Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Scanner Antenna relay box rebuild  (Read 5013 times)
KD0TLI

Ignore
« on: November 22, 2012, 06:40:34 PM »

Just got my Technician ticket,   dad gave me an old superscanner laying in the barn I want to convert to 10 meter.
An inspection of the relay box reveals rust inside the relays - so where do I go from here?

The obvious choice seems to be to find some new relays based on whats currently installed.
But is there a more modern "solid state" approach I should look at ?
Ive read the relay box is the weak point in these antenna's so maybe theres a better solution ?
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 07:38:52 PM »

This unit has to use relays to switch RF power to the element combinations.
There is no solid state sub for the relays at this level and power.
Full info except parts can be found at a website called CB tricks.

The controller and switch schematics are shown.
For 10 meter use you would shorten all elements the same amount.
There is a matching section involved that may need to be altered.
An antenna analyzer would be a good way dial in all the parameters for the new frequency of use.
When you go to rebuild using other parts and also move the frequency, you really need to know some antenna and transmission line theroy about what your trying to do or be very lucky.
Main thing is to get a near 50 ohm match in all directions selected as well as in the Omni selection position.
Good luck
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 12:38:58 PM »

Just got my Technician ticket,   dad gave me an old superscanner laying in the barn I want to convert to 10 meter.
An inspection of the relay box reveals rust inside the relays - so where do I go from here?

The obvious choice seems to be to find some new relays based on whats currently installed.
But is there a more modern "solid state" approach I should look at ?
Ive read the relay box is the weak point in these antenna's so maybe theres a better solution ?

The best thing you could do with that relay box is set it aside and then use the elements off the Super Scanner to make a 3 element yagi.  Grin I did that years ago and it makes a great beam.
KD0TLI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 12:54:43 PM »

Rick,   I believe you are right,  I was discussing just that with a fellow ham this morning on 2 meter.

However, I'm not sure my Dad would be so impressed with me hacking up the antenna he gave me.

I may put this project on the back burner, with the hopes of finding a good relay box in the classifieds.
If I cant find one, it may become a yagi.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: