Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRD Logbook causing JT65-HF to lock up  (Read 5481 times)
VA3QB

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2012, 04:03:26 PM »

I have just figured out after a few weeks that when ever I start and run HRD logbook it causes JT-65-HF to either lock up TX or not TX at all.

I'm running a Yaesu Ft-1000MP with a Rigblaster Nomic interface.  I run Ham Radio deluxe for control and for transmit. 
If I run JT65-HF without the logbook running, no problems at all. With a few minutes of starting the logbook it locks up in one form or another. 

HRD version 54.24.0.38   and latest version of JT65-HF

Anyone else have this problem ??    I plan to post it on the HRd forum but just wanted to see if anyone else was having this or similar problem first.

Bill
VA3QB
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 01:57:37 PM »

I have just figured out after a few weeks that when ever I start and run HRD logbook it causes JT-65-HF to either lock up TX or not TX at all.

I'm running a Yaesu Ft-1000MP with a Rigblaster Nomic interface.  I run Ham Radio deluxe for control and for transmit. 
If I run JT65-HF without the logbook running, no problems at all. With a few minutes of starting the logbook it locks up in one form or another. 

HRD version 54.24.0.38   and latest version of JT65-HF

Anyone else have this problem ??    I plan to post it on the HRd forum but just wanted to see if anyone else was having this or similar problem first.

Bill
VA3QB

Bill I have run HRD, the Logbook, DM780 and JT65 at the same time for close to two years and have no problem with any of the locking up. And my CPU is no screamer let me tell you! I am running a computer that is at least 15 or more years old. 3 GHz, 504 MB of ram and Windows XP.

So I am not sure what problem you are having but my system runs fine. It would be better to have a faster processor for JT65 decoding but I get by.

73, Rick VE3FMC
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 03:41:31 PM »

The problem is that HRD has been going through a lot of changes recently.
Versions from before the new owners had their own set of problems, but it is very much a moving target these days.
The best idea is to go on to the HRD forums and ask your question there.
You seem to be using one of the recent versions of HRD, under the new owners, so they will probably be interested in your feedback.

But keep in mind, that your version is one of the last free versions, and so you may be out of luck with support, unless you have paid up.
If you have paid the price for V6, then I believe you will have support for the last version 5 build as well.

In any case, it is now a commercial product, so you should treat it accordingly and take the same actions as any other pay for play software.
Unlike what the eham hrd review page says, HRD is no longer free software in its latest V6 release.
There are other rig control software options, but they may not be as pretty as HRD.
Alternately, you could try the older "Simon" version which is still very capable, and has been used for a long time without too many problems.

Rick (the previous poster) has indicated he has been running HRD for two years without issues, but I am not sure what version he is running.
If it is a two year old version 5, it is probably the "Simon" version I mentioned above.

Good luck,

73 - Rob
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 05:39:21 AM »

Rob I am running Version 5.24.0.38 which I believe is the latest free version. Honestly I doubt it is a software problem, more likely a hardware problem.

As I said I am not having any problems with JT65 crashing while the HRD logbook is up and running. I log every JT65 contact while I am actually making the contact.

Rick VE3FMC
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 09:17:53 PM »

Rob I am running Version 5.24.0.38 which I believe is the latest free version. Honestly I doubt it is a software problem, more likely a hardware problem.

As I said I am not having any problems with JT65 crashing while the HRD logbook is up and running. I log every JT65 contact while I am actually making the contact.

Rick VE3FMC

Oh well Rick, you let the air out of that thought balloon!
There are interacting elements in the hardware, drivers, inter-process communication etc, so it could be a lot of things.

I don't claim to have much knowledge of HRD, but from memory it communicates between processes via TCP/IP ports.
Since this is a networking process, perhaps a lockup(or apparent lockup) could be due to his network processes being blocked for some reason intermittently.
I am not sure if HRD uses other inter-process comms methods such as shared memory or semaphores, but waiting on a network process can initiate a timeout period, which may suspend the process.

I am probably like the guy in plato's cave trying to guess reality from the shadows cast on the cave wall, but there is my input for what it is worth.

If I were doing it, I would have windows performance manager running, and see which processes are taking a lot of cpu time and memory usage in normal operation.
Then when the process hangs check it again and see if anything has drastically changed.
Another thing he could try is to do a netstat -a command in dos or cmd mode, and take a note of network connections being used by HRD/Logbook.
Then you could see if any are terminated or otherwise acting abnormally when the problem occurs.

The thing to do is to get a feel for the normal baseline conditions and then you can do some forensics when it goes belly up.

It could even be RF affecting the nomic interface, and that causing hanging - and HRD logbook may just be a co-incidence.
I know when my usb-signalink gets an RF overdose, it hangs my digimode program for a while.

Good luck and happy diagnosing.

73 - Rob
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 09:01:43 AM »

Not that I have a dog in this fight but as a reference point, I run JT65-HF with DXLAB's DXKeeper and have zero problems. In the past, I tried an older version of HRD with my WORKING C.A.T. interface for my Kenwood TS940S and it gave me fits. It would work about 30 seconds and then lock up the computer and cause the TS940S to go haywire. Rebooting the PC and running another software pkg to control the C.A.T. on the 940 (with no changes done to hardware or software drivers, etc.), the 940 CAT control worked flawlessly. After an extended period (couple of weeks) of trying everything I could imagine to find the culprit, I gave up on HRD as a lost cause and moved on to DXLAB Suite and haven't had any issues with interfaces, C.A.T. or otherwise.

I surely hope the latest version of HRD works better than the version I tried a few years ago.

Good Luck,

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
VA3QB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 10:17:09 AM »

Thanks everyone for the comments.
I decided to buy a Signalink and the Packet cable so I will repost later if the problem goes away.

Bill
VA3QB
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 06:48:55 PM »

Thanks everyone for the comments.
I decided to buy a Signalink and the Packet cable so I will repost later if the problem goes away.

Bill
VA3QB

There is a used Signalink USB for sale for $80 on the KWARC swap shop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: