Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-950 / FT-897 soundcard interface?  (Read 4161 times)
AC4RD

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:18:19 AM »

Sorry, I could look this up, but I figure there's a good chance somebody will know this.  I've been using an FT-897D for PSK31 for a few weeks, operating portable.  It's become too cold for operating from the garden or the garage, though.  I was just thinking of hooking up the laptop and Signalink to the 950 inside.

I'm fairly sure the 897 and 817 have the same data input connections; that is, I could (in theory) unplug my PSK laptop/interface from the 897 and have it work on an 817 without any reconfiguration.   Does anybody know offhand if that is also true for the 950?  Or IOW, will the same Signalink configuration and mini-DIN connector that works on the 897 also work on the 950?

Thanks!
  --ken

(Emily Litella voice:) "Never mind."  Sorry.  Turns out the Signalink people had the info on their website, quick-n-easy.  Please disregard. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 07:13:45 AM by AC4RD » Logged
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 07:56:09 AM »

If you're using the 6-pin "mini-DIN" jack, I _think_ that's consistent among the three rigs.  It's also used by other manufacturers -- one of the few "standards" in the ham world.

You can check the pinouts (all in the manuals) as easily as I can.

.           Charles
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 11:15:29 AM »

Yes, it will work.  I use the same Signalink and cable betwen my 817/857/950 with no problems.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 03:01:38 PM »

Yes, it will work.  I use the same Signalink and cable betwen my 817/857/950 with no problems.

Thanks, CMH!  You may have noticed that I (D'ooooh!) thought to look at the Signalink website and saw that, about 5 minutes after I posted that question.  :-/  Ol' Grampa Ken must have forgotten to take his brain medicine that morning.  :-)

I've been too busy for a lot of activity, but I've worked a dozen or so contacts with the 950, and it's a BIG improvement over the 897 (same as the 857, I think.)  That notch filter and adjustable-width filtering is GREAT on crowded bands.  :-)

Thanks again, and 73!
   --ken
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 07:52:55 AM »

It never hurts to double check the ports/pins or ask opinions as you did.

I too have trouble finding time to operate lately.  I have had very good results with the 950 as well, it is a nice rig.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: