Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RU running EZNEC 5.0 under WINE?  (Read 3348 times)
W0BTU

Ignore
« on: November 22, 2012, 12:10:24 PM »

I'm running Xubuntu 12.04 LTS with the XFCE desktop. I can get the demo version of EZNEC 5.0 (downloaded from eznec.com) to run fine under WINE 1.4, but not the paid version of EZNEC+ 5.0 I bought. The paid version installs, but after the splash screen appears I get an error dialog. Something about file corruption and the need to install it from the original CD-ROM (which I did.)

I can't even run it under Windows XP Pro inside Virtualbox. Same error dialog appears.

EZNEC+ 5.0 runs fine on two other Windows PCs I have here in the house (XP and Win7). But not on my Linux machine in the ham shack. :-(

If you have and suggestions, or have succeeded in doing this, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 07:28:07 PM »

Mike,

I'm using Linux mint 13...a Debian/Ubuntu derivative...with Windows XP in VirtualBox. I did install the Guest Additions from the Oracle website. I installed the EZNEC 5.0 version that comes with the ARRL Antenna Handbook 2012. It installed fine and runs fine (e.g., I've not run into any problems yet).

Just a thought: have you considered updating to Ubuntu 12.10 and the VB version that is in the package repository? I don't have any specific reason to believe that this will solve your problem but its worth a shot. Also, make sure your RAM allocation to XP is 4GB if available on your Linux machine.

Frank
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 01:04:40 PM »

Check the file structure produced by the install under wine.  Compare with working Windoze PCs you have.  Maybe a file is missing.
This sounds likely because of the install from original CD message.

Many problems with Wine involve DLLs and overrides.  Refer to Wine documents for explaination.

To trouble shoot problems with Wine / Windows it many times helps to execute the program from the command line under Wine.  You can type Wine <program name> and the program will produce output to the std err (which is the terminal window)  Look for missing DLLs or DLLs you need to steal or override from windows.  When executing from Wine from terminal, be sure to get the complete path correct or change directories until you are in the wine Cdrive programs/... etc.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 05:25:19 PM »

I'm running Xubuntu 12.04 LTS with the XFCE desktop. I can get the demo version of EZNEC 5.0 (downloaded from eznec.com) to run fine under WINE 1.4, but not the paid version of EZNEC+ 5.0 I bought. The paid version installs, but after the splash screen appears I get an error dialog. Something about file corruption and the need to install it from the original CD-ROM (which I did.)

I can't even run it under Windows XP Pro inside Virtualbox. Same error dialog appears.

EZNEC+ 5.0 runs fine on two other Windows PCs I have here in the house (XP and Win7). But not on my Linux machine in the ham shack. :-(

If you have and suggestions, or have succeeded in doing this, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Why not use Virtualbox?  Works well for ANYTHING that runs under Windows...

73's

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 10:32:40 AM »

I appreciate the fine suggestions. Thanks very much!

I would rather not upgrade to 12.10. Staying with an LTS version has certain advantages. (Long story).

I think I know why it didn't work in XP running under Virtualbox: I didn't disable the antivirus software (MSE) during installation. I had to do that on a Windows XP-only machine running Norton when I first purchased the software from Roy.

Since the last post where I said the demo version ran fine under WINE, I found a problem. Plotting an SWR curve sometimes causes a run-time crash.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: