Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is QRP really about and do you truly exercise QRP?  (Read 7056 times)
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »

I think it`s neat Alinco`s latest hf rig has a qrp feature to go below 5 watts. Wish we could see more of that on hf rigs,not just dedicated qrp rigs. What`s embarassing is when a qrp station answers me and his 5 watts sounds better than my 100 watts!  Wink Usually that`s a base station with a monster antenna. I really must give credit to those that can do that. Some time ago I had worked a station in VT who was running 50 milliwatts on 80 cw!  Ok,it wasn`t exactly dx,but he was putting out a very respectable signal. On noisy 80m! It makes me want to built an attenuator and see what I could do with that power level. I don`t know what the current power level record is,but years ago I know two stations on 10m set a record using 56 microwatts! Of course that`s pushing it. I think the qso was from TX to CA. You`d also need an accurate wattmeter. I`ve done 100 milliwatts to Europe with my 3 ele yagi on 20m. Two stations heard me with dipoles. It`s fun to experiment with qrp or QRPp.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 01:00:24 PM »

Part of what QRP is to me is maritime mobile with my 20m MFJ Cub and dropped ends 20m dipole from the mast of my(pdracer.com)#728 sailboat "Kluster Duck".While definitely not a dx or rst record breaking operation it certainly gets a 599 for setting up exercise.    Jim
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 04:16:27 PM »

QRP is like bowhunting, QRO is hunting with a high power rifle.
Each has its own benefits and problems.

For example, I could use my old IC2A with its 1.5W on 2m FM, or I could put on a 15W amplifier.
Alternatively, a 10db gain antenna could be added to increase my range.
I choose the antenna.

At the receiving side, the signal is the same, but my power supply requirements are much lighter.
On the negative side, my signal pattern is compressed to get the gain, so I  don't have omnidirectional coverage.

However, due to my high location, I can key the various repeaters quite successfully with the 150mW setting on the IC2A.
This is with the stock rubber ducky.
So why cut your operating time down when 150mW can do the job effectively.

To me this is the QRP credo.
And it is also what ham radio should be about.
Using just enough power to establish effective communications.
Many guys however, seem to think that they are in the public or commercial broadcasting service - and power up accordingly.

To me, the defining factor in communications is signal to noise ratio, not absolute signal strength.
This is where antenna design becomes crucial.
Anyone who has used a magnetic loop for example, understands how signal to noise ratio makes a huge difference.
To me, the QRP mindset is one of posing a challenge, then thinking of how to solve it.
If you consider challenges frustrating, you will despise QRP.

But if you consider them avenues of exploration and success - QRP will give you pleasure, and enrich you in many ways.

73 - Rob
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 04:18:36 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
SV1XV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 07:02:13 AM »

I disagree: QRP is like hunting with a toothpick while QRO is like hunting with a 0.50" machine gun. Firing the machine gun is a fantastic experience.

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 12:01:22 PM »

I enjoy QRP contesting especially on 160 meters.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 02:17:48 PM »

I disagree: QRP is like hunting with a toothpick while QRO is like hunting with a 0.50" machine gun. Firing the machine gun is a fantastic experience.

You illustrate my point exactly about different temperaments being suited to QRP and QRO.

You would be happy in the military being behind a machine gun, while my preferred position would be as a sniper.
It all is a matter of personality, patience and your outlook on life.
These personal factors decide our radio operating choices as much as any other decisions we make.

We are all made differently, and that is why we have different operating interests and styles.
None are better or worse - just different.
Dogs and cats are both hunting animals - but they hunt different things and with different styles.
We don't expect a cat to run down a fox, or dogs to stealthily sit and hunt mice.

So it is with QRP and QRO.
I leave it to your imagination whether QRO guys are like dogs or cats, but I think the answer is self evident.
Who barks the loudest, with a louder bark being a better dog?

73 - Rob
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 12:59:45 PM »

My best is over 40000 miles per watt.  That with a wire antenna in the trees.

Yes you can do ti with QRP.  Contests are a challenge with QRP.  I have run this entire year strictly QRP (5W or less).

72, JP, K8AG
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 05:40:23 PM »

JP:  40000 miles!  My signal would have to beat and bang around the mountains of WV for a week before setting out to go around the world and back to get 40000 miles!!   Wink
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: