Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZL9HR - Campbell Island Last Update before sailing  (Read 9997 times)
K5GS

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2012, 06:38:09 PM »

Sunday, November 25, 2012
Invercargill, New Zealand

The ZL9HR team has arrived and is prepared to depart on Monday morning. The team was warmly greeted by the local ZL hams who hosted lunch and dinners along the way.

The NZ Department of Conservation (DoC) briefings and quarantine inspection processes began with the transfer of all the equipment to the inspection / quarantine station. The bulk of our equipment was inspected on Saturday morning, all passed with no exceptions. DoC management said everything was in good order. A process that normally takes all day was completed in less than 3 hours even though items were repackaged in plastic bags / wrapped in plastic sheets, or placed in bins. Cardboard is not permitted on the island so new items like antennas were repackaged. The team then went off to fill the 55 petrol containers and return them to our transport vendor, Lindsey Carrying.

Invercargill weather has been unusually warm and even sunny on some days, with rain on others.  Weather reports on Campbell Island show temperatures ranging between 6c and 9c (43f ­ 48f) with winds up to 45 km/h (27 mph).  Rain is in the forecast for each day for the forecast period; all not unexpected. The boat returned from Auckland Island 2 days ago where a team was conducting an inventory of penguins.

Today we’re doing last minute shopping for items missed or misplaced and will buy snacks and other goodies not supplied in our contract with the boat.

We are all excited about the departure planned for mid day Monday, Nov. 26th. Once underway there will be no Internet access. On the island we will communicate with the designated Pilot stations and upload load photos via satellite phone. We will not be reading blogs, reflectors or personal e-mail. If you have suggestions or complaints please e-mail your region’s designated Pilot station.

Good luck to all we'll see you in the pile-ups!

The ZL9HR team
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 06:45:53 PM »

Oh No........ They conducted A "Penguin Inventory"??  For God's sake, lets hope they did not mis-count and show one too many.  If they have a re-count and come up one short, they will punish the entire team.  

Only JOKING guys Grin. Godspeed, smooth seas and fairwinds and here's to a successful expedition, with NO QRM (Well, I can wish, cant I Huh).

Glad you spelled out that Dept of CONSERVATION.  Around here DOC stands for Dept. of CORRECTIONS. (However, I dont think many who "visit" come out "corrected". Roll Eyes )

73, Gene AF3Y

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 06:49:38 PM by AF3Y » Logged
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 07:02:03 PM »

Congrats on making it through quarantine with flying colors and wishing you calm seas and safe travels!

Rich
KY6R
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 07:07:30 PM »

I wish them the best.

Rich- do you know how often the online logs will be updated?  I hope they are not using a satellite phone for internet access.

Jonathan W6GX
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 07:12:49 PM »

I wish them the best.

Rich- do you know how often the online logs will be updated?  I hope they are not using a satellite phone for internet access.

Jonathan W6GX

They are using a satellite connection - and I will update you and let you all know what the schedule for log uploads is once they get settled and give me that info.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 07:41:48 PM »

I wish them the best.

Jonathan W6GX

They are using a satellite connection - and I will update you and let you all know what the schedule for log uploads is once they get settled and give me that info.

Thanks.  I've become spoiled by online logs and clublog.

Jonathan W6GX
K5GS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 09:06:58 PM »

Logs to be uploaded daily.  Just finished the DoC safety briefing,  everything went well, we're on schedule for the morning.

Gene K5GS
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 09:24:52 PM »

Logs to be uploaded daily.  Just finished the DoC safety briefing,  everything went well, we're on schedule for the morning.

Gene K5GS

Wonderful.  Have a safe trip.

Jonathan W6GX
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 09:57:29 PM »

Have a safe trip! Hope everything goes well
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 01:11:32 PM »

http://dx-world.net/2012/zl9hr-dxpedition-update/

Loaded and ready to go!

GL team!

Col, MM0NDX
EU Pilot: ZL9HR
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 04:06:16 PM »

Latest update I have from one of the team members is that they are delayed a bit due to wx near Stewart Island.

I think they should still be on time though.
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 07:05:56 PM »

As long as the trip is safe and without incident, that's the main goal!
Randy
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 04:06:10 AM »

If you haven't already seen this:

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 06:11:00 AM »

Hope its only one day. Delays at the start are never good....   With setup/teardown time, etc. it looks like the QRV period is going to be 10 days (Minus the nites) or less. I sure hope they see good wx soon Smiley. I have a feeling that those of us here on the E. coast will need all the time we can get. hi hi

73, Gene AF3Y
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 06:21:18 AM »

Yup, that's exactly what I was told.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: