Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just getting into HAM - purchased an Arrow-II 146/437-10WBP  (Read 4497 times)
KD0TLI

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2012, 08:48:31 PM »

I purchased an Arrow-II 146/437-10WBP antenna, and a Baofeng UV-5RA and I'd like to give sat's a go.

One question I have is I've never seen/heard anyone talk about checking SWR / Resonance on V/UHF.
I'm sure its an issue just as it is with all bands but, just curious if/how.

I see people swapping antenna's on HT's all the time, but nobody mentions SWR tuning in the process.

Thanks, and 73's -  KD0TLI
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 08:19:38 AM »

I have a Diamond SX40C Power/SWR meter. It's range is 144-470MHz, according to the label on the bottom. For Yagi antennas like yours you should have no problem reading reasonably accurate SWR using it. However if you try to use it with a "rubber duck" style antenna you likely won't get a real number, mostly due to the fact that radio-mounted antennas depend on your arm as a ground plane, unless you add a "tiger tail" counterpoise (or install a 1/2 wave antenna). I guess if you put an SMA panel mount on an aluminum plate and attached some ground wires you could get a true reading, but might be more trouble than it's worth.

But most HTs can handle a wide range of reflections without having any problems. Many all mode radios like the FT897 and FT817 have built in SWR meters, but also won't tolerate a poor antenna match.
KD0TLI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 06:34:49 PM »

Is the ability of the HT's to tolerate a variety of antenna's predicated on the fact they are such low power ?
W5PFG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 06:49:29 PM »

Is the ability of the HT's to tolerate a variety of antenna's predicated on the fact they are such low power ?

This is a good question.  It is just as important to check SWR on VHF/UHF as it is on any other set of bands.  You want the best match you can reasonably attain.  Too much of a mismatch can result in lower power being emitted...or worse -- damage to your transmitter. 

On handhelds, people generally don't do much testing.  They probably should.  A decent SWR/power meter should work for you at lower HT output power just as well as 50 watts.   

Good luck with your Baofeng and SO-50.  It is do-able and a lot of fun.  Do yourself a favor and get a second radio to act as your receiver, so that you can be full-duplex.  It will help, immensely! 
N6JSX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 11:23:32 AM »

You sure have not looked very far on this board...... or is just fishing?

Arrow-II 146/437-10WBP : test data

N1KCG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 03:06:03 AM »

read the old post about the signal quality and see that the only problem was a bad construction of a mixing circuit.  the antenna seems to work fine.

KD0TLI - can we get a followup on success or failure of this attempt?
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 07:44:12 PM »

>> ...  I've never seen/heard anyone talk about checking SWR / Resonance on V/UHF ...

In my firsthand experience, this topic is a case of, "Hey, it works extraordinarily well, WHY put it on a meter?"

(grin)

You are experiencing the same phenomenon, I am sure (assuming the antenna is properly assembled, and the coax
and diplexer are fine). Using a "lesser" antenna, you can find a station/repeater that't just "on the edge" of being able to work.
But switch to the Arrow, and you can turn down the power output to successfully work it.

The numbers are out there as far as test measurements are concerned. ut it just WORKS!

Clint Bradford K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
909-241-7666 - cell

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: