Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linear power supply suggestions?  (Read 1913 times)
ZL2HAM

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2012, 02:45:30 AM »

I'm thinking about replacing my bench power supply (Daiwa SS330W, 30A, 5V to 15V) with a linear supply. Although the Daiwa is reasonably quiet for a switcher, I'm hoping to reduce noise in the shack further, including eliminating a couple of 5V wall warts.

I'd like to find one that has two variable outputs (which I would generally use for 5V and 13.8V) and variable current limiting. Something in the same 30A power range as the Daiwa would be fine.

Suggestions for quality manufacturers/models/sellers would be appreciated.
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 03:16:50 AM »

May I suggest a fixed Voltage supply with crowbar protection circuit for your main shack supply and a less critical variable Voltage "bench supply" as well? Using a crowbar circuit in a variable supply means adjusting the crowbar as well as the supply. I wouldn't trust a power supply without a crowbar as your radio gear is more valuable than the cost of adding one.

I've had a couple of pass transistors fail in linear supplies, one blew the fuse in the crowbar I added (small "CB" grade power supply) and the other blew an audio amp.

As suggested elsewhere, the Astron supplies seem good. I have a military surplus Racal 35A supply that is pretty good - if a bit on the heavy side. I am not sure what you might find in ZL land though.

73 Dave
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 05:25:41 AM »

http://www.astroncorp.com/linear.shtml

This link to the Astron linear power supplies has several power supplies that will work. You will need one variable and one fixed output power supply. Most Astron linear power supplies have overvoltage crowbar circuits.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 07:21:00 AM »

http://www.astroncorp.com/linear.shtml

This link to the Astron linear power supplies has several power supplies that will work. You will need one variable and one fixed output power supply. Most Astron linear power supplies have overvoltage crowbar circuits.

That is what I have. Reliable, easy to fix yourself.
ZL2HAM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 04:40:24 PM »

I forgot to mention that ZL uses 240VAC.

The Astron linear supplies look nice, except they all seem to require 110VAC.

Lack of availability in ZL isn't necessarily a problem -- it's easy for me to ship/import.

(and yes, an overvoltage crowbar would be good).
AC2Q

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 06:41:06 PM »

I have used Tripp Lite power supplies for the last 25 years. They have a crowbar circuit.
Utterly, Boringly Dependable.

240 Vac availability unknown.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 09:51:43 PM »

HAM:  I suggest you look over the Astron website for a 240VAC supply or contact them via email.   I just left their website and there simply is too much information for my tired old eyes at this time of the night!   Embarrassed
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 03:59:25 AM »

Astron supplies seem to be the favorite of most hams, but any good power supply will serve.  Just remember that you shouldn't figure on actually using more than approximately 80 percent of the available amperage of the supply.  The reason for that is to keep the supply running cool, and the supply will have a much longer useful life.

Remember this useful rule of thumb:  Take the total amperage that the equipment you're going to connect to the supply and divide by .8.  Buy the supply that will provide at least that number of amps.  Your new supply will likely then outlast your radios.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: