,UNIDEN-UBCD396XT,UNIDEN-UDC780XLT
UAESU-VR500
+50 RECEIVERS I SHARE IN DADS SHACK
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 02:57:58 AM »

Looks like an interesting collection of rigs.

As for the Wellbrook antenna, it is a useful for the HF range up to about 30 MHz. I got one myself.
AUSSIE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 11:34:42 AM »

Hi thanks got the original ALA1530/ALA1530AL-1/ALA1530L all work excellent main intrest for me is monitoring hf/vhf aircraft took me a while to get the right height and distance use to also have the ALA330S but couldnt get the height or distance from house sold it most of the rigs that i got at dads place are all massive and take too much room,These are my Youtube videos monitoring hf aero..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5luzVUgyojM&feature=player_detailpage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=S9jnwVrmSHM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=P0HnXBJ46fM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KguFaSCZus&feature=player_detailpage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=upSTko6F5uo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dcC5htysocQ

Regards Lino..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: