Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anything Listed in 2013 that You Need For an ATNO?  (Read 4401 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 04:11:33 PM »

Rich, that antenna looks very impressive on the modeling program report.  Have you seen a no ticable difference in your ability to work some of these rarer stations?  I bet you're also glad there's no HOAs or CCRs where you live.  Sure makes a difference on your antenna work and your station performance.
ZL9 dxpedition propagation currently looks pretty good for me here.  30 through 10 inclusive has the airwaves open at certain times of the day.  The ACE-HF program doesn't look too good to that area for 40, 80 and 160 but we still have a few days to go.
Randy

All of my 4 antennas are aimed at ZL9 as I test - but PT0S has been S9++ on 40, 30 on the half square - and almost S9 on the high bands.

I worked ZW0S years ago - so I let you guys battle it out for an ATNO. I've burned out bothering with band fills. I don't bother with DXCC Challenge any more.

I think everyone in NA will do well with ZL9HR - but you really have to know when propagation will be there for you - and what antennas will work for your situation. CW with 500 watts or more is what I recommend for all Northeasterners . . . . If you are in the Southeast - you will do much better . . . .

(I can help you with this - if you email me - I'd be more than happy to give some advice). Also - (ask K6UJ) - I can even give you a strategy to work something like PT0S from the West Coast - where EU and NA East Coast kicks the Wests Coasts butt . . . .  (hope you don't mind me mentioning this Bob - hi hi).

I now have gain antennas with no traps (loss) at many different heights - and almost all mono banders (but only 2 elements in each case).

What I have just learned is that having so many different heights in my "toolbox" lets me select the angle of arrival - and it has outright shocked me. Depending on band - sometimes the antennas at 27' beat the antenna at 55' by a country mile - and I am talking mostly Asia - Pacific.

the old wives tale - just put one multi-bander up as high as you can is just sort of right - when you dial in for serious performance - not so much!

I have just tested ZL, BV, E51, HS, VK9L, V8 - and on 17, 15, 12 ans 10M - and the angle of arrival (take off angle on transmit) varies by the hour. I have never had an antenna system where I could measure this - but I am sooooo excited. The angle changes dramatically from hour to hour - and now I can switch from higher or lower antenna and always nails S9 ++++++ signals.

I used to be a sad sack down in the gully here.

Damn - this is fun!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 04:37:37 PM by KY6R » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 07:47:25 PM »

Quite a few that I need
Solomon is
Afghanistan
South Cook
Campbell
Temotu
Heard
Chatham
Temotu
Micronesia

You must really need Temotu--you listed it twice Cheesy
Afghanistan and Solomon are on now and you just missed Chatham two weeks ago (they're on regularly). V63 is also regularly activated as is E5, which I worked in CQWW on two bands. You should be able to work any of the T6s within a week or so.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 07:50:54 PM »

I'm hoping for one or more of these to be activated in 2013:

3Y0/B, E3, FR/G, FR/T, FT5Z, KH5K, KP1, VP8/S

Please, not Bouvet, Eritrea or Glorioso--I have them already from within the last decade.  The rest? Bring 'em on. Sadly, I missed the op in South Georgia today. I heard everybody calling but I couldn't hear a whisper from him unfortunately. Still sitting 14 back of #1 and 5 back of HR.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 09:07:09 PM »

Another goodie just got announced on DX-World.....
XT – Burkina Faso DXpedition.  I need this one for ATNO.

http://dx-world.net/2012/xt-burkina-faso-dxpedition/

I hope more will be announced shortly.

Jonathan W6GX
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 09:22:36 PM »

Oh good. I can use them on 10 and 160. Got 'em everywhere else.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 10:49:35 PM »

Oh good. I can use them on 10 and 160. Got 'em everywhere else.

Great.  One less big gun in the pileups.

Jonathan W6GX
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 05:07:28 AM »

Please, not Bouvet, Eritrea or Glorioso--I have them already from within the last decade.

?
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 05:18:55 AM »

Please, not Bouvet, Eritrea or Glorioso--I have them already from within the last decade.

?

Simple. I'm personally hoping that any major announcements do not happen to involve an ultra-rare entity that I already have worked and confirmed. I have 3Y0B, E30NA and FT5GA in the log. The others listed in the same post I don't have, so I'll personally welcome their activation Cheesy

In all seriousness, any of these ultra-rare ones would be great for a huge number of DXers, but in my mind, if some place hasn't been QRV for at least 10 years, that's a target I'd rather see put on the map if at all humanly possible. E3 would probably qualify in this case. Or, conversely, if someone is going to activate an ultra-rare one that's been on within 10 years, please let it be San Felix, South Georgia, South Sandwich, P5 or Pratas? Thank you. That is all.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 05:51:53 AM »

Please, do not activate these that I already have:

San Felix, South Georgia, P5 or Pratas

(Just kidding, Peter - touche!)
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 09:13:48 AM »

Quite a few that I need
Solomon is
Afghanistan
South Cook
Campbell
Temotu
Heard
Chatham
Temotu
Micronesia

Afghanistan and Solomon are on now and you just missed Chatham two weeks ago (they're on regularly). V63 is also regularly activated as is E5, which I worked in CQWW on two bands. You should be able to work any of the T6s within a week or so.

Well, my problem is scarcely any time to devote to working them.

And my current DX alert app doesn't do very well. That problem will be fixed soon though. Smiley
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 09:26:20 AM »

Quite a few that I need
Solomon is
Afghanistan
South Cook
Campbell
Temotu
Heard
Chatham
Temotu
Micronesia

Yeah I really need Temotu. Cheesy

Actually I need E5/N not E5/S. From what I understand E5/S is activated regularly but not E5/N. 
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 10:10:11 AM »

I'm hoping for one or more of these to be activated in 2013:

3Y0/B, E3, FR/G, FR/T, FT5Z, KH5K, KP1, VP8/S

I'm sure there are a lot of us who don't have those yet so I say "Bring em' on!". I'm sure they would still generate the pileups. However, I would gladly sacrifice any of those for a P5 or KP1 operation even though I already have the latter. Considering how hard it is to activate Navassa I know it would be a once in a lifetime shot for a lot of DX'ers.

John K7KB
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 01:33:11 PM »

Actually I need E5/N not E5/S. From what I understand E5/S is activated regularly but not E5/N.

Yeah, North Cooks is not all that common, although there were two long activations in the past 12 months, both begging after the first couple of days. Until your app is ready, just get ve7cc's app and set email alarms and audio alarms. Can't tell you the number of times those have helped me get new bands/modes.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 05:06:49 PM »

I'd like to see Navassa activated. Is its status that different from Desecheo's?

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 06:28:54 PM »

(I can help you with this - if you email me - I'd be more than happy to give some advice). Also - (ask K6UJ) - I can even give you a strategy to work something like PT0S from the West Coast - where EU and NA East Coast kicks the Wests Coasts butt . . . .  (hope you don't mind me mentioning this Bob - hi hi).

Rich,
Dont mind you mentioning it at all.   Since our last email discussing strategy I now have both 40 and 80 in the PT0S log  Cheesy   I have marginal antennas for these bands, the 80 meter contact was really sweet, didn't think I had a chance on 80 from the west coast.

Bob
K6UJ

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: