Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TK-2207G  (Read 6346 times)
WQCC256

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2012, 03:57:56 PM »

I'm looking for a cheap, rugged and reliable 2M to throw in my pack for the backcountry.  I don't see much on this radio.  I'm wondering if anyone uses it , and if it will do CTCSS?  I don't see it mentioned in the specs here, although it might be that all Kenwood 2M radios support it.

They go for about $68 shipped on eBay.

here are the features/ specs:
http://vn.kenwood.com/products/com/lmr/tk-2207_3207/features.html
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:21:48 PM »

It does have CTCSS: http://www.tradezz.com/buy_8769990_Kenwood-TK-2207G.htm
WQCC256

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 11:05:26 AM »

Hey guys,

I picked up this radio, and it sounds like I'm talking through a sock or something.  Very muffled transmit only audio.  Anything I can do about this short of getting a speaker mic?  Is this common? My other handheld does not have this problem.  Should be very similar to a US TK-2202, I think.  It's almost like something is covering the microphone hole, but there is nothing visible.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:14:28 AM by WQCC256 » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 03:53:56 AM »

I picked up this radio, and it sounds like I'm talking through a sock or something.  Very muffled transmit only audio.  Anything I can do about this short of getting a speaker mic?  Is this common? My other handheld does not have this problem.  Should be very similar to a US TK-2202, I think.  It's almost like something is covering the microphone hole, but there is nothing visible.

It's Chinese made.  Explains a lot.  Even though it may not look it the mic is probably a small button type that is glued into the case--or is on the circuit board away from the front of the radio.  It probably has a bit of cloth covering it too.  

Sorry to say that it's probably as good as its going to get.  After all, you get what you pay for.  You may want to get the speaker mike since its probably the only way to make it sound better.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:56:56 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 04:44:30 AM »

There are conflicting reports in the internet about fake TK-2207 radios that in fact com from China.
WQCC256

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 05:29:01 AM »

I saw those notes after I bought it.  It could be the knock off.    Also to mention, this is allegedly made in Singapore although bought from a Chinese seller.   The seller was e-star365.

The charger, radio itself and battery (KNB-29N) came in what appear to be Kenwood boxes.  EDIT: Just noticed the SN on the radio does not match the SN on the box.

The url I'm seeing (http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/apos-FAKE-apos-IMPORTED-TK-2207-TK-3207-KENWOOD-RADIO?ugid=10000000011089998) says "The CTCSS systems do not work so they transmit on the exact frequency set. ".  My CTCSS works fine, although I can't seem to get PF2 (2nd button) to program (?).  

EDIT: looks like there is an update that CTCSS does work on the fakes: http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/More-on-Fake-Kenwood-TK2207-3207?ugid=10000000001469835

So frequency and CTCSS programming seems to work with KPG-87D.  I can't seem to get "Radio Information" within KPG-87D "Check all connections and communication port settings", but I can read and write without a problem.  Sounding more and more like the fake  Grin
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:34:53 AM by WQCC256 » Logged
WQCC256

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 12:34:37 PM »

I talked to some of the guys who posted the warnings on eBay about these radios.  One guy bought a bunch of these and had luck by opening up the mic hole and removing the microphone cover.  I decided to open up the radio and do the same.    I tried 1 - opening the hole up and 2 - removing the microphone cover which is a sort of rubber cover with a small opening in the middle of it.  Neither of these helped at all.  The audio is very muffled still.    The seller has agreed to send me another body for a minimal cost that we're going to try.

Another problem is putting the chassis back in the case.  It is rather difficult to get the buttons to line up properly for some reason and I managed to rip the speaker leads off the PCB, so I wouldn't recommend it unless absolutely necessary.  Entirely fixable, but more hassle than it is worth.

Overall, I would recommend that if you're looking for good audio out of this radio, an external mic may be necessary.  The problem is that I want this radio to be easy to use, small form, and water resistant.  So I will check the next unit to see if the audio is better... if not I will tolerate the muffled audio in exchange for it's water resistance and portability.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: