Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu ft-77 no tx power please help  (Read 4058 times)
KB5NMA

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2012, 03:30:07 PM »

i recently purchased a ft 77 got it home and found it to rec. very well but when i keyed it up smoke came from the final pa board, found a cap had burnt, replaced the cap, no more smoke but have very little output power less than 1 watt, is there anyting i can check or someone honest to send it to, thanks for the help
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 05:00:11 PM »

Cap is likely a casualty, not the cause. I would bet the final is gone. You'd have to pull it and test it on a diode tester.

Those are 2SC2290 finals. $35 at RF Parts. Not sure if you need a matched pair or not. You may need a transmitter alignment if you replace it. Not sure myself, but others can here can help. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:05:23 PM by N4NYY » Logged
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 06:14:55 PM »

... someone honest to send it to, thanks for the help.
CONTACT Carol Maher, W4CLM at Certified Electronics in NW Georgia.
You MUST call or e-mail for a RA.  Well worth the repairs/restoration.
http://certifiedelectronics.org/certifiedelectronics.htm

FoxTango Group
http://foxtango.org/foxtango001.htm

KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 09:36:21 PM »

You also need to make sure what the reason has been. Could this be a problem of the antenna connection?
KB5NMA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 05:49:13 AM »

thanks all for the comments i was afraid the finals might be bad, i know the antenna was good it was connected to my dads th3 he uses every day, probably just send it in im pretty new at this its a bit over my head, thanks
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 09:09:41 AM »

thanks all for the comments i was afraid the finals might be bad, i know the antenna was good it was connected to my dads th3 he uses every day, probably just send it in im pretty new at this its a bit over my head, thanks

Good news is those finals are cheap. Have them go over it and fully align it, and you should be good to go. I would still check the antenna with a meter.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 09:18:01 AM »

...probably just send it in im pretty new at this its a bit over my head, thanks
Very wise decision. If you don't feel safe to do this rather have someone competent fix it.
KB5NMA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 03:16:03 PM »

well i took it appart one last time and found bad spot on the 100 watt pa board, repaired with a jumper wire and it puts out a full 100 watts thanks for all the help and suggestions 73's
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: