Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CC R8 or HG DX77A Vertical for RV'ing?  (Read 777 times)
KO7I

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2012, 09:22:12 AM »

I am looking for recomendations on these two antenna's or alternatives. The reviews sections here on e-ham have pretty mixed reviews for these two antennas. Some hate 'em others like 'em. I am looking for a simple vertical to use while RV'ing. The antenna would be 15ft above the ground. Not really wanting have to deal with wire radials while RV'ing.

Thanks & 73,
Don KO7i
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:19:38 AM »

Don -

For RVing, you desire an antenna that is PORTABLE, EASY (and relatively FAST) to Assemble and Disassemble, and BREAKS DOWN to a weight and length the one person can install.
 That means avoiding Rube Goldberg solutions, with multiple parts and complex assembly.

I have never owned either of these antennas (Cushcraft R-8; Hy-Gain DX-77A).

The SECRET SAUCE is taking the time to engineer the complete solution ....
 Which is more that just buying the antenna from your local amateur radio dealer.

For example:  A stable tripod or portable ground mount is required for a vertical antenna.
I have configured and assembled Antenna "KITS" with the
 Cushcraft R-5/R-7 and Hustler/Newtronics 4-BTV vertical antennas.
Yes, the 4-BTV includes 8 radials, in addition to the tripod mount.

BOTH of these antenna kits can be assembled/disassembled in 5 to 10 minutes --
and the antenna kit breaks down to no more than 4 feet in length.
KO7I

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 05:44:30 AM »

Thank you for the response. I could tell by the number of reads vs. the number of responses that I had brought up a subject that was not easily solved. I am thinking a lot of people are just putting these antennas together with the provided demensions and then thanking God for the auto tuner in their radios.
I wish the R-7 was still in production, I would jump on one if it came my way.
I downloaded the manuals for R-8 & DX77-A antennas and see your point. The HyGain manual appears to have more complete tuning instructions. Both will require some up and down time getting the tuning set just right.
Looks like the HyGain antenna easier to tune and split into short pieces for transportation. I want to install a antenna mount on the ladder going up to the roof of my 33ft 5th wheel trailer. It is very solid and would handle a vertical with ease.

Vy 73, Don KO7i
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: