Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CMOS-4 Settings?  (Read 383 times)
N4KXG

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2008, 07:22:51 AM »

I have purchased a used CMOS 4 keyer and have been reading the info on all the features while I await it's arrival next week.
Who can tell me a good auto space setting for this keyer to start out with, and also how about the emulating function, what is popular in that setting?
I like to work around 30-35wpm (and hopefully more.)
   Thanks for your input..
              73 Pete N4KXG
KN1W

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 09:33:10 AM »

Hi there,

I only have experience with the K3 and K5 keyers.

The big question for me was the emulation, V0 which is the default, It's more like a IAMBIC B according to my non-scientific testing. V3 and V6 are IAMBIC A like. I can go deeper into this but it takes too much writing and I am not an expert at all on this matter to waste your time.

The other biggie is the K function "keying compensation", I have found that for most my radios the value 02 is a good number.

Autospace "A" is either on or off, You can not set the length of the space, this function forces 3 elements of space when 1 element of space is detected. This is space between characters not words.

Take Care,

de KN1W
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 05:15:14 PM »

"while I await it's arrival next week.'

You sure?
VE3XDB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 04:47:14 AM »

Hi Pete,

I have been using the CMOS-4 for several years.  I don't have it in front of me right now, so I can't tell you the current settings.  

It's a used unit so I would recommend a complete reset (buttons 1,3 and 4 down at power up if I recall correctly).  Then you have the factory settings.  

I tried several of the emulations, and have settled on the default (V0).  Just play around and see which one you like.  

Other features that I use:

- set up one of the keyer messages to call CQ every 7 seconds until you stop it.  Takes a bit of playing around, but the manual walks you through the process in the tutorial section at the back of the instruction manual (The instructions are kind of buried in the text, but they are there).  I'm a casual CW operator, and don't use the keyer for contesting, so I set up the four memories with CQ, name, qth, and station description.  Very easy to do, and you can get much more sophisticated than this if you want to set it up for contesting.      

- swap paddles (because of course my paddle was wired backwards from the keyer wiring), keyer speed range (I operate at about 25wpm so I set the range from 15 to 35 wpm), sidetone mute (the default is on, and you want the sidetone off if your rig has a sidetone), sidetone frequency (I set the frequency equal to the frequency of the rigs sidetone, so I hear the CW prompts at the same frequency as the rigs sidetone) and the memory keys are the functions that I ended up changing.  I also adjusted the speed of the cw instructions to a speed independent of the keyer speed (I think I set mine to 25wpm).

It is a nice keyer.  You'll often use the 1-2 key push (to adjust parameters) and the 3-4 key push (to inquire about the settings).  I still get these mixed up, but if I end up hearing an "F" instead of a "?", I just send a series of dits until it makes a rude noise, letting me know that I have done something that it does not understand.  

A couple of times over the years, mine just stopped working.  I think its little brain was overloaded.  I had to unplug it, leave it for a bit, do a full reset, and reprogram my memories and settings.  Then it was working fine again.  Maybe happened 3 or 4 times over the past 4 years.  

Anyway, hope this helps a bit.  Have fun with the keyer, it is a good unit.  If you're into kits, the K1EL keyer kits are also fun and interesting.  I built a K20 and more recently a K40.  They are keyboard kits, and work great with the keyboard or paddle.  Has a dozen memories and all the functionality of the CMOS-4.

Best regards,

Doug VE3XDB

N4KXG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 06:42:56 AM »

OK Great guys, appreciate the input.
Looking forward to working with a "new" keyer.
I always get good info on this site, never disappointed .
73' Pete N4KXG Florida
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: