Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZL9HR - Campbell Island Last Update before sailing  (Read 10432 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 12:42:36 PM »

The latest word is that they hope to arrive on Campbell on Friday - WX permitting. No word yet as to whether or not they would stay longer than scheduled to make up for lost time. I'll let you know when I hear that news. DX World will also have the up to the minute scoop . . .
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 03:27:07 AM »

Another status from the team:

"They are still at Stewart Island, the weather is still bad the waves are 11 meters high they will be leaving tomorrow morning 29th of November for Campbell Island and hope to be there
Saturday morning and start operating late that day."

Remember, they are a day ahead of North American time zones:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/full.html

No news on whether they will stay longer than originally planned, which is December 9th.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:10:35 AM by KY6R » Logged
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 04:42:15 AM »

I confirm they will not extend their stay.

GL

Col, MM0NDX
EU Pilot: ZL9HR
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 07:43:17 AM »

So that means roughly nine days of operating time.  The lidfest will take up the first seven days.  That leaves only two days for us mortals to even have a chance Huh

Jonathan W6GX
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 07:47:39 AM »

Perhaps their Leader should issue a request that the DX Community only make 1-2 contacts with them and disable the Leaderboard stuff. Forget about guys racking up 20-21 contacts with them. I think that is what I would consider doing.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 09:15:11 AM »

Perhaps their Leader should issue a request that the DX Community only make 1-2 contacts with them and disable the Leaderboard stuff. Forget about guys racking up 20-21 contacts with them. I think that is what I would consider doing.

I agree completely, and will pass this suggestion to the team.

On another note - I doubt that we will see the same issues that we saw with PT0S - because propagation will limit, filter and prevent the "perfect storm" from happening that plagued PT0S - which is having EU / NA / SA all have blazingly loud signals all at the same time. On top of that - there will be very low chance of any 160 or 80M time with ZL9HR. If you look at both DX Atlas and VOACAP - you will see what I mean.

I do know that the main goal of ZL9HR is to hand out as many ATNO's as possible, so this is all good.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 12:32:16 PM »

I will be glad for them to get there and back in one piece...
This affects ocean areas: FORTIES and PACIFIC
AT 281800UTC
1. In a belt 180 nautical miles wide centred on a line 48S 173E 47S 174E 47S 177E: Southwest 50kt easing to 35kt next 6 hours.
2. Outside area 1 and in a belt 420 nautical miles wide centred on a line 51S 170E 47S 175E 47S 172W: Southwest 35kt.
Storm and gale areas moving eastnortheast 35kt.
This warning cancels and replaces warning 386.
Issued at 7:17am Thursday 29 Nov 2012

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 01:47:05 PM »

3 stations, one on each mode for same band and all 9 days(now fewer) is the way to go if handing out ATNO
is the goal Smiley

This is going to be hard for the East coast stations relative to the Left coast.

Krish
w4vku
K9DMV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 02:28:19 PM »

TO K5GS and KY6R:

It would be helpful if you post ZL9HR possible start date and start time in GMT date and time. This might eliminate confusion here in NA and around the world. Other hams might make the wrong date / time adjustment.  JMHO.

Good luck to all,

Joe  -  K9DMV 
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 03:58:58 PM »

3 stations, one on each mode for same band and all 9 days(now fewer) is the way to go if handing out ATNO
is the goal Smiley

This is going to be hard for the East coast stations relative to the Left coast.

Krish
w4vku

I think it will still be a great expedition and hopefully the team will:

Activate 5 or 6 stations, and with no 80 or 160 meter bands activated, they should be able to cover all the bands and modes pretty darn well.

Limit the callers to 1 or 2 QSOs and disable the leaderboard info, as Paul, N6PSE suggested earlier.  IF callers will listen to the DX..... Huh  

Update the online logs as quickly and as often as possible to help eliminate "Insurance" contacts.

Activate only the extra class portions of the bands for the first few days to handle the big guns, and with an emphasis on CW, to acquire max QSOs/hr.

73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:04:02 PM by AF3Y » Logged
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »

is the goal Smiley

Krish
w4vku

I think it will still be a great expedition and hopefully the team will:

Activate 5 or 6 stations, and with no 80 or 160 meter bands activated, they should be able to cover all the bands and modes pretty darn well.

Limit the callers to 1 or 2 QSOs and disable the leaderboard info, as Paul, N6PSE suggested earlier.  IF callers will listen to the DX..... Huh  

Update the online logs as quickly and as often as possible to help eliminate "Insurance" contacts.

Activate only the extra class portions of the bands for the first few days to handle the big guns, and with an emphasis on CW, to acquire max QSOs/hr.

73, Gene AF3Y

This is almost exactly what I sent along as a suggestion. I do know for a fact that the team's absolute #1 goal is to give everyone an ATNO - so all of these suggestions fit with that goal.

I worked closely with K3EL on the propagation charts - so I do expect lots of CW between 20 - 10M, and what you see on the ZL9HR web site and on http://ky6r.wordpress.com is very much what you can expect as far as operation is concerned.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 04:40:58 PM »

TO K5GS and KY6R:

It would be helpful if you post ZL9HR possible start date and start time in GMT date and time. This might eliminate confusion here in NA and around the world. Other hams might make the wrong date / time adjustment.  JMHO.

Good luck to all,

Joe  -  K9DMV 

Hello Joe - remember when they say "Late Saturday" you might look up their date and time here:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/full.html

Basically they are 1 day ahead of us. I don't have an exact ETA yet - but will let you all know when I do.

Stay tuned to Col's fantastic DX World web site - he is always right on top of things - as they happen:

http://dx-world.net/

and of course - always go back and check the DX-pedition web site - if you haven't read all of the pages - now is the perfect time to do so - they give a lot of good tidbits that can help you strategize on when to work them. Also - if you don't have DX Atlas - you might get a copy of it - its fantastic to figure out what their summer sunlight is and when that jives with NA - or other parts of the world.

http://www.dxatlas.com/

Rich
KY6R
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 06:44:06 PM »

What I'd like to see on the part of the Clublog developers: provide a special module for DXpeditions that request it. One that shows ONLY the bands and modes, as separate lines. So when you work the DXpedition first time on 10m CW, the 10m and CW greenie both light up. No need to work them on CW again, unless it's for a new band (or vice versa with mode). 9 bands, 3 modes. Let the organizers customize the restrictions even further. Maybe just 3 modes and that's it, or once per band and that's it, etc.

Naturally, I'll be in the hunt for as many slots as I can muster, but if the DXpedition makes it known that they want X from The Deserving, I will gladly abide by their request. For this one, I'm after at the very least 3 modes and 5 or 6 bands. This will be #327 (current) if I can bag 'em at least once.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 07:01:54 PM »

one band and one mode is good enough for me - and helping everyone get their q

this will put me one away from honor roll - so its a really big deal.

fingers crossed and 7 dBd stack is aimed their way.

rich
KY6R
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 07:14:57 PM »

How about they switch frequencies after every 5 or 10 QSOs so DXers actually have to tune and listen, and they relegate the cluster as useless?

John AF5CC
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: