Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anything Listed in 2013 that You Need For an ATNO?  (Read 4982 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2012, 07:02:49 PM »

Quite a few that I need
Solomon is
Afghanistan
South Cook
Campbell
Temotu
Heard
Chatham
Temotu
Micronesia

You should be able to work South Cook with a few nights of late night listening on 20 meters when the band is open to the Pacific.  Jim, E51JD and Victor, E51USA or E51CG, are both very active stations from South Cook. If we get a late afternoon with decent propagation you could work either on 10 or 15 meters.

I saw some spots for Micronesia very recently.  I'm not sure if the OP is still QRV.  Chatham is another one that is not very hard.

Chris/NU1O
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2012, 07:08:46 PM »

I have just tested ZL, BV, E51, HS, VK9L, V8 - and on 17, 15, 12 ans 10M - and the angle of arrival (take off angle on transmit) varies by the hour. I have never had an antenna system where I could measure this - but I am sooooo excited. The angle changes dramatically from hour to hour - and now I can switch from higher or lower antenna and always nails S9 ++++++ signals.

Rich, how are you able to measure the angle of arrival from hour to hour?

Chris/NU1O
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2012, 07:13:30 PM »

Another goodie just got announced on DX-World.....
XT – Burkina Faso DXpedition.  I need this one for ATNO.

http://dx-world.net/2012/xt-burkina-faso-dxpedition/

I hope more will be announced shortly.

Jonathan W6GX

Were you active with a decent antenna in January of 2011? K3QW was there at that time. Too bad I
only worked him on 20 but he did use LoTW.

Chris/NU1O
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2012, 07:31:10 PM »

2012 has been specatcular.  I went from 288 to 306!  Incredible.

KP1, sad to say but that will take an act of Congress I fear.  Man am I glad I worked them in 1981 and got a card.

A lot of those rocks covered in bird guana won't be active anytime soon...but never say never.

Most interesting are the ones where there are people but a totalitarian state that is unfriendly towards the hobby.  Turkmenistan (was active until recently), E3, Myanmar (slowly opening up, but never thought I would see that), and everybody's favorite...the hermit kingdom of pot-bellied dictators, DPRK/North Korea, P5.  Hey, I got my ticket in 1977 and NEVER thought I would EVER see ZA/Albania on the air.  Times do change, wonders never cease, and the ham spirit lives on.

Now, the other challenge is working these guys.  I never EVER heard a peep out of VU7/Andaman OR Scarborough/BS7H OR the recent Spratly activations.  So it's more than just activity, it's propagation and having a good enough station.

But still, Heard would be ATNO and a sweet one.  I fear that 2012 was a nice but fleeting anomoly for myself and bunch of other DXers.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2012, 07:32:17 PM »

I need Temotu and ZL9HR.  After that (#316 and #317) it will be slow sailing until HR. I think Banaba is not a once every 5 year expedition but I'm not positive about that.  

I have taken off about 15 of my 24 years I have been licensed so I'm very pleased with where I stand. Since I concentrated on DX from the very beginning I'd probably have all worked by now but things come up in life which are much more important than this hobby. The majority of the ham bios I have read typically state the amateur has taken a fairly long break from the hobby. I think that's generally recognized as being true by most.

I need South Georgia and I think somebody was there today but I missed them.  Does anybody know how frequently S. Georgia is activated?  Is it very rare, rare, medium. or usually visited once a year?

Here is my list of needed DXCC entities:

Amsterdam & St. Paul Is.
Auckland & Campbell Is.
Baker & Howland Is.
Banaba I.
Bouvet
Chesterfield Is.
Crozet I.
DPR of Korea
Ducie I.
Eritrea
Heard I.
Kingman Reef
Mellish Reef
Myanmar
Navassa I.
Palmyra & Jarvis Is.
Peter 1 I.
Prince Edward & Marion Is.
Scarborough Reef
South Georgia I.
Temotu Province
Timor - Leste
Tokelau Is.
Tromelin I.
Willis I.

Thanks and 73,

Chris/NU1O

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 07:59:24 PM by NU1O » Logged
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »

Rich/KY6R

1. Nice job at your QTH.  Who says DX is easier on the East Coast?

2. Thanks for being the pilot station for ZL9HR.  We appreciate your volunteering your time to do this important task.

3. I have all wire antennas except for a 2 element hex beam at 40 feet.  I have 500 watts, but that's about all I have in my favor.  Do I even have a prayer?  Is it too late to start making sacrifices to the DX gods?
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2012, 07:57:09 PM »

2012 has been specatcular.  I went from 288 to 306!  Incredible.

It's been a GREAT two years since I got back on the air almost exactly two years ago to today and I have derived a great deal of enjoyment from the hobby which is the raison d'etre, after all. I was at about 265 so I added 50 mostly difficult countries to my total.  So far this year I have added 14 with a chance to add ZL9HR and Temotu.  

The only expedition I could not work in the past 2 years was the one to Timor Leste, 4W?? and if I had the current Skyhawk as opposed to the Cushcraft A3S I think I would've worked them as well.  I'm extremely happy with my accomplishments and the equipment I have added (Elecraft K3, Alpha 8410 amp, Palstar AT5K Transmatch, Bencher Skyhawk, M2 Orion 2800 rotor), I really rebuilt the whole station absent the tower.

This is an excellent group of fine operators and I'm very happy I joined.  I have learned a lot from you guys and I only hope I made some small contributions.

A very Happy Thanksgiving to each and every one of one!!

Chris/NU1O

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2012, 06:26:19 AM »

I have just tested ZL, BV, E51, HS, VK9L, V8 - and on 17, 15, 12 ans 10M - and the angle of arrival (take off angle on transmit) varies by the hour. I have never had an antenna system where I could measure this - but I am sooooo excited. The angle changes dramatically from hour to hour - and now I can switch from higher or lower antenna and always nails S9 ++++++ signals.

Rich, how are you able to measure the angle of arrival from hour to hour?

Chris/NU1O

I switch between 6 different HF antennas that are in different locations and at different heights. I switch between a 40M half square, 15/10M 3 element yagi (4 elements - staggered forward design with sleeve coupling) up 35', the 17M stack with antennas at 27 and 55', and a 12M Moxon up 27'.

Some of these antennas can be used on bands that were were intended for - for instance the stack works much better than I ever expected on 20M.

I designed an built all of these antennas. I have only tested OC-PAC conditions do far, but its been consistent each day - it seems as though I am a "band closer" now - which I have never experienced before.

I was still out back tuning antennas yesterday, but finally finished this month long project.

See QRZ.COM for details and a few new pics.
AA9RN

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2012, 07:46:47 AM »

Well I don't see the only one I need on the list yet.KP1 Navassa.  But I sent a list to Santa and he said he might vacation there and he might operate from there.So thats the only thing I put on my list. Thats the shortest list I ever sent him.LOL
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2012, 08:19:50 AM »

Rich/KY6R

1. Nice job at your QTH.  Who says DX is easier on the East Coast?

2. Thanks for being the pilot station for ZL9HR.  We appreciate your volunteering your time to do this important task.

3. I have all wire antennas except for a 2 element hex beam at 40 feet.  I have 500 watts, but that's about all I have in my favor.  Do I even have a prayer?  Is it too late to start making sacrifices to the DX gods?

I think that you will have a good shot at ZL9HR with a 2 element wire beam and 500 watts. I think you will snag them on 15M and 12M between 2200 - 0200Z. But I would concentrate on CW from your QTH:

http://ky6r.wordpress.com/

Scan down - I cover Raleigh. This is a short path, I don't think going long path will work as well - but you should always rotate your beam just in case - sometimes happy surprises happen. VOACAP says LP from your state won't be very good at all - almost zilch.

I know from the West Coast - LP to ZL is  a non starter.

Also - look at the "azimuthal" centered map on the ZL9HR web site - you will then see what your path looks like as far as what countries and other hams that you will be competing with.

Even if an LP path opened up - you would be then trying to compete with some EU, ME and AF stations along their SP path.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 08:33:12 AM by KY6R » Logged
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2012, 10:27:18 AM »

Rich-

You just described my new 15M antenna.  Last month I put up a 2 ele inverted V array, fed with 3/8 w/l (+ an extra 1/2 wl to reach the ground-mounted DxE antenna switch) coax ... Inspired by your K1WA array.... Aimed EU/VK.

It's nice to finally have directivity and (some) F/B.  Actually its F/B seems better than my 2 ele 20M phased array.

ZL9 will be the big test and the official shake down will be CQWW this weekend!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Frank, W1NK
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2012, 12:37:16 PM »

Rich-

You just described my new 15M antenna.  Last month I put up a 2 ele inverted V array, fed with 3/8 w/l (+ an extra 1/2 wl to reach the ground-mounted DxE antenna switch) coax ... Inspired by your K1WA array.... Aimed EU/VK.

It's nice to finally have directivity and (some) F/B.  Actually its F/B seems better than my 2 ele 20M phased array.

ZL9 will be the big test and the official shake down will be CQWW this weekend!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Frank, W1NK

You should work them on 15M CW with that antenna. I've been talking to Tom, N6BT recently, and he reminded me that the first two elements in any well designed yagi (correct boom length and element spacing) give you the lions share of the gain. You get 4.1 dBd - perhaps a little more with 2 elements. You only add 1dBd per well spaced additional element, and then the boom length has to become quite large.

Two element yagi's are by far, the best bang for the buck.

Stack two of them and you get the equivalent of a 5 or 6 element long boom monobander!

Yes - that K1WA array works very well, and I have always liked switching way more than rotatating.

73 - and Happy Thanksgiving!
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2012, 08:47:40 PM »

Quite a few that I need
Solomon is
Afghanistan
South Cook
Campbell
Temotu
Heard
Chatham
Temotu
Micronesia

You should be able to work South Cook with a few nights of late night listening on 20 meters when the band is open to the Pacific.  Jim, E51JD and Victor, E51USA or E51CG, are both very active stations from South Cook. If we get a late afternoon with decent propagation you could work either on 10 or 15 meters.

I saw some spots for Micronesia very recently.  I'm not sure if the OP is still QRV.  Chatham is another one that is not very hard.

Chris/NU1O

Ok I think I'm a bit mistaken.

I actually have South Cook on 10 and 20 - E51CG, E51SC and E51JD. In fact I think CG called me while I was operating CQWW.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2012, 09:02:45 PM »

Actually I need E5/N not E5/S. From what I understand E5/S is activated regularly but not E5/N.

Yeah, North Cooks is not all that common, although there were two long activations in the past 12 months, both begging after the first couple of days. Until your app is ready, just get ve7cc's app and set email alarms and audio alarms. Can't tell you the number of times those have helped me get new bands/modes.

VE7CC is android only.

My app will be ready in the next few months. Meanwhile I am relying on filters from DXWatch delivered via email.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2012, 07:26:38 AM »

You don't have an actual Windows machine in the shack? Run ve7cc on it and let it send you the emails. CC's so magnificently customizable in what it will alarm for and how. For example, take PT0S. I needed them on 5 bands, so I customized a filter for PT0S to email me and sound an audible alarm. When I'd worked them on 4 of the 5 bands but still needed 160, I set up a SECOND PT0S alarm that would email me for 160, meanwhile changing the original one to just sound an audible alarm (but no email) when new greenies showed up. It truly is an amazing piece of software. I keep CC running 24/7, and I can connect every logger through it as well. For mobile use, yeah, I'm looking forward to your app, that's for sure.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: