Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alinco memory not holding the freqs.  (Read 2501 times)
W4WXT

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2012, 04:23:03 AM »

Good day!
   I have an Alinco DR-590T installed in my pickup. When I program the freq. in it, it seems as though it lasts a day or two then reverts back to 145.00...hmmmmm.... Took the face off and soldered a brand new battery in it and it still does it. I'm certainly not the brightest crayon in this box. Can someone please give me some guidance on what to try next? Also, I can't find a separation cable for it. Can one like this be made perhaps? Thanks so much for reading my post/request. May God bless each and every one during this holiday season.

(P.S.......It's not XMAS..........it's spelled CHRISTMAS)
          Smiley
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 04:40:33 AM »

As long as you correctly maintained battery polarity (+, -) for the lithium cell replacement --
then you have another failed component, such as leaking capacitor, bad RAM chip.

Majority of modern radios are now SMT in construction, like the smartphones.  
Majority of the 700,000+ radio amateurs do not have any training or test equipment
 for these electronics workbench repairs.

BEST ADVICE:  Get on the telephone and TALK to one of the 4 Alinco Service Centers in USA.
They can advise, based on their factory training, next steps for your radio.
http://www.alinco.com/policyandlist.html

w9gb

====
For repair of your Alinco equipment NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY,
please contact the shop listed below nearest your location for the fastest repair time.

ALINCO Mobile & HF radios - Service Centers

Nationwide
COMTEK
26611 HWY 3 NW
Poulsbo, WA 98370
(360) 779-9730
Kuni Okuma W7JV/JA1JDX
NOTE: COMTEK ACCEPTS ONLY MOBILE/HF RADIOS

Central United States
Burghardt Radio Repair Inc.
P.O.Box 73, 1320 13th Ave SE #48
Watertown, SD 57201
Voice: (605) 886-7314
Fax: (605) 886-3444

Southern United States
MARTEK Mississippi Electronic Repair
13238 Hudson-Krohn Rd.
 Biloxi, MS, 39532
(228) 396-3005
Glenn Martin, KE5RHF

South Central United States
Clairmont Skyland Radio & TV
4004 Buford Hiway
 Atlanta, GA 30345
(404) 636-5909
Bill Waller, KC4OVY
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:48:18 AM by W9GB » Logged
W4WXT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 04:48:19 AM »

TyVm Greg. I will do just that. Hopefully, it's something I can repair. This radio isn't worth putting 100's into, but, it's all I got Smiley
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 07:20:32 AM »

In that case it might be worth double checking the battery voltage, both at the battery and downstream on the PC board. You want to verify the battery remains good and it is making proper contact with the memory circuit.

Rare, but possible that something like a 'buffer' capacitor on the memory chip power line (to soften power on / power off transients that might glitch CMOS) has gone leaky and drained the battery. If the new battery is something like a CR-2032 Lithium coin cell that now measures less than 3.0 volts you either bought a stale battery or the radio snuffed it. Also possible you smoked the battery when you soldered it. You want a hot iron that works fast when you solder a battery and if a Lithium coin cell oozes any liquid after being soldered it's effectively ruined.

Never change a password on a Friday                
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 04:04:30 PM »

In that case it might be worth double checking the battery voltage, both at the battery and downstream on the PC board. You want to verify the battery remains good and it is making proper contact with the memory circuit.

Rare, but possible that something like a 'buffer' capacitor on the memory chip power line (to soften power on / power off transients that might glitch CMOS) has gone leaky and drained the battery. If the new battery is something like a CR-2032 Lithium coin cell that now measures less than 3.0 volts you either bought a stale battery or the radio snuffed it. Also possible you smoked the battery when you soldered it. You want a hot iron that works fast when you solder a battery and if a Lithium coin cell oozes any liquid after being soldered it's effectively ruined.

My experience in the field is that the CR2032 are rather shitty and last about 3 years. What I have done in the past with radios that had difficult access (like behind front face panel), is I purchased a CR2032 socket at Radio Shack, and wired it in a better location, so you can change the battery much quick in the future.
VK2HLG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 01:16:39 AM »

Regarding Xmas, the X character is actually meant to be the Greek letter chi, a standard abbreviation in theology for the christ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

VK2HLG

Happy to be able to post something other than a question for a change!
W4WXT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 01:32:23 AM »

Followed your advice Nelson, and indeed it was the "stale" battery. So, for 8 bucks fior a battery I contacted battery Bob and got a refund pending my return of the battery. I don't really know where to get these CR2032's with the tabs on them. But, thanks a bunch guys I really appreciated your help! Gold bless and keep you, Bobby, KS9LBW.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 04:03:43 AM »

Followed your advice Nelson, and indeed it was the "stale" battery. So, for 8 bucks fior a battery I contacted battery Bob and got a refund pending my return of the battery. I don't really know where to get these CR2032's with the tabs on them. But, thanks a bunch guys I really appreciated your help! Gold bless and keep you, Bobby, KS9LBW.

There are everywhere. CVS, Walgreens, Home Depot, etc. They are about $5. Size of a quarter.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 05:56:56 AM »

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 06:18:20 AM »

Most retail places sell one pretty expensively. The 2 pack is about the same price. A better deal.
AC7ZN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 06:48:26 AM »

Hi all,
Suggest you purchase a brand name cell from a supplier that does decent volume to avoid getting a bad one.   I have received stale CR2032 cells from Amazon suppliers and fake CR2032s (much smaller cells embedded in the CR2032 shell with some dead on arrival) from Chinese eBay suppliers.

Though stores such as WalMart's price may not be the best they probably have the freshest cells.

Glenn AC7ZN
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 07:55:05 AM »

Hello  out there..   Batteriesamerica.com..
with tabs   about   3 bucks...

I have replaced  batteries in several  Kenwoods ..  average life was  10  years..

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 09:42:49 AM »

Hi all,
Suggest you purchase a brand name cell from a supplier that does decent volume to avoid getting a bad one.   I have received stale CR2032 cells from Amazon suppliers and fake CR2032s (much smaller cells embedded in the CR2032 shell with some dead on arrival) from Chinese eBay suppliers.

Though stores such as WalMart's price may not be the best they probably have the freshest cells.

Glenn AC7ZN

Very true. I think think are all too common.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 10:35:38 AM »

The 2 pack is about the same price. A better deal.

Which is why I gave you a link to Harbor Freight where you can buy a blister card of four... Yes, four... That's four CR-2032 or 2025 / 2016 lithium cells for a measly $1.99!  That's like 50 cents each, or in New Jersey thirtynineeleven cents!  Cheaper than batteries that fell off the back of a truck, fer cryin' out loud...

Is this a great country or what?  And the Harbor Freight batteries come from a country with a great wall.

You probably didn't realize I was carrying a concealed URL..................    Roll Eyes

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 11:35:09 AM »

My company used to always send me undervoltage batteries. The first time I got them in an anti-static bag! Duh. I had to email them and tell the pickers that those bags were conductive, and not to use them. But frequently, they were weak.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: