Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PT0S team, thanks for doing a fantastic operation!!!!  (Read 1917 times)
AJ4RW

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2012, 01:10:56 PM »

I made a new topic just because I didn’t want what I had to say to get buried in the other topic.

I’m pissed.  I’m tired of all this complaining by the CB’ers (Chronic Bitchers).  The PT0S team has performed an extraordinary feat just by activating St. Peter and St. Paul Rocks for the masses of amateur radio operators and then has to put with this crap.  Either a bunch is complaining on the cluster or they complain to the PT0S team themselves.  I just read the latest on the DX World website and I almost had a cow.  Maybe I’m taking this the wrong way but that’s the way it’s presented to me.  If anyone thinks they can do it better, then go ahead and do it instead of talking about it!!!
The hardships these guys are enduring is bad enough just to make sure you get another new DXCC entity.  If you don’t like the way it’s run, then spin the dial and don’t work them!  Unfortunately the complainers work them and then complain about it.  Ungrateful bas__rds!

Thanks for the great operation PT0S de Randy AJ4RW Angry
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 01:39:13 PM »

Well Said Randy.  I dont know anyone who could have done any better than these four guys.  George and Tomi are old hands at this stuff, and used to being in desolate places, just the two of them. Being used to "Roughing it" does not make this one easier tho!
The two other ops are doing a great job as well. I am certain that George will have nothing but praise for the entire crew when they get back to Brazil. I doubt any of the gripers could handle a couple days in that place, much less put PT0S on the air for all.
A big THANKS from AF3Y as well Cool.

73, Gene AF3Y
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 01:59:27 PM »

I agree Randy. there's certainly a bunch of pathetic people out there! A bunch of losers!

I haven't worked them yet (and may not) but the PT0S team has done an outstanding job under circumstances I can't even imagine. THANK YOU PT0S TEAM!

- NU4B
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 02:07:40 PM »

And as promised they have uploaded to LoTW already. Wow!
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »

I didn't get a chance to work them, maybe next time but they endured many hardships so they deserve lots of credit.  Good luck and have a safe journey home.

73 and Aloha,

Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 05:32:14 PM »

I didn't get a chance to work them, maybe next time but they endured many hardships so they deserve lots of credit.  Good luck and have a safe journey home.

73 and Aloha,

Delwyn KH6DC

They are still there
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 05:40:07 PM »

I could not hear them well for whatever reason. Do not know why. Are they done?
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 06:38:54 PM »

I could not hear them well for whatever reason. Do not know why. Are they done?
Nope, they're still on, but they're being heavily QRMed. On CW, they're the fastest and smoothest ones. I haven't tried SSB.

A note from the website. They are even accepting the catcalls with grace and class.
Quote from: AA7JV
An Expedition Poorly Planned (?) (11-20-2012 from AA7JV)

Nov 20, 2012, SPSP

The weather is nice today, and the waves are smaller too. We continue experiencing issues with antennas: anything exposed here gets smashed, flooded or dragged away. We have located our TX antennas close to the water and are paying the price (and hopefully reaping some benefits). Because we could not land on a remote rock we had to locate our RX antennas on the highest part of the rock, near the light, and can not move the TX antennas there. We just simply continue maintaining and strengthening the existing antennas.

Some have commented that this is a poorly planned operation. This is a fact: most of our plans went out the window the day we landed. We had to improvise because things have changed since our July survey trip. We ended up with a totally different basing, antenna and operating plan. To begin with, we had to share the space of about 3 x 5 meters with with a dive team, who used it for most of their dive gear and cameras. Dive gear dripping salt-water is not good company to sensitive radio gear! Operating while somebody is hanging wet-suits right next you is uncomfortable to say the least. Because of the lack of space, we located one of the stations and most of our gear outside. (Later, when the dive team left and the navy team arrived, we gained the entire space, but we had to move the outside station and all our gear inside. Some of us also sleep there on a folding chair.) The 160 - 10 vertical ended up on a high point of a rocky outcropping: the original location was regularly inundated by huge waves at high tide. We ended up installing our 80 - 10 m vertical in a shallow "crater" instead of the planned tip of a dock. (The dock was being used by research divers). By the way, the antenna in the crater gets out very well, as the bottom is always covered by 10 to 20 cm of salt water. We cannibalized our Garden Beam Yagi for materials for the 10 m vertical, as the place it was planned to be installed, is now being worked on by a Brazilian Navy construction crew. Instead of being able to locate our RX antennas on the remote rock of Cabral (where I had no problem landing in July) we had to locate our RX antennas on top of Belmonte, Cabral being pounded by 5 meter waves, that often was over it, around the clock.

Our current operations are strongly influenced by the need to work around the local RF noise, the very limited space and the need to continuously repair antennas. Also, because the Internet service of the research station, which we were planning to rely on, is down, we have to spend 3 to 4 hours every day to get the logs uploaded through a 2.4 kbps, low availability satellite link. (One of those LEO-s!) On the other hand, we have two stations on the air virtually all the time, while a 10 and 6 meter station is on the air about 12 hours a day. We now have over 30,000 QSO-s in the log, including 2400 on 160 and 800 on 6. Please keep in mind: there are only the four of us!

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 07:40:07 PM »

Most of you who hang around this forum know by now that I never ever pull my punches when it comes to pointing out problems that plague even the best DXpeditions. I love the good and emphasize ways the rough spots could have been managed better. I've done it for every significant operation.

Guess what. I've got nothing negative to say about George, Tomi and the other two ops. Not one thing. They did everything I would have done and better. By far. In reading about their living conditions it amazes me what they've been able to accomplish especially in light of the insane level of malicious QRM emanating from all over the globe. My hat is off to everyone involved at every level. I'm sitting here smoking my pipe listening to a nice orderly progression of QSOs on Topband tonight and I just finished reading their latest missive from the rocks. I had the good fortune to meet up with George and Tomi in Friedrichshafen last year and that's where I first learned of this potential activation. Their excitement was palpabale even before they knew they could get the OK from the Brazilian officials.

OK, OK. One bad thing to say....none of my LoTW hits have showed up yet, and we know whose fault that is Cheesy And yes, I can wait--although I did make one insurance QSO--and only one--on 160m tonight, just to be 100% sure since my first one was ESP.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 01:56:31 PM »

Peter, W2IRT, that was a classy post.  You've said it all.  PT0S is doing a superb job, and I know everyone wishes them continued success as the expedition proceeds and, above all, a safe journey home.   
Chuck  NI0C
K8ALM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 02:10:05 PM »

When I read that they were sleeping in folding chairs and sharing their "shack" with divers and military construction workers I was really impressed.  Hats off to these folks for a great job under a much less than ideal situation.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 02:12:11 PM by K8ALM » Logged
VE3YF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 03:43:34 PM »

Hi:

I must agree. I think the foursome are doing an outstanding job. This is definately no hotel type operation. With only 4 amateurs keeping 3 stations on the air, sleep definately will become an issue, constant maint due to weather conditions, terrain issies......They have all overcome these issues, well maybe a bit more sleep is required...

Ref all the comments directed at them from both on air and cluster spots, perhaps these complainers feel that they could do better, but they will never step up to the plate. You will never please everyone all the time, some will always have a complaint.

My only complaint is....... to those who constantly cause QRM on the PT0S QRG, cause either they cant work em or they are just bored...

To the crew of PT0S, My hats off, outstanding job.....Safe trip back home...Job well done..

73 De Mike
VE3YF
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 05:10:44 PM »

I appreciate their efforts as well. Reading their updates about conditions on that rocky outcropping as I listen to them in my comfy shack makes me realize the extent of the contrast between them and us and what they went through to activate what was for me a New One.

Thanks a million, guys!

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 07:35:42 PM »

PT0S is one FANTASTIC crew - tops in professionalism, skill, endurance!  One of the best DXPeditions of the past several years, given the condx.  GL and thanks for new band fills.

73, Rich, K3VAT
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 08:00:51 PM »

These ops have gone through hell and high water (literally).  Swains had some serious challenges (heat, personal injuries).  Those guys were committed to success also.

I still have the pic of one of the ops from BS7H in 2007, sitting on a 4x4 plywood platform on top of a small piece of coral surrounded by ocean.  Underneath the pic on the wall of my shack, I posted "what are YOU willing to do to accomplish the mission?"  And these guys PAID THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS TO GO THROUGH THAT TRIAL AND TRIBULATION.  Now THAT is SERIOUS COMMITMENT. 

Same with PT0S.  I shared the details with my XYL on what George and team are going through.  "Are the crazy?" she asked?  Nope, I replied.  Just dedicated to DXing.  As soon as I said "DX" she grasped it because she knows about that weird and magical acronym: DX, an affliction of the mind that happens to ham operators, makes them do things like PT0S/NH8S/BS7H DXpeditions, go without sleep or food while chasing ATNO, erect (or fix) antennas in adverse weather conditions, adjust lifestyle and plan around events like DXpeditions or DX contests, etc.  My XYL does not UNDERSTAND DX, but she does comprehend the impact of it.  DX IS!

PT0S team, we are eternally grateful and in awe of your achievements.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: