Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio Outlet  (Read 11016 times)
WD0FIA

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:53:09 AM »

I had my first issue EVER with HRO in better than 30 years of orders, and discovered they really do care about their customers!

I was amazed at how quickly they resolved my issue!  I spend about $2k a year of my own money on Ham gear, and purchase radios for other organizations.  I think their record has been awesome, as the items are always shipped promptly, and except for this one instance, have arrived in perfect condition.  The way this was handled was confirmation that they can be trusted to do the right thing!
KE0Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 06:31:03 PM »

HRO is outstanding!  I recently purchased a TS-590S and other equipment from HRO Phoenix.  They exhibited good technical insight, helped me greatly in choosing the right gear, were very friendly, and their prices were competitive.  I will continue to use HRO in the future because of their exceptional service.  Tim - KE0Q
NV7SY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »

I have to add my accolades for Ham Radio Outlet.  On the Saturday after Thanksgiving, I ordered a new Kenwood TS-590 just in time to take advantage of the Holiday Sale and the free MC-60 mic.  They weren't able to ship that day but it  did go out on Monday and arrived on Tuesday. Wow...what service.

Just 12 days after getting it, while in QSO on 40M, the set just died, lost power, lights, audio.  The MFJ power supply was good, as were the fuses and PS connections. Turning the radio on, the fan would activate momentarily, the power supply's meter indicated a couple of ma of current, but other than than.....nada.

The next morning, I call the Manager of the local Ham Radio Out (about 70 miles away) they told me to either send it to them or drive by and they would replace it with a new one.  I drove over, and within 5 minutes of arrival, I was on my way home with a new one.  The new one is on now and sounds and operates great.

Their prices are competitive (not the lowest, but far from the highest} but their service is FAR ABOVE REPROACH.  I have been dealing with Ham Radio Outlet since the early 1970's while I was overseas in the service and they have never, ever let me down.

73's and Merry Christmas & Happy New Year de K4KAI
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 12:25:07 PM »

My First HRO purchase was back in 83, before that there were ham dealer's that were local but they soon dell off the face of the earth, I still remember it was a spanking new TS930S. After that rig in the early 90ies I purchased more than a few Yaesu rings from them(FT990,FT1000MP and another 990 use) and would have the order's the next day always plus on the MP they went to bat for me right before a major contest, I had a problem with the MP's rcvr and the radio was less than six months old. They got on the phone to Yaesu and had them ship a brand new MP out with pin diodes in the front end. That was on a Monday and I had it by that Friday right before a contest weekend, these guys at HRO rock! During the early part of 2002 I close down my station and had taken a break from ham radio but back in 2005 I wanted to get back into the hobby again, my 1st call was to HRO and they sold me a IC746Pro, fin rig and a few year down the road a really clean used FT1KMP again. This year I got the itch to get a newer rig and they sold me a real fine TS590, I was on the fence between the Kenwood and the IC7410 but soo many ham's were buying the 590 I decided to go that way. HRO is always there to deal with you and always fair with the prices but there service is 110% in my book. Way to go HRO, keep on truckin!
Jim
KE2TR
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 12:10:53 PM »

They are the only place I would ever buy MFJ or Ameritron from.  They stand behind the customer 100%.

Sam
W9KDX
K9MOV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 06:22:59 PM »

I also ordered a new ts-590 in DEC. from HRO. I received it in 2 days but radio was bad out of the box. One phone call, sent the radio back--4 days later had a new ts-590 and it works FB.
Thank you-- HRO
Lane--K9MOV
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 05:36:49 AM »

When I was dealing with HRO and shipping stuff out of the USA HRO was just the best to deal with. There was a lady there named Janet she was very good at her job.
I would not have bothered  dealing with HRO if it was not for Janet. Anyway if you ordering from HRO just ask for Janet, she makes things happen in a professional  manner.

WB6TNB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 03:43:54 PM »

Back in the early 70's the store in Burlingame (no longer there; it was an old train station and the train still passed by) was the only one. One high school student was hired to work afternoons and Saturdays for a school year. I had that job in 1972/73. The company was Bob Ferrero, (K6AHV at the time; W6RJ now), the store manager and me. The store manager was a furloughed airline pilot and he was rehired. For several months HRO was just Bob and me.

Of course Bob is a big time DX'er. I'm told that he had a stroke and unfortunately isn't doing all that well. His son Robert, who ran the company for quite some time, was a little kid who came in some Saturdays. Every once in awhile a country would pop up that he hadn't worked. There was a TH6DXX with no rotator on the roof. I would get up on the roof with a wrench and a compass and point it toward wherever he said.

Selling a 2 meter rig involved finding out which repeaters the customer wanted to get on (and sometimes helping them decide), taking the rig out of the box, putting in the crystals and tweaking the transmitter on frequency with a frequency counter and a dummy load. 

I have a lot of great memories of that year. Maybe I even sold you something!  Smiley
KL0S

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 04:51:33 PM »

Oh boy, that brought back some memories - it was always a real treat to visit the "train station in Burlingame" in the late '60s/early 70's as a young high school ham (WN6FZN/WB6FZN at the time).  That store and the surplus stores on Market Street in San Francisco kept me in gear and parts.  HRO has been my supplier of choice ever since.

73 - Dino KL0S
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »

Me too! My first experience with HRO was at Burlingame in 1986. I bought a Regency Turboscan 800 scanner there..which I still have and it still works! What a neat company. I go to HRO Oakland for all my SWL/HF needs. Been going there for about 10years now. Mark-WI7YN, the manager of the place, really takes care of business in my experience.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 06:44:26 PM »

I have had reasonable results from HRO...  On the whole they are a fine group, and I would do business with them again anytime...
73's

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 08:20:25 PM »

+2 for Janet and HRO.  She is very responsive and has been a big supporter of our school club, and our ARISS project in particular.  She gives good advice and is not shy about telling you what products she recommends over others.  She is knowledgeable and follows up on what she says she will do.  I have only limited interactions with other HRO associates and they have all been positive.  It is just that Janet sticks out for me as I have dealt with her numerous times over the past six months..  I will gladly send HRO my money in the future.  I once asked why they don't have a store in Texas and after I thought about it, I decided not to kick that sleeping dog, again.  HRO is responsive in shipping and by not having an in state store, I don't have to pay sales tax.  HRO is honest and stands behind what they sell.  They also supply a lot of the equipment that goes into ARRL School Grant orders.
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 05:27:20 PM »

HRO is the first dealer I've seen with a price for the TS-990.
N2SLO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 11:28:11 AM »

I have used HRO for years. Great service, and usually the best price. I recently purchased the IC 9100, around thanksgiving and the sale has ended. The folks in New Hampshire gave me the sale price (under $3K). The unit was shipped in two days I was operating on 10M.

Free shipping is also a huge plus, saves big $$$$$. Great job and thanks HRO.
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 07:42:56 AM »

I called HRO Sunnyvale last Wednesday afternoon to get 100 ft. of antenna wire and 4 insulators (not a big bucks order).  Sunnyvale and Oakland were both out of stock.  The Sales guy found the parts in Anaheim, they shipped to my house and the stuff arrived Friday for my weekend project.  Nice service, I commend HRO.....

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: