Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This weeks DXCC Sleuth => KH1 - Howland / Baker Island  (Read 829 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2012, 08:19:27 AM »

I was very busy this last month designing, building and replacing my entire antenna farm - the full story is on my QRZ.COM page. Now I have time to get back to the DXCC Sleuth blog:

http://dxccsleuth.wordpress.com/
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 11:07:43 AM »

One of the more unique activations of this entity, possibly in all of DXCC, was SM0AGD/KH1 from Canton Island in October 1982.  This island, at the time, was under some kind of joint administration between the US and Kiribati.  (It's now just Kiribati.)

Being under joint administration, it qualified as two separate entities:  T31 and KH1.  Erik had a sign on the wall with each callsign, T31AE and SM0AGD/KH1, printed on opposite sides.  At 0000z each day he would turn the sign around and be that particular entity for that day.  Then at 0000z the next day he was the other entity - without ever leaving the chair!

Great stuff!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 11:12:57 AM by K9NW » Logged
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 11:12:20 AM »

One of the more unique activations of this entity, possibly in all of DXCC, was SM0AGD/KH1 from Canton Island in October 1982.  This island, at the time, was under some kind of joint jurisdiction of the US and Kiribati.  (It's now just Kiribati.)

Being under joint jurisdiction, it qualified as two separate entities:  T31 and KH1.  Erik had a sign on the wall with each callsign, T31AE and SM0AGD/KH1, printed on opposite sides.  At 0000z each day he would turn the sign around and be that particular entity for that day.  Then at 0000z the next day he was the other entity - without ever leaving the chair!

Great stuff!

I'll update the blog and give you credit for this tidbit - since it is really excellent. I wondered why his QSL card had Canton on it but also KH1. Funny . . .
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:15:10 PM »

Somehow it just doesn't seem right (or possible) that one station could give out 2 different entities like that.  I wonder what happens if a station is exactly on an international border-can it count for both entities?  It works that way for counties and grid squares.

John AF5CC
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 08:51:14 PM »

Somehow it just doesn't seem right (or possible) that one station could give out 2 different entities like that.  I wonder what happens if a station is exactly on an international border-can it count for both entities?  It works that way for counties and grid squares.

John AF5CC

This one was a real anomaly - like Mike, K9NW said - it must have been during some transition period, when Canton was changing hands jurisdiction wise - it certainly is part of Kiribati now.

Also - before about 1999, the DXCC Rules were quite different and some entities had gotten on the list by some people pressuring the ARRL to change the DXCC rules. There is a lot of controversy regarding how certain entities even got on the list in the first place - and they were "grad fathered in" as of 2000 - but under todays rules, several entities on the current list would not make the cut.

Then there were the controversies way back when - when the ARRL did not even ask for proof that someone actually was at the place they said they activated. There were at least a couple "characters" who had "fake" DX-peditions. That was one reason why the ARRL revamped and cleaned up the DXCC rules in the late 90's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: