Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ameritron AL-80A Band Switch Replacement  (Read 6935 times)
KI6WIK

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2012, 06:22:22 PM »

I have an Ameritron pre MFJ Al-80A that the band switch needs replacing, I have ordered the AL-80B band switch, my question is, has anyone done this replacement, and if so I could use some pointers.

Thanks Ted ki6wik
W8VVE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 09:15:42 AM »

I don't do a lot of repairs...but when I do...I ALWAYS take several digital pictures of the area I am going to work on...in your case...the switch and wires connected.  Yes...I can read a schematic...but it sure makes it easier to SEE where things actually go.  Of course
the basic POWER OFF, DISCONNECT, ETC. I just pulled up a pic of the band switch area and it doesn't look all that bad to change but am sure there are hams that will read this that have actually done it so I'll be like you and keep checking to see what they say since I have an AL-80B.  Best of luck....Sam W8VVE
W4QT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 07:51:04 AM »

I just replaced the bandswitch wafers this weekend on the AL-80A using the AL-80B bandswitch purchased from Ameritron. I just replaced the wafers not the whole switch. I only had one bad wafer but decided to replace all three. Two of the wafers are exactly the same as the originals. The one in the middle is slightly different. The difference is that the solder positions are moved slightly on the wafer. It's functions just as the original but requires you to re-adjust the wiring a little and add an additional lead. I'll see if I can put some pictures up on the web and update the post so you can see what I'm talking about.

Fairly easy installation. Took all Sunday to do it though. Now I have nice new un-tarnished contacts!  Smiley

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

Mark W4QT
W4QT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 08:13:29 AM »

Here is a link to pictures of the bandswitch replacement.

http://imgur.com/a/ocQqW#0
N8CBX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 05:34:19 AM »

I wonder why there's a corona washer on the padder cap wafer?
http://i.imgur.com/1qQ6zCL.jpg
Jan N8CBX

Dayton Ohio - The Birthplace of Aviation
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 06:28:48 AM »

I wonder why there's a corona washer on the padder cap wafer?
http://i.imgur.com/1qQ6zCL.jpg
Jan N8CBX

Could it be that they could not find the Dos XX washer? Roll Eyes Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: