Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hf antenna advice  (Read 711 times)
PA0DMM

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:30:29 AM »

Can anybody give me some advice about an HF vertical antenna to buy, I have restricted possibilities to place the antenna. I prefer the 80m 40m and 20m bands mostly because I have no further experience on the other bands. I'm a licenced HAM for almost 40 years and have made my (re)entrance last month  after 20 years of silence.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 11:15:52 AM »

I have restricted possibilities to place the antenna.

You're going to have to be more specific than that.  Ground or roof mount?  Height limitation?  Budget?

Generally speaking, your answer is "the biggest one that will fit".

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 01:26:46 PM »

Hi PA0DMM

For vertical use there are not may good verticals for 80 mtrs.
All beneath 10 mtrs of length are to lossy and only work soso.

Also if you want to work local stations on 80 mtrs the recieving and transmitting on a vertical is very bad .
For local stations up to a 1000 KMs on 80 I would not use a vertical but a dipole.

On 40 mtrs also local trafic is much better on a dipole.
On 20 - 10 mtrs  vertical can be a very good antenna to use.

I have had full size monoband verticals from 2 - 80 mtrs and they worked very good from 2 - 30 mtrs.
On 40 and 80 certainly if you want local contacts verticals are totaly the wrong choise.

Please also do not forget that band noise on 40 and 80 mtrs have become so much greater the past 20 yrs.
Very often recieving on 80 mtrs without specially designed low noise RX ntennas in a crowded city area is as good as impossible here in the Netherlands due to lots and lots of QRM produced by LED light bulbs , switching PSU for allmost everything, and ofcource the worst QRM maker of all local internet over powerlines routers and digitally TV routing in a house.

Ik heb veel ervaring met zelfbouw verticals, zowel monoband dualband triband en multiband met open lijn. Laat maar horen als je iets wil weten.

groetjes 73 Jos

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: