Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW Skimmer: Do you use it?  (Read 1589 times)
WX2S

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2012, 07:46:25 PM »

Hi, all,

I checked out CW Skimmer last night and was wondering how many people here use it. Seems good for spotting but not for decoding.

73, -WX2S.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 08:26:41 PM »

I use it for spotting.  I have seen it do decoding on the frequency I am monitoring, but I never use it for that.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 07:14:03 PM »

Would be really cool, as some have mentioned, to integrate the spotting with a panadapter. Hey, Elecraft, hint, hint :-)

73, -WX2S.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 03:52:18 AM »

I used the Reverse Beacon Network as a skimmer spotting feed during contests. I use VE7CC's AR software to set up filters, so I only see spots from skimmers in my region, otherwise you drown in spots you are likely to never hear.

I like human-powered spotting for general DXing, as skimmers don't give you "UP" or "EU only" type comments. Actually, I'm doing more spotting-free DXing, as it is much more fun to find them before they are spotted. But for that first glance at the bands when you sit down at the key, nice to see what is out there with spotting.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 06:24:13 AM »

I've used skimmer outside of contests for testing purposes. I used the trial version since it hasn't been useful enough enough to me yet to buy a full license.

Maybe one day if I decide to do serious efforts assisted in CW contests.
K3SF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 07:13:59 PM »

i use cwskimmer with a sdr-iq sdr receiver patched thru the antenna switching of my tentec orion...i mod'd my orion to be able to bring out the main antenna as a spare on the back panel of the orion...gives me three receivers each doing their own special task
1. main receiver to hear the dx station
2. secondary receiver to hear my split transmit freq activity
3.  sr-iq with cwskimmer to 'see' whats happening

i use cw skimmer to help sort out how a dxpedition is working their way thru a pileup...
i sure cant copy a 30 khz wide cw pileup all at once but cwskimmer can..after listening to what calls are being work i look thru the list being shown by cskimmer..and then i am able to see the pattern the dxpedition is using at the moment...i then confirm firm the pattern by using the second receiver of the orion...then bam..work'em. log'em..move on ....

it is easier and quicker to 'see' the pattern...

during a contest i use it as my main cluster spotter...
if cwskimmer on my sdr-iq can hear'em then i can work'em..
i use the verify call mode of cwskimmer and of course my own ears as a double check
of the call sign

cwskimmer is good with a nice wideband sdr receiver like the sdr-iq ..196khz wide
much much wider than standard radio receiver...

just a few thought on how to get the  most out of three receivers

paul...k3sf

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: