Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick fix for Icom 718 ext. speaker jack  (Read 1256 times)
WA8MEA

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2012, 08:01:36 AM »

The Icom IC-718 has been known to have its external speaker jack "loosen up" so that proper contact isn't made, which can result in an occasional incident of "dead air" reception. (Usually at a very inopportune moment....)

Figuring this was a very similar problem to the Sangean 818 receiver's antenna jack, where the external antenna jack ground would separate from the PC board, I quickly surmised that instead of opening up the rig....it was best to "re-ground" the jack from the outside of the rig.

I took and soldered a short piece o' wire to the ground side of the 3.5 mm plug and connected a small alligator clamp to the other end of the short piece o' wire.  I clipped the alligator clip to the ground post a few inches away and BINGO....the ground side of the plug/jack are now firmly grounded to the ground. (Like the lady in the Toyota commercial says....)  No more intermittent audio problems.

73, Bill - WA8MEA
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 09:52:06 AM »

BTW, your external speaker wires are still soldered/connected just the same as always.  It's just that this third lil' piece o' wire has been added for grounding to the chassis.

That is all.  You my now resume normal programming.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: