Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help identify periodic QRM  (Read 2757 times)
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 06:35:48 AM »

Chris,

Put pressure on them. The FCC is usually pretty good against power companies, if they do not fix the problem.

Start out with a nice friendly attitude and a phone call, though. 

Most power companies I've dealt with are very responsive to such reports and initiate repairs rather quickly. 

If the person reporting same treats them like they would like to be treated in the first place. 

Save the pressure for the rare occasion when a call or two doesn't yield a satisfactory response.

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 07:44:10 AM »

Chris,

Put pressure on them. The FCC is usually pretty good against power companies, if they do not fix the problem.

Start out with a nice friendly attitude and a phone call, though. 

Most power companies I've dealt with are very responsive to such reports and initiate repairs rather quickly. 

If the person reporting same treats them like they would like to be treated in the first place. 

Save the pressure for the rare occasion when a call or two doesn't yield a satisfactory response.

You obviously do not live in NJ?
CHRISDX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 09:02:21 AM »

National Grid is all over the map because they scooped up numerous utilities. Here in RI they were very slow and inefficient at responding to widespread power outages after hurricane Irene. There was a hue and cry about that and they promised to improve. Between Irene and Sandy, they created a response plan that was totally revamped. It involved placing liaisons with each police/city authority and pairing tree removal with line crews, and working that under a triage system. The improvement was dramatic and even the web site map was much more accurate after Sandy. Power was restored by Friday everywhere.

I signed onto the web site and found a nice page to report the broken street light. Got a confirmation email immediately. Then a response a few hours later. The response said I had failed to change the region from upstate NY to RI, and to re-enter. So I signed on, changed to RI, and filed the street light report. Nothing. No automated response OR human response. I had gotten both from NY.

I have National Grid gas as well, which like the electric was a bought utility. The elec company has online account info, easy bill pay and all that. The gas doesnt despite years of web promises to get them under one umbrella. Go figure.

So it appears National Grid is good at buying utilities, but operates them as a separate entity with some having better management than others. I was stunned that the NY/NJ power repairs were so slow and inefficient compared to our own. You'd think the changes they made for us would have been implemented at all their units, why not?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:04:40 AM by CHRISDX » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: