Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Totally stressed out by a DXpedition?  (Read 4799 times)
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 10:10:27 AM »

It seems a good number of ops will be stressing over finding out they didn't work PT0S on 28051.8 today where they really worked 6V7V.  Yes, 6V7V was ID'ing.....even really slow at times.....and the pile raged on!
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 12:38:21 PM »

I never stress about these things. I can be totally calm under pressure, which is something I need for my daily life and my career.

In the end "it's just a hobby" anyway.
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 02:23:11 PM »

I also understand that there are limitations - I don't have the perfect location or station - but I like what I have very much. Its not a great QTH for DX-ing, but fantastic for cycling, and I lost 30 pounds this year - which is way more important than DX-ing anyway.

That is part of my problem-cycling is a big hobby of mine also.  Hard to find time for chasing DX and cycling as well. Lost about 20 pounds myself this year, but some of it has crept back on once the fall DX conditions hit, and I was showing signs of overtraining from the exercise bike and running so had to back off of that a little Sad

John AF5CC
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 04:05:47 PM »

Did work EL2MF yesterday for a new 12m country, and 5B4AJC today for a new one on 30m, so everything hasn't been lost in the past few days.  Usually new band countries are better than a new mode country, except when it is one needed on CW.  Getting another one for the 2012 marathon would be nice also.  Might have to not track stuff for the 2013 marathon.

Wish I could afford a beam again, but money is pretty tight right now.  Have no real desire for an amp at this time.  Did 320 countries with 100 watts.  The money would be better spent on antennas than an amp anyways.

John AF5CC
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 08:02:21 PM »

I also understand that there are limitations - I don't have the perfect location or station - but I like what I have very much. Its not a great QTH for DX-ing, but fantastic for cycling, and I lost 30 pounds this year - which is way more important than DX-ing anyway.

That is part of my problem-cycling is a big hobby of mine also.  Hard to find time for chasing DX and cycling as well. Lost about 20 pounds myself this year, but some of it has crept back on once the fall DX conditions hit, and I was showing signs of overtraining from the exercise bike and running so had to back off of that a little Sad

John AF5CC

John and Rich,

I didn't realize there were other cycling DXers on board.  Cheesy  I also am a cyclist, enjoy the great rides here in northern cal. I enjoy building up and riding road bikes, just finished outfitting a Carbon Fiber Trek Madone frame I bought with all Campy gear and it really rides sweet.  I have a goal (besides making HR  Grin) to ride my first century.  This summer I did an 80 miler which is my record so far. I have been able to keep my weight in check and my sanity too, hihi, thanks to cycling. Dont want to get too carried away with cycling here, just wanted to throw in my two cents. Its great to hear there are other Ham Radio cyclists around.

Bob
K6UJ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 10:52:49 PM »

John AF5CC

John and Rich,

I didn't realize there were other cycling DXers on board.  Cheesy  I also am a cyclist, enjoy the great rides here in northern cal. I enjoy building up and riding road bikes, just finished outfitting a Carbon Fiber Trek Madone frame I bought with all Campy gear and it really rides sweet.  I have a goal (besides making HR  Grin) to ride my first century.  This summer I did an 80 miler which is my record so far. I have been able to keep my weight in check and my sanity too, hihi, thanks to cycling. Dont want to get too carried away with cycling here, just wanted to throw in my two cents. Its great to hear there are other Ham Radio cyclists around.

Bob
K6UJ

You could add me to the cycling ham list.  Here's a tip for those cycling hams looking to further improve their fitness.  While cycling I carry my smartphone loaded with DX Hunter (http://www.michiv.de/dxhunter/).  When I hear it go off it means that I have an ATNO being spotted by a NA station.  Not wanting to miss the action I would pedal harder.  You would be surprised at how hard you could pedal when there's an ATNO waiting for you  Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 04:19:19 AM »

I also cycle. Unfortunately this past summer was my worst in many years for riding. And I'm feeling it. Hopefully staring next spring I'll be able to ride more than I have this past summer. I guess as the sunspots went up, my bike rides went down.  Grin I just need to plan better.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 04:47:57 AM »

Wow - this forum is full of cycling DX-ers. Very cool. And the weight I put on from sitting too much in front of the radio also came off from cycling. W6GX - now that's funny. I have pedaled extra hard to get back to work DX too.

N6UJ - Bob, I used to ride metric centuries - in the SF Bay Area:

The Top Hat
Grizzly Peak
Marin Century
Holstein 100

And I used to ride mountain bikes at Mt. Tam, Mt. Diablo, Nicene Marks and Wilder Ranch. My QRZ.COM bio picture was taken at Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz - one of my favorite places.

I've slowed down a bit and ride 100 miles a week - 5 times 20 miles - but I do it as much as a sprint as I can. I have always ridden Cannondales - R5000, Scalpel, CX9 Cyclocross.

W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 05:48:33 AM »

Does a Schwinn Town and Country Tricycle count as an exercise bike?  My wife and I got trikes for sightseeing--we went to Cape Cod and Block Island this year.  It is a little heavy, but I seem to go up hills just fine.  Grin
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 06:35:22 AM »

Great to see all of the cyclers on here. Done a few centuries myself-Apple Cider Century in Michigan, Hotter than Hell Hundred in Texas, TOMROV in Iowa, and did the ride across Illinois.  These were all back in Grad school when I had much more time due to no XYL or daughter.  Still do bike to work each day. Hoping to go bicycle mobile sooner or later.  Need funds for a FT817.  So far only do bike mobile with an HT.  Check out W9XS on QRZ.COM for a serious bike mobile setup.  I have worked him twice on 20m.

John AF5CC
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 03:51:43 PM »

If you are really getting stressed out because you did not work PT0S on CW even though you already have SPSP confirmed on SSB and RTTY I would say you are getting too wrapped up in this hobby and instead of a relief from the stresses of daily life this is actually causing you added stress.

It's time to reevaluate the hobby my friend. I think you are much too invested in the DXCC count which many hams do not even pay attention to. 

Chris,

That is good advice.  Decided to reevaluate some things this afternoon after spending too much time on the CQWW contest.  I should be grateful that I have PY0S confirmed on 2 bands and modes, and I have ZL9 confirmed on 20m CW already, so need to keep that in perspective.

Decided to delete my scoresheet for the 2012 DX marathon.  Don't need the stress of keeping that score as well.  So it is gone and already out of the recycle bin.  Same thing for the log I was keeping for the CQWW contest.  To quote Black Sabbath "It seems like desperate measures but sometimes it has to be done."

Nice to work you last weekend in the SSB SS.  I was running from the minivan in the parking lot of Olympic Gold Gymnastics in Clinton, OK where my daughter was doing a meet.

Now to get on the exercise cycle and hit the cycling again!

John AF5CC
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 08:32:22 PM »

Thanks, OM's.  You just saved me a TON of stress and anxiety as I was considering the DX Marathon for 2013.  I read Bob Locher's book on his 2007 quest, and I was hesitant.  Now I won't bother, as I need to get some balance and perspective.  Seriously.  I am taking this hobby thing way to far.  Need to get back into rag chewing and some digital experimentation and take an occasional break from the DX hunt.
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 09:03:03 PM »

How was Bob's 2007 book?  I loved "The Complete DXer" but it does show how serious DXing has to be a life's dedication.  It sure is hard to make that dedication when you have a family to raise, job, etc.  I have read lots of ham bios where they said they were QRT during the family/work years.  I can be thankful that my situation hasn't reached that point.

John AF5CC
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 09:55:59 PM »

It's usually the same cycle for me as a ATNO comes on the air. It's a major source of stress to get them in the log the first time. If the pileups are big such as PT0S was, there are many hours spent trying and trying.. getting up at odd hours of the night or sitting there for hours at a time during the day chasing them around as they change bands. I begin to think is it really worth it? I also wonder if I'll ever work them or get through these pileups. Then, when I think it's never going to happen.. I hear my call come back. I breath a sigh of relief. A huge weight lifted off my chest... heh until the next ATNO comes along..  Roll Eyes

Oddly enough, the next QSO's with the station come a bit easier..

It's a cycle that repeates itself over and over. I'm creeping slowly towards 300..
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2012, 07:21:23 AM »

My competitive hobby is growing roses for exhibition.  Just got a lot of exercise raking leaves--will grind them up to make leaf compost for the roses.  I got into a minor disagreement with my cardiologist about the exercise you growing roses in gardening--I got a ton of exercise this past year taking out tree stumps with an ax--after an hour I can fill a 3 gallon bucket with wood chips.  Seems like every time I decide to start a new flower bed, I find another tree stump!

Did OK this year DXing and showing roses--not as many trophies, but I did take Queen and King HT of show at the Rhode Island rose show--the top two prizes Grin
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: