Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: simple to install amplifier  (Read 1636 times)
KE7RNK

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2012, 05:20:01 PM »

Hi all. Plan on getting an amp for xmas thru my xyl. There is so much info out there, it is difficult to decide.Have yaesuft 3000 and butternut 9 band verticle currently. Any thoughts on simple to install amps such as Toyko,ameritro, yaesu ect. Thanks for the time.--
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 06:46:23 PM »

I have had several amplifiers both tube and solid state. I recommend the AL-811 if you don't want to spend a lot of money. Or the AL-80B for a more reliable tube and a bit more power. Or an ALS-600 if you want the reliability of solid state. I presently run an ALS-600 and it couldn't be easier to use (as long as the VSWR is 1.5:1 or less).
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 07:18:49 PM »

AL-811H, AL-80B would be two good amps to look at. Either of them will work fine on your setup. Both of them have tubes for finals.

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
KB5UBI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 10:32:30 PM »

AL-811H, AL-80B would be two good amps to look at. Either of them will work fine on your setup. Both of them have tubes for finals.

Pretty good advise. Get the Yaesu Linear cable when you order the Linear for an easy hook-up. Enjoy.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 01:24:19 PM »

Pretty good advise. Get the Yaesu Linear cable when you order the Linear for an easy hook-up. Enjoy.

I would not waste money on  811H as it is at most 1db over the base 811. It also shares same power supply as base amp.  The smart money would be on a AL80B as is a true solid 800+ watt amp.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 08:05:08 AM »

Hi all. Plan on getting an amp for xmas thru my xyl. There is so much info out there, it is difficult to decide.Have yaesuft 3000 and butternut 9 band verticle currently. Any thoughts on simple to install amps such as Toyko,ameritro, yaesu ect. Thanks for the time.--

They're all "easy to install."  The difference is how easy they are to operate.  An amp rated 1kW output or more is best used with a 240V AC mains; if you don't have that available at your operating position, you'd probably be better off with a somewhat lower powered amplifier.  The big "legal limit" (1500W output) amps all require 240V, and many are equipped only for that and no provision for 120V operation.

Most tube amps require manual "tuning up," while the solid state amplifiers do not; however most SS amps require a closely matched antenna systems, while the manually tuned tube amps are much more tolerant of a mismatch.
KB5UBI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 11:21:16 AM »

"I would not waste money on  811H as it is at most 1db over the base 811. It also shares same power supply as base amp.  The smart money would be on a AL80B as is a true solid 800+ watt amp."

I'm glad someone else stated the obvious. I was reluctant in bringing it up because the last time, I was barraged by critique.

The 3 tube AL-811 actually has it's grids truly grounded and is not taxing it's power supply like the 4 tube version. The first 400 watts is the most important. After that 1600 is one more "S" unit. I ended up going with the AL-80B because of the metering, soft start and better tube. Another half of an "S" unit was not a motivating issue.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 11:25:13 AM by KB5UBI » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: