Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running 2nd Computer Monitor Simultaneously ?  (Read 1079 times)
VA3UTC

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2012, 10:50:49 AM »

In my ham shack my computer setup is several feet away from my ham setup and rather than buy another computer for my usage when I'm on the radio, it would be great if I could link a second monitor to the first. I already have a wireless mouse & keyboard so that wouldn't be an issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 11:52:44 AM »

This is very easily done if you're up to date on your computer.

What you want is a dual-head video card and a pair of monitors to match the interface cable. Typical cable is a Y adapter with HDMI plugs on each end. The video driver can be configured for widescreen across the two monitors and the advantage of that is in running two programs full screen simultaneously........ One (or more) program per monitor. Or, you can set the driver to emulate one screen video where both monitors display the same screen. Which is what you're interested in.

Do some research into dual-head video cards and you'll find many to choose from.

Never change a password on a Friday                
VA3UTC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 01:17:10 PM »

Thank you so much for your advice. I didn't know if it was possible to view two computers from the same CPU. I will take advantage of this new information with the help of my local electronics shop.

W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 11:15:52 PM »

Many laptops and a lot of the recent desktop models have a video jack for a second monitor. Assuming you're using Windows or MAC OS, you can find the setup options either in control panel or preferences.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4809482_hook-up-second-monitor-laptop.html
gives quick-and-dirty instructions. GL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: