Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which RTTY contesting software do you prefer?  (Read 8665 times)
AJ4RW

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:43:14 AM »

My favorite contests are the RTTY contest by far.  This could be a result of nostalgia coupled with the fun of RTTY, I just don't know.  Anyway, I use writelog at present but would like to explore other possibilities.  I'm always looking for a better mouse trap so to speak.  I use the HRD suite for my regular logging and I don't care to replace it at present.  Which one do you prefer?

I know this might have been asked at another time but due to technological advancement in software, I believe this is a good time to ask this question.

Thanks 73 Randy
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:52:33 AM »

I use N1MM with MMTTY. Integration is very very good... as MMTTY decodes and shows calls on the screen, it color-codes them (dupe, new QSO, new mult) based on whether they are in log or not.

In WAE RTTY, it was even better, and I did lot of QTC's (traffic exchanges) reception with mouse clicks from MMTTY decoding straight to the N1MM QTC form. And QTC sending is completely automated with N1MM and MMTTY.

I used skimmer spots to my advantage too, in RTTY Roundup. Other contests I don't use spots. The reversebeacon network is showing many RTTY spots, and others swear by DL4RCK skimmer spots on RTTY.

AA5AU has some very excellent web pages, and is the RTTY contest expert and has a lot of info on Writelog for RTTY tests. See:  http://www.rttycontesting.com/tutorials/tutorials.htm
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:00:15 AM »

I like WriteLOG for Windows,, BUT
it works best using a machine running XP.
When I upgraded (hah!) to a Win 7 computer
I had a LOT of problems. I reverted back to an
older laptop running XP. (Which is less susceptible
to RFI than the Win 7 desktop anyway......)
73, Ken  AD6KA
NQ3X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 01:46:44 PM »

#2 for N1MM+MMTTY.  Seamless and so easy even I can use it.  Wink

Cheers,

Bob WP2XX
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »

I use N1MM and Fldigi. A great combination! I never could get MMTTY to install correctly on Win 7. N1MM makes logging almost effortless - a couple clicks and/or key presses and you're done. The learning curve is fairly steep with N1MM, but if you're serious about RTTY contesting, HRD will be a very serious limitation to success. I also use HRD Logbook for my standard logging, so when I'm done with a contest, I output an ADIF file from N1MM and import it into HRD. I then run a custom-built script to update missing contact data from QRZ.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »

Well I'll be #3 for N1MM and MMTTY ops. I find it to be foolproof, streamline and very intuitive to setup and use. You should have no problem in using N1MM with HRD. While I am not sure if the 2 programs will interface together in realtime, I do know that I use DX Lab Suite and there is a N1MM to DXLAB bridge software app that provides realtime data transfer between logging with N1MM during a contest and having all the N1MM log entries be in place in my DXKeeper logbook at the end of the contest without any issues of exporting/importing an ADIF file. I would suppose that HRD may have something like that since everyone seems to think it is Numero UNO in the logging world! If not, I guess that's something to be upgraded in a later rev?

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KI7DG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »

I use HamScope with MMTTY integration.  No learning curve ncesssary down load (free) and go to work.

73 and good DX
Chuck
KI7DG
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 12:54:45 PM »

I use TR4W with the K3's CW-to-DATA for encode and the K3 decoder.  In the past, I've used N1MM and MMTTY.  I understand that TR4W can be integrated with MMTTY now.  But, I'm not particularly serious about RTTY contesting and probably won't be now that I've all but finished that segment of Triple Play from this QTH.
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 11:06:31 PM »

I use MixW for RTTY contesting. I started out with it and just got used to it. Not really a serious RTTY contester but they are fun. I use N1MM for CW and SSB contests and not real serious there either.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 01:12:07 PM »

# 4 or 5 whichever...

N1MM & MMTTY

Works just fine. I use it for every RTTY contest,
and everyday RTTY too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: