The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Illegal operation on 17 meters  (Read 3725 times)
KC4BW

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2016, 08:08:12 AM »

I was on 17m last weekend on Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 and I worked a fellow named Jay who gave the call sign W0AFX.  He said he was near the center of Missouri.  When he signed with me he gave his call first then mine.  I thought that was very strange, so I stayed on frequency (18.140 Mhz) and he had another QSO with W3FRQ and he signed out the same way with him.  Obviously this fellow knew nothing of amateur radio protocol, so I decided to look up W0AFX on QRZ.com and found the call belongs to a Christopher R. Bloom in Topeka, Kansas (I don't think Jay fits here).  Also the class license is Technician.  Since Technician class operators are not allowed on 17m I figured this guy was definitely an illegal operator.  And since I had a QSO with him he will probably be using my call in the future.  Thank God for logbooks!!

I realize hams police themselves, but I'm not sure how to go about helping to get this guy off the air.  It might be a waste of time contacting the FCC, not sure they would be able to do anything without a lot more evidence.

Ted
KC4BW

N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 08:26:12 AM »

The first step is to localize the individual.

Have a rotatable directional antenna with a rotor controller that has a fairly accurate azimuth readout? Use it. Then get a couple of your buddies in different parts of the country to do same.

Once the area is identified, reach out to the various amateur radio clubs located in the vicinity and tell them there's a bootlegger about.

Fox hunting is fun, even on HF.
N9BH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 09:10:04 AM »

Years ago I knew a technician on 2 meters who always did the call sign in reverse order.
KC4BW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 09:37:41 AM »

John, N8YX, I never thought of performing the old triangulation method of foxhunting like they do on 2 meters on HF, but it would work.  The only problem is catching this guy when he's on the air.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 02:13:04 PM »

Ted,

You probably mistook x for s in the callsign,

Jay W0AFS IN PLATTSBURG, MO.

I know many hams who give callsigns in the order that you mention.

Confirmed:
Your contact on jan 10th on 17meters is in his log on qrz . com as follows

K7EOS 2016-01-10 17m SSB DN18UQ36  United States Wade E Brooks  
W3RFQ 2016-01-10 17m SSB FM18ox  United States KENNETH G MC KEE JR  
KC4BW 2016-01-10 17m SSB FM19pa  United States THEODORE F KOSS  
N2LJR 2016-01-10 17m SSB FN13ee  United States RENE LATOUR

I have done so many times that I am getting efficient at using qrz . com to decipher my screwups.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 02:25:14 PM by WB8VLC » Logged
EI2HEB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 11:09:28 PM »

The first step is to localize the individual.

I disagree.

The first step should be contacting W0AFX, and explain what happened.
Ask W0AFX if someone was operating this call "under supervision" that particular instance.

Once it is established beyond doubt that it was a rogue operator stealing someone's call, you can proceed with contacting the FCC, locating, tracking, etc...

which is mood at this point, as it seems that it was a mistaken id:

Ted,

You probably mistook x for s in the callsign,

Jay W0AFS IN PLATTSBURG, MO.

I know many hams who give callsigns in the order that you mention.

Confirmed:
Your contact on jan 10th on 17meters is in his log on qrz . com as follows

K7EOS 2016-01-10 17m SSB DN18UQ36  United States Wade E Brooks  
W3RFQ 2016-01-10 17m SSB FM18ox  United States KENNETH G MC KEE JR  
KC4BW 2016-01-10 17m SSB FM19pa  United States THEODORE F KOSS  
N2LJR 2016-01-10 17m SSB FN13ee  United States RENE LATOUR

I have done so many times that I am getting efficient at using qrz . com to decipher my screwups.

... my 2 cents ...
W5CBO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 09:39:50 AM »

As the years have gone by it seems to be getting worse to me. People now feel they can just jump on and do whatever they want with no repercussions at all.

Me and a bunch of my friends were all on 40 meters one evening when this guy throws his call out so we let him jump in to the round table. One of my buddies looked his call up and told guy he couldn't find it listed. I asked him to repeat it so we were not mistaken and he said "Well ya got me" "I don't actually have a call and never have". "I've been doing this for years cuz it don't really hurt anybody to just talk to people does it"?

We're living in an age where wrong is right and right is wrong I'm afraid.

WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 10:17:32 PM »

I hear you especially on 10 meters where pirates seem to migrate.

In this case the other operator, W0AFS not W0AFX as originally thought, is a legitimate ham.

KC4BW made a simple mistake that could have been caused by W0AFS using non standard phonetics perhaps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: